To IR or not to IR - Cab Pack purchase worth the money?

Wildwind

Experienced
This might be in the wrong forum...

I only use the 'freebie' Ultra-Res IRs provided by Fractal. Axe-Fx II on current firmware, BTW. P&W guitarist in a very hot band, silent stage, Strat player.

I'm only using three amps - the Urban Tweed/Twin, Friedman BE/HBE, and Mesa Mark IIC+. I'm super pleased with what I'm hearing but always looking for better. I have tried dozens of the provided IRs with my various amps.

There is temptation for me to buy one of the Cab Packs, either 4 or 15. Focusing on 15...

Does the "matching" Urban IR sound notably than any of the freebie IRs? I'm actually using the Lonestar 2x12 lately and give it an edge over the more logical Fender types. For the Friedmans, I'm using the FAS 4x12, #60 on the list. What would I need to buy to notably improve my tones? I do prefer smaller cabs - they seem more focused and upfront in the mix.

Or will I be like some others who aren't finding the purchases superior to the freebies? I am grateful for all things Cliff and know I can make music with what he has provided. But money is a bit tight and I hate to waste it.

I hope you can follow my ramblings here. I greatly appreciate your thoughts, as always.

Greg

Seems crazy to me not to buy as many ir's ( and Cab Lab ) as you can afford, they take the axe to the next level and make it your own.

I stopped using stock IRs after my first month of using the Axe-Fx Standard. Once you find the right IR for yourself you'll notice that you spend less time tweaking and more time playing.

Cab Pack 15 is quite a must for Fendery tones and especially if you use the Urban amp a lot. Also there are some of my IRs in there which I know are being used by huge artists.

IIC+? Cab Pack 7. Try the stock IRs from CP7 and see if you like them. (USA Trad ML) My own main rhythm tone is the HBE as well and I test all my IRs with it.

Pls remeber that 50% of your Tone comes from IR ( regardless what somebody says) So having more IR gives you more variety and the chnace to sit better in the mix in different venues.

Dramatic down side is that you will spend even more time on Axe as you will(have to listen )and check IR's to find what suits you best
But thats fun too

And stock IR's are very good.Some are better then anything you can buy.But there are new IR's especially the mixes which make a huge positive chnage to your tone-in a way you would never expect.

just my 2 cents

Roland

I don't think so, I've purchased a few packs, and end up going back to stock cabs. Maybe used one in a patch somewhere, but for 30 bux, no. IMHO, YMMV

Last edited:
Most "stock" cabs are featured in cab packs from different vendors, so.... if you like what's in the box you'll definitely benefit from getting additional cab packs.

I used to use Redwirez IRs and after the ultra-res stuff I am more than happy with my Cab Packs from Fractal and ML. Worth every penny!

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Sorry, didn't realize you had responded. This got moved and my notifications stopped. I'll look at these in more detail tomorrow.

Greg

Cab Pack 15 is quite a must for Fendery tones and especially if you use the Urban amp a lot. Also there are some of my IRs in there which I know are being used by huge artists.

So there's more than just 4 or 5 IRs? I've never had a pack like this. There are a number of IRs "mixed" with some/most of the listed mics? For the Urban Tweed, for example - which mic would I select for that cabinet?

Obviously I know less than nothing here. Thanks for you indulgence.

Greg

talking about "good IRs" (and I know who coock good IRs here :lol )... the only thing I can say is: get all IRs you can!
Think the Axe as the main software... and the IRs as a plug-in: with a lot of work (a LOT! for each block!) you can get the tone you want just from the Axe (eqing the amp, tweacking the cabs parametres, using filter block, playing with delays and verbs... etc..)
BUT... thake a tour in your IRs collection ... and BUM! "THE" tone is here just with amp and cab blocks!
The same (and better) when you are recording and mixing a guitar track... hours and hours carving the mix frequencies, panning... searching the right room for the guitar tone...
OR.. just try some other IR... and again BUM!... the guitar track is ready here! ... and what about doubling a guitar track?... just change IR... and you are ready to go!

So there's more than just 4 or 5 IRs? I've never had a pack like this. There are a number of IRs "mixed" with some/most of the listed mics? For the Urban Tweed, for example - which mic would I select for that cabinet?

Obviously I know less than nothing here. Thanks for you indulgence.

Greg

Sure I think the pack has almost 200 IRs. I know that my part for that Cab Pack is 55 IRs. I have that Alloy collection in there which includes 5 different options of 6 different mic pairs mixed in real life which some realistic phase. (Alloy IRs) That means 30 mixed IRs. What you should mix together on your own is really about you finding what you like. I usually have my favorite option as the 1st IR so that's a good starting point right there. :)

If you struggle to find a good amp+cab combination that sounds good, consider trying thecabfactory bundle. There IRs are combined with amps in presets. You can load that presets into the Axe and have a great starting poing with an amp and a matching cab IR that already sound very good together. I think that it is very convinient if you don't have enough time or opportunity to go through couple of hundreds of IRs at high volumes (and preferably with a band). I tried couple of those live, they sound fantastic.

Sure I think the pack has almost 200 IRs. I know that my part for that Cab Pack is 55 IRs. I have that Alloy collection in there which includes 5 different options of 6 different mic pairs mixed in real life which some realistic phase. (Alloy IRs) That means 30 mixed IRs. What you should mix together on your own is really about you finding what you like. I usually have my favorite option as the 1st IR so that's a good starting point right there.

Thanks! Time to splurge a little. I will download tonight and tweak this weekend prior to my Sunday gig. Hard to imagine it can sound even better!

If you struggle to find a good amp+cab combination that sounds good, consider trying the cabfactory bundle.

Thanks for this! I had looked at this as well, but not closely. Time to get close.

I appreciate all the responses. I will download the 2x12 pack for starters.

Thanks! Time to splurge a little. I will download tonight and tweak this weekend prior to my Sunday gig. Hard to imagine it can sound even better!

Thanks for this! I had looked at this as well, but not closely. Time to get close.

I appreciate all the responses. I will download the 2x12 pack for starters.

The IR that I'm using the most out of that pack and is my go to IR for all [rhymes with Blender] sounds is: ML Double Verb SM57-MD421 4. My IRs in that pack have a noticably deeper low end.

I have purchased and wasted a lot of money on cab packs. It's just a rabbit hole to be honest. I realize that the third parties put a lot of time and effort into making these and god bless you for that. But stock IRs will do you fine.

Back
Top Bottom