To Pull This Off at Age 69 Is Incredible

...I have seen ELO live twice in recent years , and are without question amongst the best sounding shows I have attended , I have loved Lynne‘s style and composing Chops since he joined the Move in 1970, which with Roy Wood and Bev Bevan evolved into ELO...He clearly revels in the opportunities to achieve now what he could not when I saw mid 70s ELO with the obnoxiously huge UFO stage piece and horrible backing-track orchestral mix and all of us benefit. A treasure of pop music.

I saw ELO live a couple of times in the late '70s. Both were great shows. For that era, the lighting and sound was ground-breaking.

Love, love, love Jeff Lynne & ELO I still have my collection of ELO albums and two turn tables.
Jeff Lynne is truly a master of his craft. What an awesome musician :)

The Electric Light Orchestra was my 1st Concert ever at The Madison Square Garden on September 14, 1978..
There was a Huge Pod On Stage that looked like a Space Ship...it opened up with the Band Inside.. Super Loud and The Laser Show was Amazing...
This was the Setlist:
Introduction Theme
Standin' in the Rain
Night in the City
Turn to Stone
Can't Get It Out of My Head
Cello Solo (by Hugh McDowell)
Tightrope
Telephone Line
Rockaria!
Violin Solo (by Mik Kaminiski)
Strange Magic
Showdown
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Evil Woman
Mr. Blue Sky
Do Ya
(The Move cover)
Livin' Thing
Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
Roll Over Beethoven
(Chuck Berry cover)
Outroduction Theme

The Electric Light Orchestra was my 1st Concert ever at The Madison Square Garden on September 14, 1978..
There was a Huge Pod On Stage that looked like a Space Ship...it opened up with the Band Inside.. Super Loud and The Laser Show was Amazing...
This was the Setlist:
Introduction Theme
Standin' in the Rain
Night in the City
Turn to Stone
Tightrope
Telephone Line
Rockaria!
Strange Magic
Showdown
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Evil Woman
Mr. Blue Sky
Do Ya
(The Move cover)
Livin' Thing
Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
Roll Over Beethoven
(Chuck Berry cover)
Outroduction Theme
HOW do you know the set list for a show you saw 43 years ago?

I would only remember the bigger ELO hits that replayed on radio for the next few decades, but I am most impressed with this video and the quality of production. Good stuff!

I would only remember the bigger ELO hits that replayed on radio for the next few decades, but I am most impressed with this video and the quality of production. Good stuff!

That was their later “phase”, but the era of “A New World Record” was their finest hour, IMO.

Oh man, that was the golden age. That was the age of Journey, Boston, Wings, The Cars, Rush, Heart and on and on. Then you had the mellow "AM Gold": Bread, Player, Ace, Ambrosia, America, etc., etc.

Since I'm old I get to say "Today's music is crap! Get off my lawn."
You can say that again Cliff. The following albums were released in 1971 (50 years ago) and I'm sure I'm missing many.

Who's Next, Led Zeppelin 4, Aqualung, LA Woman, Sticky Fingers, Every Picture Tells a Story. RAM, John Lennon's Imagine, Tapestry

If there were one album in 2021 of that caliber I would be thrilled.

MM

You can say that again Cliff. The following albums were released in 1971 (50 years ago) and I'm sure I'm missing many.

Who's Next, Led Zeppelin 4, Aqualung, LA Woman, Sticky Fingers, Every Picture Tells a Story. RAM, John Lennon's Imagine, Tapestry

If there were one album in 2021 of that caliber I would be thrilled.

MM

Just for fun, also in 1971:
Tarkus by ELP (Pictures at an Exhibition as well)
The Yes Album (first to have Steve Howe)
Fireball
Master of Reality
Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant
Nursery Crime by Genesis
What’s Going On
Poems, Prayers and Promises (John Denver album with Take Me Home Country Roads)
Electric Warrior by T. Tex
Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart

I’ve made playlists for individual years from 1970-1976 and each is a treasure trove.

This was the Setlist:
Introduction Theme
Standin' in the Rain
Night in the City
Turn to Stone
Tightrope
Telephone Line
Rockaria!
Strange Magic
Showdown
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Evil Woman
Mr. Blue Sky
Do Ya
(The Move cover)
Livin' Thing
Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
Roll Over Beethoven
(Chuck Berry cover)
Outroduction Theme
Yup, that’s the tour I saw too, in Southern Illinois in a psychedelically beautiful natural rock outdoor coliseum...but as you said, super loud and IMO shittily mixed at least for my show.

If you sing correctly and live clean, and don't have arthritis (osteoarthritis very common -age related)-69 is not an obstacle, imho.
Of course, that is a lot of "ifs."

I remember watching a documentary with Jeff Lynne where he talked, walked around his amazing house, stopping at different instruments. Proceeded to play the instrument flawlessly and then move on to a another one. Cannot remember where I saw it though.

HOW do you know the set list for a show you saw 43 years ago?

Looked it up on a Setlist Site, it’s has thousands of set lists form everyone...

Talent doesn’t evaporate. The body and mind might slow down a bit, but when you’ve got it you’ve got it.

Let’s count the ways he wasn’t just a flash in the pan.

1. He engineered and produced damn near every song.

2. He wrote damn near every song.

3. He played damn near every instrument on damn near every song.

4. He sang damn near all the vocals on every song.

not a bad resume

Back
Top Bottom