Tone Challenge: Ball and Biscuit (White Stripes)

ninja9

Inspired
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Iyfrymydc&feature=fvst

Love the raunchy tone. I think it's two amps, a Fender Twin Reverb and a Selmer Truvoice Zodiac Twin 30 (don't know much about this one). Also there may be a fuzz driving one or both of the amps. I'd like to match the reverb as well. Is that a plate?

I'm trying to nail it but if anyone else is interested then let me know if you can get close.

Cheers

Ninjas and shodans in here, so I had to jump in. Do you study Aikido, Shodan? I'd love to hear the Axe do this tone, too. Big White Stripes fan here. Doesn't Jack White typically use a Sears Silvertone amp?

Ninjas and shodans in here, so I had to jump in. Do you study Aikido, Shodan? I'd love to hear the Axe do this tone, too. Big White Stripes fan here. Doesn't Jack White typically use a Sears Silvertone amp?

Received my black belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu about ten years ago.

Right on. I studied Aikido for many years, and getting your black belt was called your "shodan". I didn't know other martial arts used that term, but that's obviously a "duh" moment now hehe

Received my black belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu about ten years ago.

Thanks for the bumps guys, I thought I was alone on this one. I found the following information about recording Elephant.

Actually he used a Selmer instead of the Silvertones for that album:

Tracking an Elephant

"There's no digital stuff at Toerag Studios-not even Pro Tools," says White. "They even hide the CD burner under a table!" To track Elephant, the vintage-sound zealot found a soul brother in Toerag Studios' owner/engineer Liam Watson, who has been tracking artists in his London, England, studio the old-fashioned way since 1991.

"We tracked on 1" analog tape using a Studer A-80 8-track," says Watson. "Jack used two amps for the sessions-his Fender Twin Reverb and a Selmer Truvoice Zodiac Twin 30. The Selmer took the place of his Silvertone amp, which he didn't want to ship to England. I close-miked the amps with Shure 545 and AKG D25 mics in various configurations. For acoustic-guitar tracks, a borrowed Martin was miked with a single STC 4038 ribbon mic. [A Burns acoustic was used for "It's True That We Love One Another."] Jack wanted to mic the acoustic in stereo for 'You've Got Her in Your Pocket,' and I never really do that. I had to pull out my BBC recording manual from the late '50s and look up some stereo-miking techniques!

"My mixer is a Calrec M Series broadcast console from the early '80s. The company is more famous for its microphones, but they've been making mixing desks since the '60s-mainly for the BBC. I think they're better than Neve boards.

"I realize my studio only appeals to a certain type of musician. I mean, we only used one piece of outboard gear for the entire Elephant album, and that was a Urei 1176 compressor for one vocal track. I have no problem with computers-I've heard good albums made that way-but they don't interest me, and you really don't need all that stuff. Up until 1968, there wasn't a studio in Britain that had more than four tracks, and think about all the great records by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and others that were made during that time."

I can approximate the amp sounds (one clean boosted and the other driven by a fuzz) but I can't find IRs that get me in the ballpark for FR, nor can I match the reverb. Was playing around with a tape drive at the end of the signal chain to simulate the analog recording setup outlined above, but it needs work.

I'm sure someone can help us out here, the name DonPetersen comes to mind....

Anyone?

bill-the-cat-ack.jpg

dunno what's worse... the awful guitar or that completely out of time/grooveless 'drumming'.

anyway...

Attachments

• Ball and Biscuit.syx
    2 KB · Views: 115
LOL - I understand they're not everyone's cup of tea, but you have to give him credit for his different approach. I watched "It Might Get Loud" awhile back (great movie and worth watching, imo) and it really upped my respect for the guy. I'll load up your patch when I'm not at work and give it a go. Thanks, Don :)

bill-the-cat-ack.jpg

dunno what's worse... the awful guitar or that completely out of time/grooveless 'drumming'.

anyway...

LOL - I understand they're not everyone's cup of tea, but you have to give him credit for his different approach.

no.

:)

I admire musicians that have a 'different' approach - Tom Waits, Cap. Beefheart, Frank Zappa, James Blood Ulmer.
I listen to old school blues from Howlin Wolf, Blind Lemon Jefferson, John Lee Hooker (especially the older stuff) to Muddy Waters etc.

JW is just an indie-hipster's idea of a cartoon bluesman with a dressing disorder

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess ;) Thanks for taking what must have been a painful stab at his sound, anyways. I'm eager to check out your patch tonight, as well as try out that new IR Sorter that I finally got installed. good times!

Thanks Don, I understand your point of view and listen to those old blues guys too. I do really like the White Stripes guitar sounds and production, even though it is entirely retrospective.

Thanks for your help here, I'll try out your patch when I get my gear back from the studio tonight. The recording sounds like two amps panned L and R, so I'll take your patch and try to expand on it.

yeah, like I said, I like the sounds, but the player...

it is two amps panned pretty hard L & R with the usual one is darker, one has more reverb on it - mix technique, but I didn't want to spend all that time, so I made it a one amp patch and panned the reverb. That captures the essence pretty well.

Never heard of the group. I was hypnotized with the beat! I heard shades of Hendrix and Prince - only well behaved. :lol Love the Fender sound!

Back
Top Bottom