To those with better ears! Deftones' Gore clean tone :

Velokki

Inspired
Hi guys!

I've been looking at getting the Deftones' Prayers/Triangles and Hearts/Wires Clean tone. I hear the delay there, but I just can't quite get the base guitar tone. Especially Prayers/Triangles is the one that I'm just sucking for, the tone is so glorious and haunting, it really puts me in another place. I'd like to incorporate a similar tone in one of my projects!

I'd really appreciate if a helping soul could craft a patch and explain how a sound like that comes together!

These are the parts:
First (and more important), Prayers/Triangles at 14 seconds:

And Hearts/Wires, 1 minute and 31 secs:

Appreciate anyone who attempts a try at them. Love you guys!

P.S. I'm on a regular Mark II, not XL :)

Last edited:
I'm guessing any of the clean fenders with an analog delay and maybe some chorus could get there. might be able to give it a shot later.

From other videos, it looks like he's playing the notes high up on the neck on the lower strings to get a fatter attack. Heavy analog or tape style delay too.

Nice, thanks! I'll try to conjure something when I get back home (away for a couple of days). Can't wait to see results if you craft a preset, too!

Anyone have a boring weekend? :grimacing:
I'm still new to the forum and just got back from a long night at the 24 hr vet emergency clinic (cat hit by a car) so I apologize I can't figure out how to send the link to the forum. But have you checked out the other thread called
Working with Stephen C from The Deftones this week, check out our progress!
It has a lot of interesting info from Kevin Antreassian and maybe your question can be answered by someone over there.

Well, I can just get a decent clean tone overall, but not one that would resemble the tones I'm after!

That's why I hope someone will take up this challenge, haha!
Haha, i'll be in the same boat as you pretty soon (Hopefully!!).
I'm still on the wait list for the Axe Fx 2 ( + MFC) and am dying for some USA availability soon. I wanted to start with the presets made available by Kevin and see if tweaking any will get close to some tones from Gore. But that album has it's own unique sounds and its a different feel then Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan so I know it won't be that easy... :confused:

Most of the guitars on Gore was recorded with a Rivera Knucklehead Mick Thompson edition for cleans. So if you can find that particular tone match, or an upload from another user, than you can surely get very close. I watched a youtube video interview with the producer of Gore. He said they used the Rivera Knucklehead like crazy on Gore

Thanks guys! I'm away from home still for a week, so I can't try these out immediately, will do as soon as I get back!

Hi guys!

One of the good sides of entrepreneurship is that sometimes your calendar changes completely by surprise. I got home already today!

Got to try out vertibration's tip, the Rivera Knucklehead. And man, I never thought I'd get as close as this! I found this patch:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1960

And from there I started to tweak, and this is the end result for now:

Any tips on how to get closer still? It's kind of missing that bassy, warm roundness?

Try Rosen Digitals Orange 4x12 cab sims. I only say Rosen, as opposed to the Cab Lab Orange Bulb pack because Rosen is a little bassier, and chunkier.

Hi guys!

One of the good sides of entrepreneurship is that sometimes your calendar changes completely by surprise. I got home already today!

Got to try out vertibration's tip, the Rivera Knucklehead. And man, I never thought I'd get as close as this! I found this patch:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1960

And from there I started to tweak, and this is the end result for now:

Any tips on how to get closer still? It's kind of missing that bassy, warm roundness?

Been watching this thread, this sounds awesome, man. Gonna share the patch?

Back
Top Bottom