Tom Anderson vintage tremolo opinions

vtckf

Hi curious how folks feel about the TAG vintage tremolo. Considering a new axe but can’t decide on the vintage vs the non fine tuner Floyd. Not a huge user but want a good ol VH dive bomb on occasion. Would appreciate any info you feel like sharing

No experience with either but generally 2-post trems return to pitch better.

Also, the FR has locking saddles which will be better for tuning stability.

I have one in my Icon and it's great. I would definitely recommend the Anderson vintage tremolo.

I came so close to buying a used Anderson S (I think it was a Classic); it had the Anderson Vintage trem, and it was amazingly wonderful. Full dive capability, and totally returned to zero both for dives and for regular bending on the fretboard. Now this one was blocked for dive only, which always helps, but I loved it. I hate the idea of knife edges that can wear over time, but it may not at all be a problem with an Anderson; it just felt so damn good. Best of luck with it!

No experience with either but generally 2-post trems return to pitch better.

Also, the FR has locking saddles which will be better for tuning stability.

The Anderson Vintage Trem is a 2 point trem. At least on the S model I tried, I think the vintage is a better option, because tuning stability was completely perfect, and didn't require fine tuners. Also, because the one I tried was blocked for dive only, you could move to different tuning and still use the trem on the fly. Now that I'm writing about this in detail, I'm kicking myself for not having bought it!

The Anderson Vintage Trem is a 2 point trem. At least on the S model I tried, I think the vintage is a better option, because tuning stability was completely perfect, and didn't require fine tuners. Also, because the one I tried was blocked for dive only, you could move to different tuning and still use the trem on the fly. Now that I'm writing about this in detail, I'm kicking myself for not having bought it!
Ah, my bad... I assumed vintage meant 6-screw.

Thanks for clarifying.

Older ones are the Gotoh 1099 also with logo. Tiny studs on these would stop me recommending it particularly in softwoods as they lean forwards under the pressure.

Last edited:
Same trem and factory but yes you'r right this is a mod for TA. It only affects the terms ability to stay in place without the strings .

@Andy Eagle That’s interesting, and disheartening, if it’s actually a cheap unit, i.e., if in this instance that means it’s made with an alloy that might wear more easily, on such an expensive guitar. In my experience, so many Floyds tend to wear easily enough not to return to zero, and many of their lines are also made in Korea, though I’m not skeptical about Korean guitar parts in general. I have not had good luck with Schaller made Floyds in the past either, except for the long defunct Speedloader, whose demise still infuriates me to remember (even then there was no tone, to my ears). Of course, blocking for Dive only will help regardless, with tone and. But with a similar setup, I’m curious to know the tonal difference between the TA 2 point and the non fine tune Floyd, because my inclination is always against the locking saddles / nut unless truly unavoidable.

For trems in general I’m most hopeful about the non-knife edge idea either of a Vega-Trem or Super-Vee Bladerunner (really I just like hyphenated names), not that I’d want to spend even more money to upgrade an Anderson. If I were buying an Anderson, a huge part of it for me would be the fact that every part would hopefully be well engineered and well made, but knife edges just seem like an idea that should’ve been abandoned as a beta idea across the board long ago.

@Andy Eagle That’s interesting, and disheartening, if it’s actually a cheap unit, i.e., if in this instance that means it’s made with an alloy that might wear more easily, on such an expensive guitar. In my experience, so many Floyds tend to wear easily enough not to return to zero, and many of their lines are also made in Korea, though I’m not skeptical about Korean guitar parts in general. I have not had good luck with Schaller made Floyds in the past either, except for the long defunct Speedloader, whose demise still infuriates me to remember (even then there was no tone, to my ears). Of course, blocking for Dive only will help regardless, with tone and. But with a similar setup, I’m curious to know the tonal difference between the TA 2 point and the non fine tune Floyd, because my inclination is always against the locking saddles / nut unless truly unavoidable.

For trems in general I’m most hopeful about the non-knife edge idea either of a Vega-Trem or Super-Vee Bladerunner (really I just like hyphenated names), not that I’d want to spend even more money to upgrade an Anderson. If I were buying an Anderson, a huge part of it for me would be the fact that every part would hopefully be well engineered and well made, but knife edges just seem like an idea that should’ve been abandoned as a beta idea across the board long ago.

I have them all on different guitars. The old model Anderson vintage is fine but I like the non-fine tuner Floyd better

I have never bonded with the blade runner, I am about to put two up for sale as I have swapped them out for Vega's
In my opinion, the Vega is the best trem currently available

I have them all on different guitars. The old model Anderson vintage is fine but I like the non-fine tuner Floyd better

I have never bonded with the blade runner, I am about to put two up for sale as I have swapped them out for Vega's
How is the intonation travel range of the saddles on the Vega-Trem? I read on one forum that there’s not much room for travel.

Last edited:

Also, what did you not like about the Bladerunner?

Also, what did you not like about the Bladerunner?

It is pretty stiff. I am not a dive bomber, mostly just a soft flutter. The blade runner just doesn't give me that fine, smooth feel. There is also something about it that looks a little cheap. I'm not going to say I hate it, Just not as nice as the NFT Floyd or vega.

The thing I have not tried is the Sophia or the Floyd rail tail. Both look interesting but you lose the vintage strat look

Another thing to note.
The NFT Floyds are made in Korea. If that implies anything about quality then you have to consider it.

Another thing to note.
The NFT Floyds are made in Korea. If that implies anything about quality then you have to consider it.
I don’t think it does imply anything, really. I know they were using cheaper alloys at some point that wore more easily on the posts and baseplate knife edges, but I’ve had the same problem with the German made ones. I thank a low quality part is tied to a specific factory in a country, not to the country of origin. And some really fantastic lutherie in general comes out of Korea.

Back
Top Bottom