Toggling Scenes.... a glitch or a feature?

smj

Inspired
Hey folks,

I'm an FM3 newb...but chipping my way through it.

I was exploring having each switch toggle scenes... and I got that working using FM3 Edit... switch 1 toggles scenes 1 & 4, switch 2 toggles 2 & 5 and so on. My brain prefers seeing the current state of the button, not the destination... so I set all of the switches to display the current scene #.

If I set all three switches to display the current scene #, what ends up happening is they will all display the same scene number. So if I select scene 1 on switch one... switches 2 and 3 will also display scene 1. If I toggle switch one to scene 4.... the other two switches will display scene 4 as well.

It works fine if I set them all to display the destination scene #.... they all function independently. It seems though doing it this way ends up grouping them all together which isn't desirable. Is this a feature or a bug???? ha.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Hey folks,

I'm an FM3 newb...but chipping my way through it.

I was exploring having each switch toggle scenes... and I got that working using FM3 Edit... switch 1 toggles scenes 1 & 4, switch 2 toggles 2 & 5 and so on. My brain prefers seeing the current state of the button, not the destination... so I set all of the switches to display the current scene #.

If I set all three switches to display the current scene #, what ends up happening is they will all display the same scene number. So if I select scene 1 on switch one... switches 2 and 3 will also display scene 1. If I toggle switch one to scene 4.... the other two switches will display scene 4 as well.

It works fine if I set them all to display the destination scene #.... they all function independently. It seems though doing it this way ends up grouping them all together which isn't desirable. Is this a feature or a bug???? ha.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Let’s think about this for a minute. You have each switch set up to display the name on of the current scene. There can only be one current scene — the scene you’re currently on. If you have three switches set up to display the current scene, you’ve set all three switches to display the exact same thing. Which is what they’re doing. :)

I went through this same scenario and posted about it with no answers. It would be better for me as well if you could invert the scenes name on toggle.
Why? If you have a footswitch that toggles between Scene 2 and Scene 3, and you’re currently on scene 1, then an inverted name would just show you what scene you would have been on if you had stomped that switch when it was in a different state than it is now. It won!t show you where you are or where you’re going. That seems like it would be confusing.

I'd much rather the other switches just stay as they were, ie. dim light and name of the last current channel they were used for. There's no need for them to change in response to the toggling of the switch I'm using. It's distracting and looks off to me.

When you have several Scene Toggles in one View, the “Both #” is a pretty good label option. For switches that don’t include the current scene, they’ll just show both numbers for that switch (e.g. 3/4). For the switch that includes the current scene, it will be surrounded by brackets instead (e.g. [3]4).

And note that the main display already shows the current scene name ;)

Yes you’re absolutely right. I’ve never gigged with it before... I’m sure I’d get used to it, but i could see it throwing me off if the mini display was showing me one thing and the main display showing me another if I had the switch set for destination #.

Why? If you have a footswitch that toggles between Scene 2 and Scene 3, and you’re currently on scene 1, then an inverted name would just show you what scene you would have been on if you had stomped that switch when it was in a different state than it is now. It won!t show you where you are or where you’re going. That seems like it would be confusing.

My goal here was to have 9 virtual switches quickly accessible. The press action of each switch set to toggle scenes to give me 6 scenes total. The hold feature of each switch would be to change presets and access the tuner... but I’d never really need to do that during a song.

In the end, I figured it to be a dead end. If I had setup the scenes sequentially 1-6 in a tune, and suddenly I needed to get back to scene I’d already been on, I’d have to toggle the switch twice to get the one I wanted.

Sean Meredith-Jones

When you have several Scene Toggles in one View, the “Both #” is a pretty good label option. For switches that don’t include the current scene, they’ll just show both numbers for that switch (e.g. 3/4). For the switch that includes the current scene, it will be surrounded by brackets instead (e.g. [3]4).

Yes I played around with that option. At the moment, I assume absolute stupidity when I gig w/it for the first time, so I don’t want to be looking for brackets!

I have an old FS3x 3 button footswitch. I’m rather keen on not having an extra pedal, but may dedicate two of its switches for scenes 5 & 6 or something. It’d be great if I could use the third switch on it, but I don’t see how I can get more than two to function.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I still don't get it.

If I had setup the scenes sequentially 1-6 in a tune, and suddenly I needed to get back to scene I’d already been on, I’d have to toggle the switch twice to get the one I wanted.
You'd have to tap the switch either once or twice, depending on which scene you were trying to get back to. I still don't see the value of having a switch tell you "the scene where this switch would have taken you to if it were in a different state than the state it's in."

Maybe inverted wasn't the right word or I wasn't clear. On my Axe3 rig with my FC-12 showing all scenes, I push the one I need and can see the name of it. On the FM3, when you toggle two scenes on one button you get what the scene is if you were
to push it and not what scene you are currently on. I would like it to show what scene I'm on and not what it will be.

Maybe inverted wasn't the right word or I wasn't clear. On my Axe3 rig with my FC-12 showing all scenes, I push the one I need and can see the name of it. On the FM3, when you toggle two scenes on one button you get what the scene is if you were
to push it and not what scene you are currently on. I would like it to show what scene I'm on and not what it will be.
To get it to show the scene you're on, use Current Name or Current Number for the label. Or do you want it to display something other than the current scene?

To get it to show the scene you're on, use Current Name or Current Number for the label. Or do you want it to display something other than the current scene?
I tried that and it changed the other buttons. All the years of pushing presets and scenes and having them show what I was pressing is throwing me I guess. I see the usefulness but if I press lead when I'm going into a solo and it says clean all of a sudden it throws me. Something to get use to I suppose.

I tried that and it changed the other buttons. All the years of pushing presets and scenes and having them show what I was pressing is throwing me I guess. I see the usefulness but if I press lead when I'm going into a solo and it says clean all of a sudden it throws me. Something to get use to I suppose.
That's why I don't use the "Current Scene" labels. I stomp a footswitch to get to where I'm going, not to stay where I am currently. I want that switch to tell me where it's going.

I can see some value in having a toggle tell you the current scene — if there's only one scene toggle. As soon as you get two or more toggle switches, you have multiple footswitches all labeled the same, and that helps no one. ;)

That's why I don't use the "Current Scene" labels. I stomp a footswitch to get to where I'm going, not to stay where I am currently. I want that switch to tell me where it's going.

I can see some value in having a toggle tell you the current scene — if there's only one scene toggle. As soon as you get two or more toggle switches, you have multiple footswitches all labeled the same, and that helps no one. ;)
I'm also in the camp of finding this incredibly confusing. I'd really like to use "Current Scene" but can't for this reason.

I want to be able to look at the screens and see what's currently enabled (did I really stomp on the lead scene?) and when I look down and is "says" Clean because that's what it would take me - it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I can see that the current implementation would work if there's only one switch with "Current Scene" but when there's two or more, I just don't think this is currently implemented in the most useful way. Maybe we need a new option for a new label so that there's another "Current Scene" that works in the other way for those (us) that wants it that way?

The main display shows the current scene, but I'm also guilty of looking at the scribble strips for information. While I use per-preset switches for every preset, I have my 3 switches typically set up to toggle scenes between 4 scenes: clean (1), dirt (2), gain (3), and lead (4). I don't typically use more than 4 scenes but my switches are arranged as such:

FS1: toggles between 1 (primary) and 2
FS2: toggles between 2 (primary) and 3
FS3: toggles between 3 (primary) and 4

This means that when I'm on scene 1 (clean), FS1 & 2 show "dirt" and FS3 shows "gain."
When I'm on scene 2, for instance, footswitch 1 shows "Clean" and footswitches 2 & 3 show "gain."
When I'm on scene 3 (gain), FS1 shows "clean," FS2 shows "dirt," and FS3 shows "lead."
etc etc.

I like that I often have two options for my most-used scenes (I don't do many leads, so my lead scene almost never gets used). Since I play keys and sing AND play guitar (sometimes all on the same song), having that redundancy in footswitches can be a lifesaver if I barely have time to glance down where I'm stepping for the next part between lyrics lol!

Just to finish out my usual setup: If I hold FS3, I get my tuner. If I hold FS1, I get a different view where I can turn on/off individual effects. Holding FS2 takes me to a view where I can inc/dec presets.

And this is my most complicated preset. Most only have 1 or two scenes (I only need one sound for Nirvana's "Breed," two for The Cranberries' "Zombie," etc.)

This is all to say that while I agree with OP that the 'destination' in the scribble strips can be confusing, you can also use it to your advantage.

I still don't get it.

You'd have to tap the switch either once or twice, depending on which scene you were trying to get back to. I still don't see the value of having a switch tell you "the scene where this switch would have taken you to if it were in a different state than the state it's in."
I think my brain is conditioned to treating it like a pedalboard. When I click the switch on an analog drive pedal, the light comes on giving me visual confirmation I actually turned it on. Similar with the current state display. Old habits.... lol.

Sean Meredith-Jones

This could make it either more confusing or help to achieve what some of us have been talking about. Re-label your scene names so they are the opposite. That way its says in the scribble the name of the scene that you are on.

Back
Top Bottom