Tommy Shaw baddassery

Styx was my 1st foray into music, when I went to friends house as a kid and they had Pieces of Eight on a wall mounted reel to reel tape deck ( yea this was a long time ago lol).
That being said Tommy was always my favorite in the group and just an amazing talent.

I saw this whole concert on AXS TV - always liked Tommy Shaw stuff. Big Styx fan in Jr. High and high School. But when Kilroy came out, it was the first Styx album I didn't buy. I had all of their previous albums, even the first 5 without Tommy Shaw on them. (He joined them on their Crystal Ball album.)
Also, this live version has the extra verse to Crystal Ball that he wrote and it wasn't recorded on the studio album.

Lots of aging singers don't sound like a fraction of their younger selves. (anyone remember the David Lee Roth thread from a month ago).
And many play it off as - hey, you get older your body changes, you can't do what you did as a younger man.

THIS is the proof that you can be as good or better....IF you take care of yourself and perfect your craft.

I saw this whole concert on AXS TV - always liked Tommy Shaw stuff. Big Styx fan in Jr. High and high School. But when Kilroy came out, it was the first Styx album I didn't buy. I had all of their previous albums, even the first 5 without Tommy Shaw on them. (He joined them on their Crystal Ball album.)
Also, this live version has the extra verse to Crystal Ball that he wrote and it wasn't recorded on the studio album.
He's from here in Montgomery, AL, and still a big legend. Still visits his family here. There are still a number of musicians playing here that played with him in great local bands before he got the Styx call. One of my fave local bands does the full version of Crystal Ball.

Man, I hated Kilroy. It really put me off Styx for a long time, and I was a big fan at the time.

This shows his songs are truly songs. Take away the screaming electric guitars (which I do enjoy), the synthesizers and do it all with acoustic instruments and a powerful voice and it has just as much, if not more, to offer.

Still sings his a$$ off don't he!
Guitar seemed pretty dated to me though, and I'm an old geezer myself. Good player, but still.
Crack band!
Pretty cool how they grab all those harmonies more or less on the fly, though like Daryl said, they have so many singers, the notes just get covered by someone. Also, who knows how many takes we didn't hear.

Still sings his a$$ off don't he!
Guitar seemed pretty dated to me though, and I'm an old geezer myself. Good player, but still.
Crack band!
Pretty cool how they grab all those harmonies more or less on the fly, though like Daryl said, they have so many singers, the notes just get covered by someone. Also, who knows how many takes we didn't hear.

I don't get the feeling they do many takes. I would think that Daryl and Guest have a conversation about what songs to do. Then they have a meeting with the full band where they go over if they want to make any changes how to end songs, etc. The band goes off and runs through the material.

Then the artist shows up. They're pretty much dialed in, but such good musicians that they can change things up on the fly.

I don't get the feeling they do many takes. I would think that Daryl and Guest have a conversation about what songs to do. Then they have a meeting with the full band where they go over if they want to make any changes how to end songs, etc. The band goes off and runs through the material.

Then the artist shows up. They're pretty much dialed in, but such good musicians that they can change things up on the fly.

You are correct - they agree on the songs in advance, and Darryl's band learns and rehearses them before the featured artist arrives for the show.

Back
Top Bottom