To Tap tempo or not!!

Dramelot

Power User
With the AX it is so easy to tap tempo. Great for cleans and i can even sync it to my guitar synths.
But..
Lately I seem to be pressing hard on my Delay volume pedal to hear it.
Getting lost in the downbeat.
So I'm thinking of setting a unchanging solo spot to my old time of 465ms and try it for a few gigs.
Be interested in other's thoughts.

I often prefer musical, less metronomic delays. The 1/4 and 1/8th notes do get buried. They can just become invisible. Triplets are better sometimes. When I think of natural reflections, they aren't rhythmic at all; they're rhythmic to themselves but not to the music or sounds in the hall or concert stage. So most often I like to set a delay time that sounds good and musical to me but isnt a denomination or subdivision of the beat. That said I do like rhythmic delays sometimes. It just depends on context for me.

Depends what you're doing. If you really want the delays to be heard, then yeah you might want to take them off the beat or just have them set to a fixed time that's not necessarily related to the timing of the songs. But if you just want it to fill some space for leads and stuff, I wouldn't think it's necessarily a problem. Even if you can't necessarily hear it straight away, doesn't mean it's not doing anything. If you can play and turn the delay on and off and not hear anything, yeah maybe some adjustments need to be made.

It's like when you're trying to add some subtle reverb or something on a recording and you bring it up and up thinking, "Still can't really hear it." But then you bypass it and notice straight its absence straight away.

I've tried both, and I returned to not using tap tempo. I use stereo delays with one side being half the time of the other. Even with IEM, I can't say that the delays are rhythmically disturbing, even with lots of delay. Delays always get kind of lost in the mix anyway and blend into the background. What might sound like ass by yourself, sounds good in the mix.

Same here, not using tap tempo and never have.

I do have a dedicated IA switch, which switches rotary/phaser/vibe/tremolo/delay between two fixed speeds per effect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom