today I built some acoustic guitar patches with IRs

Hhuent

Experienced
It seems like quite a lot here avoid IRs and amps when playing with their acoustic + AX8. Today I built some presets from scratch for my acoustic guitar (McIlroy from Ireland) that was equipped with an endpin pickup (MI-SI). Maybe someone here can find a little bit of use in case he/she wants to build ac. guitar patches for the AX8 like me. Or one of the wise guys teaches me a thing or two. Or three - always welcome.

First of all: I am not a tech guy and I don´t know nothing about tone matching and my knowledge about amps and mixing is more than limited, so bare with me. I found some IRs on the fractal preset exchange site and converted them to AX8 (914, 514, 314 Taylors, D09 Larrivee and a few others)
Second: I wanted to build some patches that go well in a mix and cut through, so they don´t fight with the bass or the kick drum. They may be a little on the bright side.
Third: I played with a Xitone open back. My FRFR cab might have a slight edge here witch ac. guitar, but Micks cab is so great that I will sell the other cab to save space and weight. I ordered a second one from Mick, there you go, space, lol...

I built a basic chain for acoustic guitar, saved a few EQ block settings (10, 8, 7 and 5 bands) during my work with a typical acoustic curve so I can apply them faster.

I have to recall this from memory as I have my A8 not with me. Doing my best...

My chain:
StudioComp - GEQ - "Blank" - Tube Preamp - Tape DIst - Cab - Notchfilter 1 - Notchfilter 2 - Reverb.
I switched off the Comp to compare it with the Tape Dist.
The Blank is for putting the Tape Dist. in front of the amp to compare what I like better: pre or post amp.

Studiocomp:
I researched on the forum: The studiocomp seems the way to go. No pumping etc.
Ac. guitar settings: Ratio between 2 and 3 to keep it subtle Threshold around -15. Attack: 20 - 40ms. Release: Around 220 ms. Soft knee.

GEQ (for acoustic guitar):
I looked around on the web. If there ever was a consensus it would be:
Low cut around 100 hz, 6db. - between 100 and 300: pull it down somewhat, still alot of rumble and feedback there - around 400: that´s where the body is, a little up - around 800, pull it down, nasty freqs there, sometimes even up to 1500 khz - 3000 hz to 7000 hz, bump it a little for sweet highs - 7 hz +: if you still need shimmer, a little up but be aware it can sound to metallic and harsh. Use your ears, I found many exceptions to this, depending on the IR.

Tube Preamp:
Default settings. I realised after a lot of work, I had to change the amp block and back to Tube Pre again, made a difference since I updated to 7.01.

Tape Dist:
Some guys here love acoustic guitar with tape distortion - instead of a compressor and to warm and fatten up the sound. I did not manage this, I just find it more "lively" - depends on what you dial in for Drive. I don´t know what I prefer - pre or post, both sounds pretty good and gives you a different flavour compared to the Compressor. Some use both: Comp and Tape dist. - I don´t. I like the Tape dist., but will keep the Comp. in the chain to be more flexible.
Tape Dist.: Drive at 3.0. A little more and it starts to break up slightly. Which I did not want. I left low cut at 20 hz and hi cut around 3 khz. I do the cutting in the cab block (low around 100 hz, hi around 5.8 khz).

Cab/IR:
Only the low cut around 100 hz, hi cut around 5.8 khz.

Two filter blocks (notch):
I looked around on the net if people prefer GEQs or PEQs for acoustic guitar. Seems like for killing unpleasant frequencies some prefer the PEQ after the cab. Well, I did not like the result. To put the acid test I pointed the speaker towards me so I had to learn how to fight with feedback. Even when the PEQ band was set up with the most narrow Q possible and the peak dwon to 12 db it spoilt the sound. Especially when you use two or three bands to fight three feedback frequencies. Happened once.
mM solution was to install two filter blocks with a notch filter (4th or 2d degree depends) at extreme settings. This did not alter the tone so much. I think two notch filters are what might help you in a live situation. It was easy to sweep through the frequencies and kill the nasty ones.

Reverb:
If I use it at all (Delay would be an option too) I saved a mid room setting (decreased the time: 1.2 seconds) and I fiddled a bit with the damping. Also the Sun Plate and the London Plate where I decreased the time also. Some seem to like a plate reverb more than a room reverb for less mud.

Well, I found by this some not so bad patches, but acoustic guitar is very much a matter of taste. I am definitely no expert. But maybe you can use some of my findings for your quest for an acoustic guitar patch - or give me a heads up when you detect some BS here.

Last edited:
Very cool - I will have to try out these settings when I get home.
I am in the camp of folks that loves the acoustic sound of my Martin - but "hates" with a passion the unaffected piezo sound. The effects in AX8 help greatly...

have you heard of 3sigma audio. they are the first commercial site I have found making ir's for acoustic guitar. it can make that piezo pickup sound like the acoustic is in a high end studio. very neat stuff. they are adding other acoustic instruments as well now.

I use the Taylor IRs but I run the tube pre and cab block in paralell then blend them to taste. I like a little of the actual pickup tone mixed with the artificial ir sound.

A short update: I bought the 3sigma acoustic IRs - Martin 45, Taylor 600 and a Gibsion 15 - and compared them yesterday to the acoustic guitar user IRs that are floating around on the forum and the Axechange site. I found the 3sigma IRs to be clearly better. 30 dollars well spent! I realised I would have had way less work to create acceptable patches with using those pro IRs in the first place. The free IRs in my case needed quite some effort with GEQ and filters and did not sound as good as the IRs I bought. Maybe one or two that came close but still a perceivable difference. Should have done that in the first place. @Brian Dixon - thanks for your post here.

A short update: I bought the 3sigma acoustic IRs - Martin 45, Taylor 600 and a Gibsion 15 - and compared them yesterday to the acoustic guitar user IRs that are floating around on the forum and the Axechange site. I found the 3sigma IRs to be clearly better. 30 dollars well spent! I realised I would have had way less work to create acceptable patches with using those pro IRs in the first place. The free IRs in my case needed quite some effort with GEQ and filters and did not sound as good as the IRs I bought. Maybe one or two that came close but still a perceivable difference. Should have done that in the first place. @Brian Dixon - thanks for your post here.
Are the 3Sigma IRs ready to load or do they need to be changed into AX8 file format? If so, how do I do that?

I was also using the Taylor 914ce IR that's floating around with my PRS P22 Piezo and was pretty happy. This morning I bought the Martin 45 from 3Sigma and was blown away. It sounds great with no tweaking! Just using the Tube Pre then the Martin 45 IR and you're good to go. I did use the "b" version of the IR. The "a" version had too much bass for the LR Baggs system in the PRS.

Interesting post about the 3sigma stuff. Maybe I should look into that. My home studio is acoustically challenged, and I find it difficult to record IRs that I am really happy with.

Excellent post, this has made me want to go and revisit my acoustic patch with a free takamine IR I found on the web. I'll post results when I do.

Hi,

I have tried the 3 Sigma Martin 45 IR briefly with my AX8, Brian Moore MC/1P (RMC passive piezo) and Atomic CLR, and to my surprise it actually sounded quite nice (even with a 010-046 regular electric set). Actually way better than I've ever managed to get my acoustics to sound with my own Tone matching trials. I'll still have to try it with my real acoustics, PRS HBII and Parker (with active piezo), but I think I might be finally getting some decent acoustic tones.

Hi,

just tried (very briefly) the 3 Sigma "electric" IR's with my Strat (neck pickup). Used the same preset as with my Brian Moore (with cab, comp, tube pre, EQ and reverb). Did not sound that good at all. I'll have to test more, but I guess what it takes is a piezo or something similar acoustic like sound to start with to get natural sounding results.

Back
Top Bottom