To mono or to stereo?

Does a single speaker ever have 2 separate data to make it "stereo"? Does it even exist or it's not possible?
single speaker cannot be 2. it's single.

that product is a cabinet with 2 speakers in it. they are wired in stereo (2 separate inputs) and therefore can create stereo sound.

i had a 2x12 Diezel cabinet that was wired for stereo use - 1 cab producing stereo sound. GenzBenz and many others make similar cabinets.

I have the older version of the Space Station, its pretty cool. Its not true stereo, but gives the aural sensation of a wider, "stereo-ish" sound field from one location/cabinet.

I don't find it to be a great general monitor, however, I LOVE it for certain applications such as running a dedicated rotary speaker effect to it. Just like when I had my old Vibratone cabinet, which mixed with my other amps, the combination of my main guitar tone coming from the CLR's and then a stereo rotary effect going to the Space Station sounds amazing, as I hear it in my listening location.

The rotary effect has a bit of a stereo panning effect to it, and the Space Station essentially is physically putting sound out the front or side, so it sounds/feels like there is literally a rotating drum inside the thing.

Its a cool product, but its not a replacement for, or, a true stereo monitor setup with 2 wedges etc physically set-up for a stereo sound field.

In my experience gigging in Chicago and the tri-state area, ALL but one PA system were MONO. The Stereo system was at a small narrow venue in Wonder Lake. As I said, ALL of the rest were Mono. Did I run my Axe Fx Ultra mono? Uh no, but I did minimize stereo effects, except a clean chorus preset, which still sounded good in mono.

I know some here has a pair of the FRFR speakers, but isn't a piece (or mono) also as good?

IMO, two speakers ALWAYS sounds better than one! whether in mono or stereo, and 4, as in a 412 cab; the speakers have a coupling effect and give you an extra 3dB (or is it 6? I can't remember) of output.

If you're only playing at home and recording (like me... for now ;)) by all means get two speakers and run stereo. Although while recording double tracked guitars; one panned left and one panned right sounds better. Sorry, I'm opening a can of worms here. If you gig a lot, you'll want to run mostly mono because unless you overpower the PA/FOH (like I used to :p), the only one hearing your rig in stereo is you. This is my experience, your milage may vary.

I just noticed there's another page to this thread DOH!!! Hopefully I didn't repeat what's already been said. :rolleyes:

so "stereo" is only true when speakers are in a pair not in 1 cab (even with 2 or 4 speakers)?

It can be in one cab. Early 2000's I had a Marshall 1936 cab. It was a 2X12 cab that could be run mono or stereo. I always ran it stereo. It was a fabulous sounding cab but the stereo effect wasn't as good so eventually I sold it and bought two cubes which made stereo great again.

To finish what MK was saying/writing. Putting some distance say, 5 to 10 feet between each speaker gives a better stereo image than right next to one another in one cab.

I was told in another forum that running a pair of bass cabs with one amp, is NOT stereo but "dual mono" considering both cabs are powered by 1 amp. I was so confused.

Any opinion if "bi-amp" means it is stereo? Some powered PA speaker are bi-amped. I was just curious.

It can be in one cab. Early 2000's I had a Marshall 1936 cab. It was a 2X12 cab that could be run mono or stereo. I always ran it stereo. It was a fabulous sounding cab but the stereo effect wasn't as good so eventually I sold it and bought two cubes which made stereo great again.

I was told in another forum that running a pair of bass cabs with one amp, is NOT stereo but "dual mono" considering both cabs are powered by 1 amp. I was so confused.

Any opinion if "bi-amp" means it is stereo? Some powered PA speaker are bi-amped. I was just curious.
Running two cabs from one mono amp is still mono. “Dual mono” if you like, but it’s still mono. Stereo means two different channels, not two speakers running the same channel. Just like “two people” means two people, not one person and a mirror. :)

“Bi-amp” is not stereo.

My BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal has 2 outputs, so if I were to use 2 PA speakers, am I running a stereo setup then? I'm assuming each output has different "preamps". Usually Left output is for mono connectivity, I think.

Running two cabs from one mono amp is still mono. “Dual mono” if you like, but it’s still mono. Stereo means two different channels, not two speakers running the same channel. Just like “two people” means two people, not one person and a mirror. :)

“Bi-amp” is not stereo.

My BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal has 2 outputs, so if I were to use 2 PA speakers, am I running a stereo setup then? I'm assuming each output has different "preamps". Usually Left output is for mono connectivity, I think.
That depends entirely on what the SY-300 can do, how you use it, and what the two outputs are for. I've never used one, but I'd bet the SY-300 manual can tell you. :)

Look at the output of the SY-300, it says L & R. As long as the patches within the SY-300 are set to stereo (and as @Rex suggests, if you're not sure, refer to its manual), if you run it to 2 PAs from the L & R output, it's stereo.
qBnLmuM.png

Generally bi-amp is separating frequencies, like woofer and tweeter. What you were told is correct. Yoy need two amps or a stereo power amp to be stereo. The rig that I used the Marshall 1936 cab was powered by an VHT 2502 power amp.

VHT 2502 power amp
Awesome amp!

Like MKeditor said, you would have a horn/tweeter in an enclosure and a much larger power hungry woofer in there with it. Biamping would be using one amp for each individual speaker, usually a more powerful amp for the woofer. Since there are two speakers; a woofer and a tweeter, you would use two amps, or, one two channel amp, to drive them individually. You would also have some kind of electronic or digital crossover to separate the highs to the tweeter and the lows to the woofer.

That's awesome! I'll take two. :D I guess I missed this post, cool speaker but listen to what @lqdsnddist said.

But I am going to give you your first "like" for your effort ;). First time I've seen one of those, so if you had two would it be Quadraphonic? :cool:
It’s not truly stereo. Its “spatial” though. You won’t hear distinct left and right signals as you designed them; you’ll hear 2 different signals blended in a different way.

It’s not truly stereo. Its “spatial” though. You won’t hear distinct left and right signals as you designed them; you’ll hear 2 different signals blended in a different way.

Hmm ok, similar to Bose 901's? A friend of mine had 4 of these, two pairs stacked on top of one another with a 1000 w Sunfire amp, man MEGADETH never sounded better, but that was 25 years ago... ;):p
When you said "hear 2 different signals blended in a different way" did you mean with 2 of them or just 1?

Hmm ok, similar to Bose 901's? A friend of mine had 4 of these, two pairs stacked on top of one another with a 1000 w Sunfire amp, man MEGADETH never sounded better, but that was 25 years ago... ;):p
When you said "hear 2 different signals blended in a different way" did you mean with 2 of them or just 1?
You’ll hear a pleasant two-channel effect, but not to where you can locate instruments in a sound field.

The 2 sub output may mean I'd need to hunt for a pair of subwoofers. It just never ends...

Look at the output of the SY-300, it says L & R. As long as the patches within the SY-300 are set to stereo (and as @Rex suggests, if you're not sure, refer to its manual), if you run it to 2 PAs from the L & R output, it's stereo.
qBnLmuM.png

The Centerpoint strangely feels more “stereo” than 2 physically separated CLR monitors lol.

With true stereo setups there is an obvious sweet spot where your hearing each speaker equally, and the stereo image can be really cool, especially with things like a ping pong delay etc

However, that stereo effect is reduced elsewhere around the room and you lose a lot of the perceived effect. The Centerpoint doesn’t have a stereo image per say, but it sounds very immersive anywhere in the room.

It’s like those emulated surround sound effects, it’s obviously still coming from two sources, but the perceived psycho-acoustical effect which is created by taking advantage of the auditory systems use of time, phase and spectral cues to localize sound, feels “real”.

I’d honestly use the higher watt Centerpoint for a smaller performance rather than stereo monitor speakers. Just provided a larger since of sound to anyone in the room which stereo speakers won’t do unless the audience is all in the sweet spot.

Centerpoint won’t work well in large venues though so it’s limited, but, in the right venue it pretty cool to carry just one monitor and be able to have everyone in a smaller venue hear essentially the same sound.

Back
Top Bottom