Toggling Scenes.... a glitch or a feature?

I resemble a lot of these remarks. I don't want destination on the scribble; I want the current scene. With the FC configured how I have it; the scene toggle switch's scribble shows the "next" scene but the FC display shows the current scene. Which is super useful.

In L6 land; all the "you're doing it wrong" lands on tones. Because there's always some thing you missed (OH SPLIT CHAIN SIDE COMPRESSION LOW CUT OF 300HZ STACKED DRIVE PEDALS) to get it to not sound like s**t. With Fractal; the "you're doing it wrong" always lands on the configuration side of things. Because the tones is never in question :hearteyes:

This could make it either more confusing or help to achieve what some of us have been talking about. Re-label your scene names so they are the opposite. That way its says in the scribble the name of the scene that you are on.
What happens then when you use a different footswitch to change to a different preset? What should the old footswitch show?

Example: your footswitch toggles between Scene 1 and scene 2. You’ve labeled it to show “opposite,” as you suggested above. Now you use another footswitch to go to scene 3. What should your original scene1/scene 2 footswitch show you in its mini display?

What happens then when you use a different footswitch to change to a different preset? What should the old footswitch show?

Example: your footswitch toggles between Scene 1 and scene 2. You’ve labeled it to show “opposite,” as you suggested above. Now you use another footswitch to go to scene 3. What should your original scene1/scene 2 footswitch show you in its mini display?
Whatever you want, idk.

Whatever you want, idk.
I already have what I want. I’m just trying to wrap my head around what people are asking for. They don’t want it to display the destination scene. They kind of want it to display the current scene, but they’re not happy with that, ether. But so far, no one has offered a clear description of what they really want.

I already have what I want. I’m just trying to wrap my head around what people are asking for. They don’t want it to display the destination scene. They kind of want it to display the current scene, but they’re not happy with that, ether. But so far, no one has offered a clear description of what they really want.
Switch 1: Toggle Scene 1/4, switch display “Current Scene”
Switch 2: Toggle Scene 2/5, switch display “Current Scene”
Switch 3: Toggle Scene 3/6, switch display “Current Scene”

Scene 1 name: Sound A
Scene 2 name: Sound B
Scene 3 name: Sound C
Scene 4 name: Sound D
Scene 5 name: Sound E
Scene 6 name: Sound F

Current behaviour:
Scene 1 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound A] [Sound A] [Sound A]
Scene 4 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound D] [Sound D] [Sound D]

Desired behaviour:
Scene 1 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound A] [Sound B] [Sound C]
Scene 4 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound D] [Sound B] [Sound C]

Hope that’s clear

Switch 1: Toggle Scene 1/4, switch display “Current Scene”
Switch 2: Toggle Scene 2/5, switch display “Current Scene”
Switch 3: Toggle Scene 3/6, switch display “Current Scene”

Scene 1 name: Sound A
Scene 2 name: Sound B
Scene 3 name: Sound C
Scene 4 name: Sound D
Scene 5 name: Sound E
Scene 6 name: Sound F

Current behaviour:
Scene 1 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound A] [Sound A] [Sound A]
Scene 4 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound D] [Sound D] [Sound D]

Desired behaviour:
Scene 1 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound A] [Sound B] [Sound C]
Scene 4 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound D] [Sound B] [Sound C]

Hope that’s clear
Thank you. To make sure I understand:

When scene 4 is active, you want switch 3 to show Sound C, even if the next stomp on that switch will take you to Sound F. Correct?

Thank you. To make sure I understand:

When scene 4 is active, you want switch 3 to show Sound C, even if the next stomp on that switch will take you to Sound F. Correct?
It won't take me to Sound F. When Scene 4 is active, pressing switch 3 once will engage Scene 3 (Sound C), pressing switch 3 again will engage Scene 6 (Sound F). That's currently how Scene Toggle works and that behaviour is absolutely fine and does what's expected.

It won't take me to Sound F. When Scene 4 is active, pressing switch 3 once will engage Scene 3 (Sound C), pressing switch 3 again will engage Scene 6 (Sound F). That's currently how Scene Toggle works and that behaviour is absolutely fine and does what's expected.
Okay, I get it now.

I think that should be the expected behavior when Destination is the label. Maybe a bug?

Picture it this way.... if you stomped on ANY analog pedal on a pedalboard, ALL the other pedals on the board light up too. Hit any pedal again and they all turn off. That’s not useful at all.

Clearly each pedal should come on and off without setting off the other pedals.

On the FM3, if I engage scene 2... all the buttons display scene 2. If I engage scene 4... all the buttons display scene 4. That’s completely useless.

Sean Meredith-Jones

On the FM3, if I engage scene 2... all the buttons display scene 2. If I engage scene 4... all the buttons display scene 4. That’s completely useless.

Sean Meredith-Jones
That’s why I don’t use the Current Scene option. It’s of no use to me, either. But some users requested it, so it was added as an option.

Okay, I get it now.

I think that should be the expected behavior when Destination is the label. Maybe a bug?
Well, I certainly think this current behaviour is a bug. But according to this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-names-on-fm3-mini-labels.161718/post-1937390 @Matt basically shut it down because the current behaviour (baffling as it is), is apparently the desired behaviour of some big artist. If that's really the case, my suggestion would be that there would be another option that works the way I suggested above, which would be a lot more useful for almost certainly more users.

That’s why I don’t use the Current Scene option. It’s of no use to me, either. But some users requested it, so it was added as an option.
Yes, they got it half right then. It should display the current status of that specific switch, and leave the others unaffected.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I would also add another modifier.

Suppose I setup scenes 1-3 sequentially. Then I want scenes 4-6 sequentially by toggling each switch. So far that works.

Now let’s say I’m on scene 6 and I want to go back to scene 4. The display for that scene will display scene 4 even though it’s not active. If I engage it, the switch will toggle to scene 1... so I have to hit it again to toggle back to scene 4.

Perhaps a modifier that it requires a quick double tap to toggle each switch. A single tap engages the scene labelled... and a quick double tap toggles the switch.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Last edited:
Yes, they got it half right then. It should display the current status of that specific switch, and leave the others unaffected.

Sean Meredith-Jones
That part I still don't understand. What is the value of knowing what scene you would have been on if that other switch was "in charge?"

I only care about two things: what is the current Scene, and what scene will I be on if I stomp this switch.

That part I still don't understand. What is the value of knowing what scene you would have been on if that other switch was "in charge?"

I only care about two things: what is the current Scene, and what scene will I be on if I stomp this switch.
I think I see our disconnect. There is an inherent flaw in the toggle scenario as I outlined before. It would be manageable only if the scenes were organized sequentially and there was no scene change scheduled to occur out of sequence.... then it gets messy.

If we had three actions selectable, that would solve everything.

Tap, Double Tap, or hold.

A tap engages whatever scene the display shows. A double tap toggles that switch to it’s stand in counterpart. That way, you could always return to the scene on the display.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I think I see our disconnect. There is an inherent flaw in the toggle scenario as I outlined before. It would be manageable only if the scenes were organized sequentially and there was no scene change scheduled to occur out of sequence.... then it gets messy.

If we had three actions selectable, that would solve everything.

Tap, Double Tap, or hold.

A tap engages whatever scene the display shows. A double tap toggles that switch to it’s stand in counterpart. That way, you could always return to the scene on the display.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Help me understand. What's a "stand in counterpart?"

Help me understand. What's a "stand in counterpart?"
Whoops.... I actually meant counterpart... as the whole point of this is to eliminate the need for a stand in switch to access more scenes. So for me, Switch 1 is set to toggle scenes 1 and 4. So Scene 1's counterpart is Scene 4.... in my brain....ha.

I think I can swing it if I only have 1 switch set to toggle.... any more than that, and it can get confusing real fast as they will all display the same scene # if they're set to current #.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Whoops.... I actually meant counterpart... as the whole point of this is to eliminate the need for a stand in switch to access more scenes. So for me, Switch 1 is set to toggle scenes 1 and 4. So Scene 1's counterpart is Scene 4.... in my brain....ha.

I think I can swing it if I only have 1 switch set to toggle.... any more than that, and it can get confusing real fast as they will all display the same scene # if they're set to current #.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Okay, but isn’t that what we have now? A tap takes you to the scene in the display. If you tap that switch twice, and it takes you to its toggle counterpart.

Sean Meredith-Jones
I think the thing to remember is that the literal name of the label is "current name".

There is only ever one current scene and hence only ever 1 current name for that scene.

I'm in the camp that never uses this, though I do understand what you're asking for, which is basically: show the scene in use for the scene toggle button that I last pressed but don't change the other scene toggle switches I haven't pressed.

I still personally don't understand the need for the switch to show what scene is currently in use. You won't then know what scene it will go to (except from memory) when you press it.

Additionally, as mentioned before, the current scene name displayed in big text on the main display.

Anyway... This isn't the first time the topic has come up.

Your best option is to submit a wish for an alternate behavior.

Okay, but isn’t that what we have now? A tap takes you to the scene in the display. If you tap that switch twice, and it takes you to its toggle counterpart.
Yes. The trouble begins when I click fs 3.... for example. Now the mini display on fs 1 displays scene 3 as well.... even though it’s use is for scenes 1 & 4. I’ll just not look back I guess. Lol.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Back
Top Bottom