Tom Brady

Sure, mo' money is better ... but really. To go through all that work and pain when even at a discount you've still made well north of 9 figures, and your wife is richer than you? ;-) Don't think Tom needs the $.

I think Trev is closer to it. Whether it's a "drug" or being "driven to prove himself" or just "I love doing this, and I'm still good at it." Or some combo of all those.

I hated it, I’ll say that first. It’s a miracle they won as many games as they did with that roster last year. Checking Tampa Bay, they are returning 4 stud receivers, 2 that posted 1000+ last year with a QB tossing interceptions and touchdowns 1 to 1 all year. Running back is solid. And it’s a challenge. Someone with that much hardware needs something crazy hard. I get it.

I‘d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping he’d stay a Pat or retire. I think that would be the iconic image, and even good for the game. But, apparently it isn’t good for him and he deserves to do what he wants. Can’t say I’ll be a Tampa Bay fan. But I’ll still be a TB12 fan.

I took it as alluding to retirement, not staying with the Pats.

A buddy of mine said the same thing. I just know that when a majority of my friends and family, hardcore Pats fans, saw that commercial, they practically cried tears of joy thinking he wasn’t going to another team.

I‘d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping he’d stay a Pat or retire. I think that would be the iconic image, and even good for the game. But, apparently it isn’t good for him and he deserves to do what he wants. Can’t say I’ll be a Tampa Bay fan. But I’ll still be a TB12 fan.

I’m with ya, man. Honestly, I’m not a huge football fan. I’ve never been into sports much at all, but growing up in NE, being a Pats fan is pretty much born into you. I’m a bigger Pats fan than I am a football fan, if that makes sense. I can still watch other games and enjoy them if the Pats aren’t playing, but you won’t see me on the edge of my seat for most of the game.

My wife had a bit of a flip out session last night and I made one attempt at playing Devil’s Advocate, then just let her rant. She’s 31, so for 2/3’s her life, Brady/Belichick was a staple. I can understand the sadness and anger. I had a brief period in the 90’s, when I was in elementary school, that I followed football, then I didn’t watch a single game for almost 20 years. Moving back to New England in 2008 is when I really started enjoying the game again and became a full on Pats fan.

Is now a Buccaneer. Pats will go 8-8 if they're lucky this year. Bucs won't fare much better.
True. I am in Tampa am not happy about this. This is not a long term move and merely kicks the can down the road for the Bucs ongoing quarterback struggles IMO (not their only struggle)

Arians is looking to prioritize winning now over long term viability. Not convinced his plan is going to work.

True. I am in Tampa am not happy about this. This is not a long term move and merely kicks the can down the road for the Bucs ongoing quarterback struggles IMO (not their only struggle)

Arians is looking to prioritize winning now over long term viability. Not convinced his plan is going to work.
Ha ha yep, reminds me of Montana going to the Chiefs back in the day.

Belichick had already played his cards to move on from Brady with Jimmy Garapolo. Coach hoodie has his methods and he sticks with them. It's been successful for him even when those decisions aren't popular, and I think he knows what he's doing. You could easily make the argument that Garapolo would have already transitioned the Pats into the next phase, but it seems that Kraft strong-armed Belichick into keeping Brady....not the worst move he ever made...but...now we're seeing why coach B needed to move on. Garapolo seems to be a legit NFL quarterback.

I'm really interested to see how all of this plays out. Will be adding Bucs games to my viewing list. Sure, TB is no long term answer for Tampa Bay, but for the couple of years he's got left, I'd get a kick out of seeing him turn them around and make the playoffs...just as it would be great to see the Pats surprise everyone with a successful new look. Interesting times for sure. Embrace the change. Why not?

IMO.

Brady and Belichick have made their mark upon history. Only 2 questions remain:

-Belichick was a losing coach before 'brilliantly' discovering Brady in the 5th round as an afterthought...and being forced to start him after Bledsoe's injury. Can he garner the 'buy in' that he did when Brady was at the helm? He's a great coach, but there's an asterisk there that he was solid in the most important position in the game for 20 years. Can he do it without him?
-Brady wants to see how he squares up against the league when he is not in a system that is completely revolved around his 'best of all time' talent. A new start, a different playbook. A warmer sun. Who knows. (I may not like the Pats...but Brady is clearly the best QB that has played the game.)

IMO.

Brady and Belichick have made their mark upon history. Only 2 questions remain:

-Belichick was a losing coach before 'brilliantly' discovering Brady in the 5th round as an afterthought...and being forced to start him after Bledsoe's injury. Can he garner the 'buy in' that he did when Brady was at the helm? He's a great coach, but there's an asterisk there that he was solid in the most important position in the game for 20 years. Can he do it without him?
-Brady wants to see how he squares up against the league when he is not in a system that is completely revolved around his 'best of all time' talent. A new start, a different playbook. A warmer sun. Who knows. (I may not like the Pats...but Brady is clearly the best QB that has played the game.)
I think this pretty squarely says it... like my wife and I, it was a million to one we’d end up together based on situation and locale, but we were destined to do great things once we found one another. On the flip side, I don’t intend to find out if it would have turned out the same alone.

And that’s my feeling, from Montana to Brady. YOU are not the same, and as it was with Manning, even if you win it all the media is going to paint you as a hindrance rather than a help. I wish Tom success in his move. I hope he has a statistically glorious season and takes the Bucs to a Super Bowl win in an undefeated season. You know why? Because I’m a Bucs fan now? No. Because I think this will actually happen? No.

Because anything less is going to be called a failure. That’s the media today, and sadly, that‘s many, if not most, sports fans these days.

Because anything less is going to be called a failure. That’s the media today, and sadly, that‘s many, if not most, sports fans these days.
Sadly, this is too true. The world of 'hot takes' we live in has no room for anything less. And even if you do, they're going to try to find some negative... or while you're still on the championship podium they'll ask you "so, can you do it again next year?"

Back
Top Bottom