• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

To Sell or Not to Sell the AX8 for the new FM3?

Mark-B

Inspired
For those who are looking for the tonal differences between the AXE II - AX8 - AXE lll, I found this somewhat entertaining.

The FM3 would fall into the AXElll camp.

Use headphones.

Caveats..some major ones.. YouTube can severely compress video when you upload it, so although some differences might seem minor in that video ..in real life, those tiny differences can add-up. Secondly, the ARES modeling is more realistic as it pertains to both tonal quality and pick attack - which is Huge for most people I think. If you keep these things in mind..

Personally, I think that the more realistic amp and cab models, the sheer number of them, the broader offering of effects and the better pick response of the AXElll and FM3 over the FXll and AX8 is worth at-least a cool-grand ....and any wait to get one.

For recording, undoubtedly the FM3, and, if you need 4x the horsepower, the AXElll will be the better tool for the job. ...Sound quality alone.

Definitely NOT selling my AX8, though. ;0) ...Nope! :0)

fractalz

Veteran
I've been wrestling with this question, as I'm sure many others have. There are advantages to each unit. However, the AX8 is a great unit that should serve us well for many years. In addition, the FM3 (IMO) likely with get a big(ger) brother, perhaps with -- more CPU? -- more foot switches? -- ????

What are your thoughts?
Play what you own, own what you play.

chris

Legend!
For those who are looking for the tonal differences between the AXE II - AX8 - AXE lll, I found this somewhat entertaining.

The FM3 would fall into the AXElll camp.

Use headphones.

Caveats..some major ones.. YouTube can severely compress video when you upload it, so although some differences might seem minor in that video ..in real life, those tiny differences can add-up. Secondly, the ARES modeling is more realistic as it pertains to both tonal quality and pick attack - which is Huge for most people I think. If you keep these things in mind..

Personally, I think that the more realistic amp and cab models, the sheer number of them, the broader offering of effects and the better pick response of the AXElll and FM3 over the FXll and AX8 is worth at-least a cool-grand ....and any wait to get one.

For recording, undoubtedly the FM3, and, if you need 4x the horsepower, the AXElll will be the better tool for the job. ...Sound quality alone.

Definitely NOT selling my AX8, though. ;0) ...Nope! :0)
keep in mind this video is over a year old. there have been several substantial firmware updates to the modeling since then.

200man

Veteran
I kind of like the idea thrown around here of using 2 FM3’s.
Want more switches?...buy an FC6?...no...buy another FM3.
And if Fractal developed a twinning mode...ooo the possibilities!

fractalz

Veteran
I kind of like the idea thrown around here of using 2 FM3’s.
Want more switches?...buy an FC6?...no...buy another FM3.
And if Fractal developed a twinning mode...ooo the possibilities!
I was thinking this too but it seems cpu is reserved for amps and not available just for FX.

I decided the III is the way to go and I have both of the FCs to choose based on how complicated I want to make things.

One cable back to the rig for faslink and the guitar wireless.

Oh, I ordered the FM3 too because, well, FAS GAS.

I'm absolutely no help :/

ak301

Inspired
I wont be selling my AX8 anytime soon for two very simple reasons.

One, it's my main rig and has all my refined tones from the past 2 1/2 years of ownership in

Two, no knows when the FM3 will be available, especially not in the UK, so i dont want to rely on my HX Stomp, which doesn't sound as good as the Fractals

Mark-B

Inspired
I see this whole situation (if you can call any of this a “situation”), as a choice between two quite different pieces of gear.

As I would need to also purchase a footswitch for the FM3, for about five-minutes I was actually toying around with the idea of getting a Helix to use as the rig controller and to provide ambient effects, and piping the FM3 into the Helix for the drives, amp, and cab blocks. But, why? ...I can use the AX8 exactly the same way - nothing against Helix, it IS a great piece of gear; but the AX8 has it where it counts.

The AX8 would also be a great backup rig, a larger brother for a grab and go stomp-box rig (which is how I use it), Owning both an AX8 and the FM3 (if you can swing it), opens up so-many entirely new ballparks of conjoined capabilities you wouldn’t enjoy with either/or.

...I just don’t see these two pieces of equipment as so closely related that one would be considered obsolete for owning the other. They would compliment each other ...Not to mention that the AX8, updates or not, is Still a Great piece of gear.

Just for example ...(God Bless the 80’s ..aaand I do like this guy’s style! :0)

…it’s just not too much of a hardship to tolerate the presence of ^^^ ... this thing! :0)

Bman

Veteran
Is it possible to bring the AX8 signal in thru the FX loop to essentially run two Amp blocks or visa versa?

ak301

Inspired
I see this whole situation (if you can call any of this a “situation”), as a choice between two quite different pieces of gear.

As I would need to also purchase a footswitch for the FM3, for about five-minutes I was actually toying around with the idea of getting a Helix to use as the rig controller and to provide ambient effects, and piping the FM3 into the Helix for the drives, amp, and cab blocks. But, why? ...I can use the AX8 exactly the same way - nothing against Helix, it IS a great piece of gear; but the AX8 has it where it counts.

The AX8 would also be a great backup rig, a larger brother for a grab and go stomp-box rig (which is how I use it), Owning both an AX8 and the FM3 (if you can swing it), opens up so-many entirely new ballparks of conjoined capabilities you wouldn’t enjoy with either/or.

...I just don’t see these two pieces of equipment as so closely related that one would be considered obsolete for owning the other. They would compliment each other ...Not to mention that the AX8, updates or not, is Still a Great piece of gear.

Just for example ...(God Bless the 80’s ..aaand I do like this guy’s style! :0)

…it’s just not too much of a hardship to tolerate the presence of ^^^ ... this thing! :0)
God there's some great tones going on there

Mark-B

Inspired
Is it possible to bring the AX8 signal in thru the FX loop to essentially run two Amp blocks or visa versa?
Unless I’m missing something fundamental, Yes. ...You could incorporate one unit into the other just the same as running any other effect processor within an FX loop. Using FX blocks, You could run rigs in series or parallel, ABY them, and send MIDI messages between the two devices to make changes to the other’s presets etc.

Twice the fun.

That’s how I’ll be planning to use the FM3, ..either/or, or as an additional processor within the AX8, and I figure if I use it that way, I’ll link the two using MIDI to better control the two units.

..well ..that’s the “plan” anyway ..try to cobble me together an AX11 ;0)

zerolight

Inspired
A year from now when the AXE3 and the FM3 are running on a newer set of algorithms and the AX8 and Axe2 have been left behind, the market will be flooded with the AX8 and Axe2 at heavily reduced prices. Right now is the time to sell for a good return.

I dont mind the modular approach. You can see this was the plan from the get go with the new FCs. I'd not hold my breath for an FM7/9/12, there's an FC for that. A year from now when the AX8 has been left behind I'm sure most will have given in and accepted the modular future.

I reckon you've got another 3 or 4 years or however long it takes for a new DSP to drop with much more power at floorboard compatible temperatures before we see a new model. The market just isn't big enough multiple fractal floor units to be viable. The FCs are the compromise.

ksandvik

Veteran
I reckon you've got another 3 or 4 years or however long it takes for a new DSP to drop with much more power at floorboard compatible temperatures before we see a new model. The market just isn't big enough multiple fractal floor units to be viable. The FCs are the compromise.
Yes, this is not exactly Samsung/Apple that makes their custom ASICs for billions of devices, or Intel that makes CPUs for billions of PC/server systems. High end DSP processing for audio will always be a niche market, which means less engineering efforts and investments for updating DSPs.

tcb37

New here
Why? What is the difference to you functionally? How will it be a detriment to what you do on a daily basis?
I just said a bit of a pain, not that it’ll it be a detriment to my daily routine.
As a backup in a performance situation, I’ll have to mirror the presets in one device to one running on a different architecture, especially making sure the levels are the same.

wcfieldskx

Forum Addict
A year from now when the AXE3 and the FM3 are running on a newer set of algorithms and the AX8 and Axe2 have been left behind, the market will be flooded with the AX8 and Axe2 at heavily reduced prices. Right now is the time to sell for a good return.

I dont mind the modular approach. You can see this was the plan from the get go with the new FCs. I'd not hold my breath for an FM7/9/12, there's an FC for that. A year from now when the AX8 has been left behind I'm sure most will have given in and accepted the modular future.

I think the AX8 and AFII prices will drop a bit, but not that much. They are still (next to the AFIII) the best sounding units out there....and it's not like there are mass produced like say L6 products are so the market won't be "flooded" with them.

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
My Ax8 is dialed in so well there's no reason to get rid of it, however I will be getting an FM3 whenever they come out.
with in 3-6 months after the FM3's start shipping Ax8 prices will plummet.

aens

Inspired
Too late, I already sold mine.

I really preferred the interface on AX8 over Axe FX II and MFC-101. But after getting the FC-6 on my Axe FX III, oh man... my AX8 started gathering dust after some time I was totally lost with the interface. There was no turning back.

Top Bottom