To stick with Matrix or not

Vhalen50

Experienced
So my Matrix GT1000fx blew up on me a few weeks ago. Basically I asked to borrow a speaker cable at my bands practice space. Normally I use a heavy duty speakon-1/4" cable that is maybe 3 feet in length. The cab i use at the space was covered with new PA gear, so I said i could just put my rack on another area, but id need a cable. Long story short, i plug in this cable and power everything up, no volume, turn the volume up on the matrix and the entire unit dies. Wont turn back on. Theres no doubt in my mind, it was the cable.

I contacted matrix and they said it would need repairs (in the U.K.) but i could try swapping the fuse out. Tried that, but they told me the wrong fuse to buy. Got that corrected and it powers up, but it makes a really loud whirring noise and when it turns off, itll actually cycle back on for a second, then off. I never tried plugging anything back in.

So im now at a stand still to potentially ship this thing back to matrix, which is just 2 months out of the 2 year warranty, for around $80 each way and then hope the repair charges+shipping back and forth dont almost equal the price for a new unit, or I accept the loss and just go direct.

Thoughts?

A shorted cable can definitely toast an amp, even if there is "circuit protection". FWIW I have two matrix amps and they both will power cycle during shutoff if I'm not quick when depressing the power switch. Whirring noise could just be the fan, don't know on that one.

Hmm. I must never have noticed that it will cycle during shut off. Im still slightly worried to try to connect it to a cab, just in case of issues arising.

Ya I wouldn't plug in the axefx at first, might try something a little less expensive. I believe that US repairs go to CA, well at least they used to.

Good evening.
With the amps shipping direct from Ventura CA I think it would be worth contacting the office on the following phone number copied and pasted from the MatrixAmplification site. Or, send me your cell and we shall be happy to call you.

Many thanks
Matt

..." Now Shipping Direct From Sunny California!

Welcome to the Matrix Elements USA Webshop! You'll be pleased to know we now ship direct from our offices in Ventura California. All stock is on the shelves here in the USA, ready to ship direct to your door. If you are local, you are welcome to arrange to call in and pick up or try out. Just email or call us first so we can be sure to meet and greet you.

USA Telephone Support
We have a new support number for our USA customers: (805) 766 8556 we are on California time, but we are up and around from early to late, so if we can help or you have a question, give us a call. "

Hi,

First, if it was a warranty fault, we would almost certainly have covered you even if it was a few weeks out of warranty, we do not watch the clock to the second! We don't normally consider a short circuit on a cable to be a warranty fault, but we do sometimes take pity on people ;)

Secondly, yes, a shorted cable can cause damage.

Third, it can come direct to our service centre in the USA, California. Shipped UPS ground it will be cheap enough. Andy has the factory fully up and running in the USA and making amplifiers, so repairs are usually handled next day. It is usually a cheap fix for this type of fault, speak nicely to Andy and I am sure he will help you out. Give him a call on (805) 766 8556 California time.

If you want to book it in for repair, just go here: http://usa.matrixamplification.com/repair-guitar-product.html

The amp is certainly repairable, and it should be a very cost effective fix.

Regarding the fuses, you can fit EITHER a 5A or a 10A .. or anything in between. If you play "normal" levels, you will find the 5A is fine, and will usually save you from mistakes or dodgy cables. If you play exceptionally loudly into a pair of 4R cabinets, you may need the 10A, but it offers less safety against accidental short circuits.

And finally, the advice I would give to anyone running ANY amp, Matrix or not, solid state or valve is the same:

Whenever you re-cable or re-rig, turn it up a little from zero and check it sounds like it should. If it doesn't, turn down or even off and investigate.

If you get nothing out, it could be you don't have a signal going in, but it could equally be you have a cable short, or two amp channels connected back-to-back instead of to a cab! While the cost of repairing a blown output stage is potentially not exactly free, it is probably a lot cheaper than replacing a blown output transformer on a valve amp!

Accidents do happen though, and we do try our best to help out, and will fully support the products, so do get in touch with Andy and feel free to report back on your repair experience :)

Last edited:
First, if it was a warranty fault, we would almost certainly have covered you even if it was a few weeks out of warranty, we do not watch the clock to the second! We don't normally consider a short circuit on a cable to be a warranty fault, but we do sometimes take pity on people ;)

Accidents do happen though, and we do try our best to help out, and will fully support the products, so do get in touch with Andy and feel free to report back on your repair experience :)

He's not wrong. Matrix have been more than efficient in dealing with my 1500, which was injured by an errant ex. I also know that they have helped people who had mishaps which other companies would walk away from.

As I've said on here before, the support we get from FAS, and the companies that provide associated it gear, is phenomenal.

How long should a cable be then? I have a Matrix1000 as well and the cable going from the output to the speaker cabinet is about 5 feet long. So length matters?

Most of the time when amps blow is when people erroneously use an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable.

How long should a cable be then? I have a Matrix1000 as well and the cable going from the output to the speaker cabinet is about 5 feet long. So length matters?

What's the reference to cable length? Did someone mention it in the thread?

Most of the time Amos blow is when people erroneously use an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable.

I thought that would just destroy the cable over time. I've been in many situations where the PA was hooked up with instrument vs speaker cables (novices obviously) and it still "worked." But the cables heated up too much and melted. I know it's not good in general :)

What's the reference to cable length? Did someone mention it in the thread?

Nevermind, I'm stupid. Shortened as in not working, not as in shortened in length HAHA. By the way, if you're the guy that makes those great Axe FX Tutorial videos on YouTube, awesome work. I'm a YouTuber as well for something completely unrelated, and I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into making videos.

Nevermind, I'm stupid. Shortened as in not working, not as in shortened in length HAHA. By the way, if you're the guy that makes those great Axe FX Tutorial videos on YouTube, awesome work. I'm a YouTuber as well for something completely unrelated, and I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into making videos.

Haha no worries. Fkn same words mean different things!!

Do you get your vlog on in your youtubes? I'm considering being more day to day, but it's a whole other level...

Most of the time when amps blow is when people erroneously use an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable.
This! Especially tube amps, not good to substitute cable type (instrument or speaker) for the required application. The Matrix is solid state, but I wouldn't risk it.

Well it's not right at all to substitute it. One is shielded and for instruments and the other isn't shielded and for speakers. Just because the jack fits doesn't mean the cable will work :)

Haha no worries. Fkn same words mean different things!!

Do you get your vlog on in your youtubes? I'm considering being more day to day, but it's a whole other level...

No, I'm not a vlogger. I make videos on rubiks cube type puzzles, and also wooden puzzles. I'm a puzzle inventor as well. I'll PM you with my channel if you want to see, but I don't want to use this site to self advertise.

Dan

He's not wrong. Matrix have been more than efficient in dealing with my 1500, which was injured by an errant ex. I also know that they have helped people who had mishaps which other companies would walk away from.

As I've said on here before, the support we get from FAS, and the companies that provide associated it gear, is phenomenal.

I rang matrix one Friday afternoon. Ansaphone but I didn't leave a message. Around 6.30 Robin from matrix rings re my missed call. Talked through my questions, nothing was too much trouble. Yes I had spent a few bob but as a business owner myself have to say that impressed the hell out of me.

They are excellent at customer service. Probably the best I've dealt with ever. They care and take pride in their products and clients!

I don't think that's how it works. The only difference in the two is shielding, so it wouldn't blow up from having extra shielding from interference. It just wouldn't be possible to blow up from mixing a speaker cable and instrument cable.

Back
Top Bottom