Tone Challenge: Funeral for a Friend - Memory and Humanity

Finaldo

Inspired
Check out the clips on iTunes. Particularly track 12, "Ghosts". It's got probably the best riff for hearing the tone without a lot of other stuff going on.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=293851309&id=293851211&s=143441
That's a link to the song, but definitely check out the other clips. Maybe some of you will actually like the band, too. They've changed their sound a bit over the past few albums. They lost me there on "Tales Don't Tell Themselves", but brought me back with this newest disc.

Can anyone match the tones there? They're not that bassy, but they're so thick. Obviously a lot of tracks going on there, but I'd like to hear how close people can get. After I get this MacBook Pro under control I'll record some clips of my attempts, too.

The proverbial gauntlet has been cast down!

FFAF's guitars are amazing on every album (i'm partial to Hours)

While the Blackstar site shows them as users, the last US tour I saw had them using Uberschalls and what looked like really old Peavy classic 30s each (or maybe one guitarist had a vox coupled with his bogner)... either way, this would be a good starting point for building the tone for this album, probably.

Either no one is interested or no one is reading this part of the forum. Only 33 views on the topic! :mrgreen:

I'll give the Uberschall a try. I haven't messed with that amp sim much at all.

At about 20 secs into the song, one can hear the guitars pretty well. But this is a full mix including bass, doubled (or even quad-tracked) guitars. So it's pretty hard use this as a reference, because you just don't know when you nailed the sound or not. I could give it a try, but I am sick at the moment. Wait a few days.

RiF said:
At about 20 secs into the song, one can hear the guitars pretty well. But this is a full mix including bass, doubled (or even quad-tracked) guitars. So it's pretty hard use this as a reference, because you just don't know when you nailed the sound or not. I could give it a try, but I am sick at the moment. Wait a few days.
An approximation would be cool. I tried the Uberschall last night and after lowering the gain a lot, and bringing the low-cut up to about 180hz, it sounded really good. I don't know how close it sounds to FFAF's tone, since I wasn't doing an A/B, and I'm not good at matching tones yet anyway, but what I came up with will probably sound good in a mix. This weekend I'll hopefully have some time to get my MBP up and running so that I can record on it, and I'll make some clips, and try some double-/quad-tracking, and see how they compare.

Back
Top Bottom