Tone control doesn't do anything until I tap on it

Sealed pots always made more sense to me in something handled a lot like a guitar. I don't know why more makers don't use them. You can get sealed conductive plastic pots that are rated for a million turns. You could adjust it 100 times a day, every day for 25 years and not wear one out. Impervious to beer, sweat, and whatever else that gets on a guitar. The few extra bucks it would cost is negligible in a high end instrument.

I suppose one potential downside might be the stiffer torque of a sealed pot due to the seal against the shaft. Though, I've never been a fan of "floppy knobs" myself, I know some players like low friction pots. I like them firm and to stay put! Loose pots just feel cheap to me.

Last edited:
So who makes good quality sealed audio taper pots?
I had some Bournes sealed ones a very long time ago, they were scratchy right out of the box, all of them.
What's the best place to buy them?

There's also a "CTS 300k Eric Johnson Split-Shaft Audio Potentiometer Vintage Style Volume Pot" at Vision, and this is for an EJ strat.

OTOH, the higher value would seem to make it brighter when it's all the way up, not what I'm after for the bridge position especially, regardless of what he likes..

Check Amazon for all of them... That one is $12.49 and free shipping. Less if you have Prime.

StewMac is expensive and they stick you on shipping.
Oddly enough, amazon itself only has the 500K solid shaft version.
Quick look only found the 259K split shaft at slow and/or poorly rated sellers.
Will look further when I have a chance.

Did you read the reviews for Pitbull?
25% negative in the past 30 days!

musicstorelive on ebay has a ton of good reviews, and one of the lowest prices, $12.99 with free USPS shipping.
Anyone dealt with them?
No... Sorry, I looked only at product reviews.

Back
Top Bottom