Tom Scholz Hyperspace effect

i'm pretty certain someone else did a better one. doesn't the original have a dual axis of rotation on the foot controller? i seem to remember him being able to control feedback and time separately. haven't got time to look it up now. maybe we need a new version...

I did one for the 4E pedal. I can't seem to find it right now. I will try to make a new one this weekend.
(Link removed for slam filter)
Sorry to reply to a thread from February, but did you ever get around to this?
I have a 4E pedal that I tried to use with my Helix (before buying a III two months ago) and I just couldn't get it to sound musical.

I spent much of the weekend trying to replicate the Hyperspace. To little avail. I had minor success with the Sweep Delay (see my Brownies preset) but it's still a long way off. @simeon, have you had a go at this one?

Now you see why I am not to fawned of the converting from fractool. people knock on me for saying that but you see why I say that lol

the hyperspace is really just a tape delay, but the trick is you can adjust feedback and time simultaneously because the pedal has two axes of rotation. if you have a regular expression pedal, then using the tape delay and attaching the pedal to time and feedback simultaneously is pretty fun and sounds cool,

Last edited:
the hyperspace is really just a tape delay, but the trick is you can adjust feedback and time simultaneously because the pedal has two axes of rotation. if you have a regular expression pedal, then using the tape delay and attaching the pedal to time and feedback is pretty fun and sounds cool,
I've read here that you need to modulate the motor speed does that replicate the same thing as feedback and time? I also read elsewhere that a filter is needed to keep things from getting out of hand not sure if that is the case with a digital version or not. I have tried in the passed without any real luck.

Attached is my take on a kitchen sink Boston preset! (FM9 3.0 beta) running about 73% CPU. The only thing missing here is the Hyperspace effect!

Preset 1 Clean
Preset 2 Chorus
Preset 3 Delay/Verb
Preset 4 Slap Back
Preset 5 Delay
Preset 6 Flange swell
Preset 7 Heavy Dry
Preset 8 Heavy Mid

EX Switch 1 is set up preset 6 for the volume swell trick in Don't look back!
EX switches 2-3 are for the expression pedals (I'm running a dB instruments 4e) that incorporates your feedback trick and a heavy verb for the deep space sounds.

Attachments

• Boston.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I've read here that you need to modulate the motor speed does that replicate the same thing as feedback and time?
yeah, motor speed. same result as modulating time. feedback is a separate parameter.

attach your pedal to motor speed and also to feedback. you can use the eq in the delay block itself if you need to, but it should probably be fine. set the delay time so that you can sweep between two useful values at min and max of motor speed. if you want to be clever, you can set the delay block to bypass when the pedal is at max or min with the bypass mode set to "mute fx in".

yeah, motor speed. same result as modulating time. feedback is a separate parameter.

attach your pedal to motor speed and also to feedback. you can use the eq in the delay block itself if you need to, but it should probably be fine. set the delay time so that you can sweep between two useful values at min and max of motor speed. if you want to be clever, you can set the delay block to bypass when the pedal is at max or min with the bypass mode set to "mute fx in".
Thanks for the tips I will give that a shot! If you have the time I would love to hear your thoughts on the preset I posted.

Thanks again!

the hyperspace is really just a tape delay, but the trick is you can adjust feedback and time simultaneously because the pedal has two axes of rotation. if you have a regular expression pedal, then using the tape delay and attaching the pedal to time and feedback simultaneously is pretty fun and sounds cool,
That's correct. I made a pretty convincing Hyperspace patch.

Back
Top Bottom