Tone experts, need your help..

GBminA

Andy Timmons - Deliver Us

For v10 i need this guitar tone at begining of the song.

Have any idea for amp, cab or preset?

I'm pretty sure Andy was using a Lonestar Classic at the time, which is in the Axe-FX - it's the TX Star Lead. He was also running in to a Boogie V30 cabinet. There's a video somewhere with his settings in it. Let me see if I can find it.

I'm pretty sure Andy was using a Lonestar Classic at the time, which is in the Axe-FX - it's the TX Star Lead. He was also running in to a Boogie V30 cabinet. There's a video somewhere with his settings in it. Let me see if I can find it.

Didn't know it's a V30 cab. Assumed it was the regular C90-loaded cab.

That's what I thought as well. That ain't no lonestar sound.
I have them both. Stilletto and lonestar. The stilletto is a little
different from many amps. It's sort of between a jcm800 and a
Rectifier but with a narrover spectrum. A little midrangy in a way.
But through a pa system it never gets harsh.

Ye, he mostly uses regular boogie Recto 2x12's with V30s. Resolution was recorded with a 68' Plexi and a 79' JMP (the Stiletto amp wasn't finished when he did this album), and live he uses the Stiletto for those tones :)

To my ears, I've come amazingly close (at least through my setup) with:

Studio compressor block (stock settings)
TX Star Lead (high MV, high treble, high mids, very low bass)- seems like I might turn up the low cut a bit in the advanced parameters.
BB Drive Block
Stereo cab with Basketweave G12M25 (67 cond mic) and Basketweave G12L (can't remember if I use 67 cond mic or R121).
2 delay blocks in parallel with 350ms panned hard to one side, 500ms panned hard to the other
Reverb (to taste)

That's what I remember off hand. I'll try to post my preset later when I'm at home.

Yep, I have a Stiletto as well. Hehe, if you check the gear list in my sig, you can probably see who's my inspiration for tone :D

Don`t forget the Tone Works Tube Driver!! Check the video in post #5 from around 4:30, goes through his setup there.

Hmmm.. We need a `79 JMP in the arsenal. Does anyone has a good one for Cliff :D

I believe the 68 Super Lead was used in conjunction with the Tube Driver for the leads and the 79 JMP was used for the cleans. It's all listed per song in his songbook for Resolution but it's at my studio right now so I cant verify. I will be able to verify tomorrow. Going on this supposition, you could try the plexi 100 model with the Tube Drive in front and a basketweave 4X12 and vintage 30 combo. I think the tubedriver has the gain up just a touch the tone set lower and the level set high. You can try this preset as a start but it's not optimized for V10 ( I think it's V6), however the delay and verb should be very close. You may need to reset the amp block or even change the amp model to Plexi 100. I think it may now default to plexi 50

I've never really bonded with the TX Star Lead amp, which has always been kind of depressing since I was hoping to sell my Lonestar Classic when I picked up my AxeFX2.... Anyway, I'm fairly certain that Cliff modeled channel 2 with the drive switch turned off. You can turn the saturation or boost on to compensate, but I've never really got it to sound much like my Lonestar.

I've actually had fairly decent luck getting an Andy Timmons tone out of a slightly tweaked version of the USA Lead preset. Generally I'll switch from the USA Lead Bright + to the USA Lead + and move the verb and echo parallel.

Back
Top Bottom