Implemented Toggle Tuner with single MIDI controller

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Wish GRANTED (well I shown how to toggle a high, then low value with 2 presses of a button)!

Without access to foot controllers, we have to survey options.
I'm using a Behringer FC1010 with the AxeFX 3 and its good.
One issue is the way the Axe FX 3 turns the tuner on & off. I have to send a CC and a value over 64 (or whatever) to bring the tuner up, and to exit I need to send the same CC , and a low value.
It would be much better if I had the choice to just toggle the tuner - on, then off with a simple controller, very much like you would a drive or delay.

Doing it that way means I wont have to dedicate a button to tuner on, and another to tuner off... I can just use one button.

Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
One issue is the way the Axe FX 3 turns the tuner on & off. I have to send a CC and a value over 64 (or whatever) to bring the tuner up, and to exit I need to send the same CC , and a low value.
It would be much better if I had the choice to just toggle the tuner - on, then off with a simple controller, very much like you would a drive or delay.

Doing it that way means I wont have to dedicate a button to tuner on, and another to tuner off... I can just use one button.

Thanks
Pauly
The way it works now is equivalent to what you're asking for.

Turning stuff off and on via MIDI requires a CC message. On most MIDI pedals, when you stomp a switch to turn something on, it sends a CC value of 127 (which is greater than 64). When you stomp it again to turn that thing off, it sends a CC value of 0 (which is less than 64). :cool:

Thanks
Pauly
And as Rex says, you should be able to assign one switch to tuner currently, as a switch normally sends an on and off value, which is 127 and 0, exactly what you described.

Thanks guys,
Doesn’t work on my setup as that’s the first thing I tried.
[edit] I should add - it works for effects - just not the tuner.

Pauly

Thanks guys,
Doesn’t work on my setup as that’s the first thing I tried.
[edit] I should add - it works for effects - just not the tuner.

Pauly
On your Axe III, what MIDI CC do you have the Tuner set to?

Hi again Rex,
The display ( on the axe fx) blanks for a moment, and then just goes vback to where it was ( the preset)
Does it work for you?
Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
Hi again Rex,
The display ( on the axe fx) blanks for a moment, and then just goes vback to where it was ( the preset)
Does it work for you?
Thanks
Pauly
It works fine for me. Do you have your MIDI controller set for latching operation, and set to transmit the same CC number that the tuner is set for?

Hi Again,

I have the Uno 1.3 version prom and am using the FCB1010 midi editor (The one that displays a representation of the unit, and you click on a button and enter the CC number and value) - Latching operation? Is that what's called 'stomp box' mode? If so, then no.
Thanks
Pauly

A switch can be latching or momentary. If it's momentary, the tuner will come on when you stomp a switch, and go away when you let go of the switch.

Stomp box mode should work. It does exactly what you want - sends a CC with on or off value.

I don't have an FCB any more or I'd test it out.

Hi Rex,

Here's what works on mine - using two switches - 10 to turn it on, and 9 to turn it off.
Like I said - all the other axeFX III features such as toggling drives, effects, and wah wah control etc work fine

Note that I have to send the 2 control change 20 and value 69 (see pic below) to get the tuner to display. Sending one does not work. Sending again does not turn off the tuner. Only sending the same control change and lower value (in this case 1) works.

Any advice?.

So - this is Tuner on;
Tuner on.png
...and this is Tuner off
Tuner off.png
Thanks
Pauly

A switch can be latching or momentary. If it's momentary, the tuner will come on when you stomp a switch, and go away when you let go of the switch.

You only need one control change item (uncheck the other) but with the Uno chip there's a second value and "enable toggle" option that isn't visible there. I don't know if there's some way to display it in that program. The Ripwerx editor can show/edit it.

Alternatively it should be possible to set just one CC value with tuner/bypass switches and set the Axe-FX for MIDI toggle mode. With 10-preset mode this probably makes more sense, because a 0-127 toggle won't guarantee the first press of an effect bypass switch corresponds to the desired state.

You only need one control change item (uncheck the other) but with the Uno chip there's a second value and "enable toggle" option that isn't visible there. I don't know if there's some way to display it in that program. The Ripwerx editor can show/edit it.

Alternatively it should be possible to set just one CC value with tuner/bypass switches and set the Axe-FX for MIDI toggle mode. With 10-preset mode this probably makes more sense, because a 0-127 toggle won't guarantee the first press of an effect bypass switch corresponds to the desired state.
What @Bakerman said.

Hi Bakerman,

Thanks for that - It must be the software then, as a singe CC does nothing, and (as you mentioned), the toggle option is not available.
I'll dig up ripwerx and develop a whole new bunch of silly questions.

Thanks
Pauly

Orright - here's my first silly question - Ripwerx - Where can I get that?
Mr Google gave me a bunch of 404s when I tried to find it.
Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom