To low input..

Jaekae

Have a bit of a problem, i have 2 guitars, one gibson les paul with burstbucker pro pups, 1 ibanez prestige with bareknuckle nailbomb pups. And it seems like my input on the axe 2 is set to low from factory. I have to put the instr in to 100% on both guitars, the les paul sometimes tickle the red. the ibanez never does it, it only tickles the orange. The ibby doesnt feel right, like it has less gain that it should (it has high output pickups). Feels like playing with the guitar volumes turned down a bit.. im going to try a strat sometime soon also, but i guess that never will get to orange even..

is this a case for warranty or is there something that can fix it? i got the axe 2 when 6.0 came out. First i thought i had a firmware bug but i still have it after 2 more fw upgrades. Id like to make the sweep on the instr in to make more difference.. theres almost no difference from 50% to 100%

Is Input 1 Left Select set to Front, and is Input 1 Mode set to Left?

Also, did you perform a system reset yet?

Is Input 1 Left Select set to Front, and is Input 1 Mode set to Left?

Also, did you perform a system reset yet?

Yes to all 3, allways do a system reset after upgrading fw, i also load all factory presets and start over from the beginning with my own presets

Sounds like something not right with the ibanez, the nailbomb should be considerable higher output than the gibson burstbucker pro! (wiring, pots ?)

Ibanez hasn't got active electronics?

P.S. My Les Paul has '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus pickups. I leave Input Level at 50%, where it sometimes lights up red.

Ibanez hasn't got active electronics?

P.S. My Les Paul has '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus pickups. I leave Input Level at 50%, where it sometimes lights up red.

its passive, i dont think its a problem with the guitar, works with other equipment, and i also shouldnt need 100% for a les paul, 100 should be for low input single coil guitars..

I have mine at 93%.

You could raise your pickups closer to the strings for more output if it makes you feel better.

Your unit is fine.

How about pickup height? it makes big difference. And you are right ,shouldn't need 100% my Les Paul Acces w? 498t is 30% ,Strat w? Dimarzio 36th Anniversary 35%, My p.u height is 1/16th to 3/32 on high E freted at last fret 3/32 to 1/8 on low E.

I have the exacr same issue with my box. Impossible to reach the red irrespective of the guitar I plugged in (Ibanez, Les Paul, Strat or Tele). I do not feel it creates any problem though. I am happy with my sounds but obviously it is difficult to be certain that I am not missing some "plus" I might enjoy if the thing was functioning as it should.

That sounds very strange to me. Have you tried using another guitar cable (some guitar cables have to be used in one direction only I was told the other day)? I have to turn down my Guitar with SD Cool Rails (they are medium output) to about 30% to not have too much input level.

Check your cable because it's the only other common component in there at this point.

Unless your pickups are absolutely buried into the bodies of your guitars you should be hovering around 50% for the input gain based on what I'm getting with similar pickups. I believe that you can go into the I/O or UTILITY menu and see the levels on another scale just in case it's an LED calibration issue.

EDIT: I think that there is a pad setting in the I/O menu as well....make sure that you aren't attenuating the signal; it should be set to 0.

Yeah- doing fine here at 50% with a Telecaster and various PAF range humbucker guitars.
The Tele does not quite tickle the red (but as in real life the singles are simply not as hot).
I could turn up the input on the AXE for the Tele but no need to really.

mine is also weak , i had one repair one the input,but still running humbuckers and single coils in the 80 to 100 zone,i asked for more long time ago but maybe its not possible to change

I was wondering what people were setting their input at with humbuckers. Mine are on the lower end of hot, and I'm setting input at 20%, which seems to be somewhat like having lower output pickups, resulting in a more streamlined sound with higher amp gains. 50% seems about max.

Maybe something to do with the automatic impedance detection of the Axe?
Try some of the manual settings, maybe (like 1MOhm)?

I use Bulldog humbuckers
they're about as hot as a Di'M Breed [hot, but not hugely so]

my Axe input is iirc set in the 70's because I like to aggressively tickle the reds..

but I can still make a red LED light on occasion when set down in the 40's

Check your cable because it's the only other common component in there at this point.

Unless your pickups are absolutely buried into the bodies of your guitars you should be hovering around 50% for the input gain based on what I'm getting with similar pickups. I believe that you can go into the I/O or UTILITY menu and see the levels on another scale just in case it's an LED calibration issue.

EDIT: I think that there is a pad setting in the I/O menu as well....make sure that you aren't attenuating the signal; it should be set to 0.

gonna add to this sterling comment...

you may also want to check the Ibe's jack socket..
especially if it's the barrel type...
these are notoriously cack..
I've changed many of these..
on occasion you may find one that drops the signal level from the guitar..
not in an intermittent [crackle / cut-out / popping] way..
but in a constant low output way.. like the vol is rolled off to 70% or worse..

EDIT: other duff parts within the guitar can do this too... vol pot / tone pot / selector switch / duff solder joints..
Ibe's are in general beautifully designed guitars that are made crap, and made out of crap..

Check the input-impedance-setting on the axe II .
1 MOhm should be best i think.

[QUOTE
To low input..
Have a bit of a problem, i have 2 guitars, one gibson les paul with burstbucker pro pups, 1 ibanez prestige with bareknuckle nailbomb pups. And it seems like my input on the axe 2 is set to low from factory. I have to put the instr in to 100% on both guitars, the les paul sometimes tickle the red. the ibanez never does it, it only tickles the orange. The ibby doesnt feel right, like it has less gain that it should (it has high output pickups). Feels like playing with the guitar volumes turned down a bit.. im going to try a strat sometime soon also, but i guess that never will get to orange even..

is this a case for warranty or is there something that can fix it? i got the axe 2 when 6.0 came out. First i thought i had a firmware bug but i still have it after 2 more fw upgrades. Id like to make the sweep on the instr in to make more difference.. theres almost no difference from 50% to 100%
..[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom