Today is the 36th anniversary of Randy Rhoads death

Huge loss to the rock guitar community. Awesome that you got to meet his sister, she's about his size! RIP, Mr Rhoads

Realized I didn't know much about him as I wasn't really into that music...thanks for the reminder and I enjoyed reading up about his work and listening to some old tunes.

"You know they've got a hell of a band"

Yeah I was thinking about that today, I did get to see Randy with the Blizzard of Oz tour. And had tickets for Diary of a Madman tour at Madison Square Garden.
When Randy died the show I was scheduled for a show only a few weeks away (April 5 1982), though for sure that show would have been cancelled.
It wasn't instead, Bernie Tormé had guitar duties that night. I heard allot of bad things about Bernie and they were NOT deserved ! I was there and sober! He did a awesome job (weather Ozzy was happy with him or not). He learned a whole set in around two weeks and not the easiest material either.

I think Bernie was doomed under popular option, because Randy's death was fresh.
Randy was admired and loved and when he died he became a legend overnight.
Big shoes to fill and also being placed under a microscope. Not easy!

I heard Zakk on a interview less than a year ago he was also at that show and also though Bernie did a awesome job.

John

Agreed @6L6C. Bernie stepped into a tough situation and did a great job. That’s funny you mention the Garden show. I had read how much Randy was looking forward to playing The Garden. Alas, wasn’t meant to be.

RIP Randy...what a giant talent he was. He was a groundbreaking, true original. He very much 'elevated' rock/metal guitar and was the best guitar player to come out of the 80's IMO, by far. He is one of my top three favorite guitar players ever.

I was also fortunate enough to see him on the Diary Of A Madman tour shortly before he passed, and met him in a record store the next day where we chatted, got pictures, and he signed my tour book twice. I remember shaking his hand and thinking "ohhhhh, the hand that picks Over The Mountain!!!!!" Meeting him and hearing him play (front row right in front of him too!) is one of the highlights of my life, especially at that time.

I frequently think of him and how tragic it was he never lived to fully develop his talents; I can't begin to imagine what he would have created over the last few decades. I very much miss him...

Hard to believe it's been 36 years...man, where has the time gone....??

Oh man, sad day for sure, but so many of us have memories. I never did get to see him, as I was in Oregon then (back there now). I moved to Southern Cal in 1986 and one of my best friends, who roadied for me back then, once gave me a pin with Randy on it, which I cherished and kept pinned to the strap of my main guitar. The guitar wasn't a Jackson, but it was an Ibanez Randy Rhoads style V. Slightly different contours, but the shape was overall nearly the same. I still have that guitar, but the strap wore out over time, and I really wish I knew where that pin was. Brings back memories of both Randy, and my old friend (who passed many years ago as well).

RIP Randy!

Back
Top Bottom