To turn off power amp modeling or not?

csassakb

Inspired
All

I am running my FM3 into an amp head and cabinet
I turned off the cabinet simulation since I have a real guitar cab

Any thoughts on whether it is better to leave the power amp modeling on or off when running the FM3 into the effects loop of the amp head??
I want to get the sound of the FM3 amp, not the amp head I am using as a power section

Best
Curt

Typically you would turn off power amp modeling running into the effects loop return of a tube guitar amp - the idea being that you are using(and hearing) the power amp section of the tube amp. As always with these things if it sounds good it is good so give it a listen both ways and choose what sounds best to your ears.

Personally, when I was running my Axe-Fx II into the effects loop return of a tube amp I found that leaving power amp modeling on added a degree of "stiffness" I didn't care for and wound up turning it off.

I don't think there's a "right" answer. If you're using models of master volume amps and keeping the master low then it would probably sound fine to disable power amp modeling. But if you're using a non-master amp like a plexi, then you're not going to get good results with power amp modeling off. In that scenario I would leave it on but switch the speaker impedance curve in the amp block to "resistive load" so you're not doubling up on the resonances that occur due to the interaction between the power amp and speakers in both the model and the real amp/cab. And if your real amp has presence and depth controls you may need to play with those to find settings that sound natural.

Back
Top Bottom