Toe switch diagram?

Depends on the switch, but usually the middle contact is the common connector (pole) and the outer two alternate connection when the button is pushed (throws). If it's a latching switch, the side you use doesn't matter since it just alternates sides with each press. Use the center and one of the side lugs. If it is a momentary switch on the other hand, you'll need to use a multi-meter to test the connection of the switch contacts if they are not marked. One will be normally closed (connected to the center common lug until button is pushed) and one will be normally open. Use the normally open contact, i.e. the one that connects to the center common lug only when you push and hold the button. For the jack, you only need to use the tip and sleeve connectors. For switchcraft jacks like that one and it's clones, the solder lug corresponds to the contact facing opposite to it. The very center short one is the sleeve. The longest one is the tip and the other is the ring. You want to wire the common lug and normally open lug (or either side lug if it's a latching switch) to the tip and sleeve lugs of the jack respectively. The order between the two doesn't matter in this case since it's a simple make/break connection. The end result will be the same.

contacts.jpg

Depends on the switch, but usually the middle contact is the common connector (pole) and the outer two alternate connection when the button is pushed (throws). If it's a latching switch, the side you use doesn't matter since it just alternates sides with each press. Use the center and one of the side lugs.

For the jack, you only need to use the tip and sleeve connectors. For switchcraft jacks like that one and it's clones, the solder lug corresponds to the contact facing opposite to it. The very center short one is the sleeve. The longest one is the tip and the other is the ring. You want to wire the common lug and either side lug to the tip and sleeve lugs of the jack respectively. The order between the two doesn't matter in this case since it's a simple make/break connection. The end result will be the same.

View attachment 36248
First off thanks for the reply!! This is a latching switch. I quoted you but deleted all references to momentary switch to not confuse my self when I reread and ask the question.

So I was center lug on switch to center small lug on jack and either side lug on switch to longest lug on jack?

If we only need Tip and sleeve why does FAS require us to use a TRS cable/ stereo jack? Sounds like we could have just used a TS (please note that I know nothing about this stuff so sorry if I just sounded stupid)

Yes, correct. Center switch lug to center sleeve lug on the jack and either side switch lug to the longest tip lug on the jack would work fine.

FAS uses TRS jacks for switches because they can use two separate switches per jack. One works between the tip and sleeve, and the other works between the ring and sleeve on the rear panel jack. Since you are only setting up one switch, you only need the tip and sleeve. You could also use the ring and sleeve on your jack instead as well, but then you would have to use a TRS cable instead or a TRS to dual TS adapter.

Yes, correct. Center switch lug to center sleeve lug on the jack and either side switch lug to the longest tip lug on the jack would work fine.

FAS uses TRS jacks for switches because they can use two separate switches per jack. One works between the tip and sleeve, and the other works between the ring and sleeve on the rear panel jack. Since you are only setting up one switch, you only need the tip and sleeve. You could also use the ring and sleeve on your jack instead as well, but then you would have to use a TRS cable instead or a TRS to dual TS adapter.
Interesting. My understanding is that the AX switches don't support two functions like MFC does. With that said I planned on using a TRS cable so should I be doing ring sleeve? Any reason not to do it that way? Is it possible to wire it to one outside lug for switch going to tip and ring in which case I could use a TS cable or TRS cable?

Yeah that's right sorry. Forgot about that. I was thinking of the MFC-101's switch jacks. AX8 and Axe FX II pedal inputs only supports 1 switch per jack. Those are TRS jacks because they are also used for expression pedals, which require all three contacts. For switches, the AX8 (and the Axe FX II and FX8 ) will only use the tip and sleeve contacts, so use the tip and sleeve connectors on your pedal's jack as well. The ring contact is only for expression pedal use on those.

Yeah that's right sorry. Forgot about that. I was thinking of the MFC-101's switch jacks. AX8 and Axe FX II pedal inputs only supports 1 switch per jack. Those are TRS jacks because they are also used for expression pedals, which require all three contacts. For switches, the AX8 (and the Axe FX II and FX8 ) will only use the tip and sleeve contacts, so use the tip and sleeve connectors on your pedal's jack as well. The ring contact is only for expression pedal use on those.
So tip and sleeve and a TS cable or still use TRS cable?

Yep. TRS cable would probably still work, but a TS cable is all that is needed for switches and will be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom