To the ones who went down the Eric Johnson rabbit hole

There are videos of Eric Johnson where you can clearly see all the exact settings for his amps and effects. I'd start there. Then you'd have to find the right IR for the cab blocks.
“Exact settings” don’t necessarily translate to modelers, even of there’s a one-to-one match in the markings on the box. And, having seen Johnson play several times, he will adjust settings in the middle of a song to tweak the sound for the moment, so be like Eric and use your ears.

Every few months I take a crack at my EJ presets. I feel like I get further away the more time passes, but the initial Tube Driver into a Plexi with the treble turned almost all the way down got in the ballpark quite easily for his lead tone. The tone I really want to nail is his Fuzz Face/Dumble tone from that Ah Via Musicom/Hot Licks video era. That Hot Licks video is my pinnacle EJ tone, especially in the outro video where he switches to the Dumble then hits that blue Fuzz Face.

I was 11 and just started playing when I saw that Hot Licks vid, that outro clip is exactly what turned me into a gear nerd/EJ freak. I just thought it all looked so cool, the pedalboard itself with the aluminum trim, the plain grey A/B switches and then that blue/teal Fuzz Face....I had no clue what any of it was, but the sounds that occurred when he stepped on them just blew my mind.

Back
Top Bottom