Wish Tone Match Block

cnaufel

Experienced
I miss a lot a TM block!
It could be implemented even with an external software for sounds comparison. The unit (hardware) would only receive/accept the TM block. Would improve a lot patches communality.

Not too much actually

The full Tone Match Block is not possible, since the Ax8 is not an audio interface, so the Ax8 will never be able to 'create' the tone match itself.

The best scenario for me would be that FAS released a VST plugin that could create the tone match block (I would pay for it) inside my DAW, and then the Ax8 would get a "Tone Match interpreter" block.

A tone match interpreter block is almost like a cab block, but it uses much less CPU. Whereas an UltraRes IR processes 24 bit 170 ms 48 kHz (8000 samples), a Tone Match only only processes 24 bit 48 kHz and ONE sample.

I think it could be done

Not too much actually

The full Tone Match Block is not possible, since the Ax8 is not an audio interface, so the Ax8 will never be able to 'create' the tone match itself.
The Axe-Fx 'Tone Match' block does not need USB audio to work. You can use 'Input 2' as the source. Then export the match as an IR that can be loaded into the cab block.

The best scenario for me would be that FAS released a VST plugin that could create the tone match block (I would pay for it) inside my DAW, and then the Ax8 would get a "Tone Match interpreter" block.
iZotope Ozone (and many others) can already do this if you use the AX8 analog outputs to an audio interface. Export the EQ match as a 'Wav' IR, Then use the free 'Cab Lab Lite' to convert it to an AX8 'syx' IR file that will work in the cab block.

But, a 'Tone Match' block would be awesome if possible........

Also....CPU is not really much of a problem though. You only need the 'Tone Match' block to do the matching process. Temporarily remove nonessential blocks for extra CPU. Once a good match is achieved, export it as an IR, Re-load the preset, load that new IR into the cab block.

Last edited:
A TM Block would be brilliant but I also would pay for a standalone piece of software or a quick easy compatible plugin. Izotopes Ozone plugin is great but its just more hoops to jump through for something I'm (almost) sure is technically possible

It is my understanding that the tonematch is one single Eq curve, e.g. an impulse response limited to one single point (sample) in time.

One-sample IRs would all sound identical. And harsh. A one-sample IR would be less than ten bytes long.

An ultrares IR is said to be 8000 samples = 1/48000 samples/s * 170 ms

So one sample here means one sample point in time, but I believe, one usually makes a frequency plot with 2048 points.

An IR is the response in frequency and time (including in-cab reverberations) from an idealized infinitely short white noise pulse.

An IR (Impulse Response) is the response over time of a system (in this case, a speaker cabinet) to an impulse, which is a burst of energy that's so fast that it takes zero time. The frequency response of the cab can be derived from its impulse response.

It's physically impossible to generate a true impulse, because that would require an immeasurably-fast burst of infinite energy, so other methods are used to derive the impulse response.

An IR file is a list of samples of the cab's response to the impulse, starting at zero seconds and running through various points in time.

Not too much actually

A tone match interpreter block is almost like a cab block, but it uses much less CPU. Whereas an UltraRes IR processes 24 bit 170 ms 48 kHz (8000 samples), a Tone Match only only processes 24 bit 48 kHz and ONE sample.

I think it could be done

Positive Grid just released (yesterday, I think) one VST plugin with EQ Match features.

That kind of approach would be sufficient to create an exclusive TM block and export it to the AX8 Edit ;-)
Could be a chargeable plugin that would complement the product, generate more revenues for FAS and also close a gap to keep commonality and power of the product families.

I wonder how hard it could be to create the TM in the AxeFX rack and export to the AX8. That with another person's suggestion of an AxeFX "convert" tool (to get your AxeFX presets and export them to the AX8) would actually convince a lot of people to have both units: one for home recording, tweaking and tone matching and the other for live play...

I wonder how hard it could be to create the TM in the AxeFX rack and export to the AX8.
You can export a TM as an IR.

That with another person's suggestion of an AxeFX "convert" tool (to get your AxeFX presets and export them to the AX8) would actually convince a lot of people to have both units: one for home recording, tweaking and tone matching and the other for live play...
Also available.

Not really, Al's tool does not convert TMs to IRs.
If I wanted to use a TM on Ax8, I would often want to use it in addition to a cab block. So I still need a TM interpreter in Ax8.

Not really, Al's tool does not convert TMs to IRs.
If I wanted to use a TM on Ax8, I would often want to use it in addition to a cab block. So I still need a TM interpreter in Ax8.
Personal use case, I guess. If your capture your TM from the front of your cab, then the cab is already built into the TM.

Back
Top Bottom