To EQ or not to EQ - that is the question

GuitarMan86

Power User
Hey All,

I am wondering how many of you use an EQ (whether it be GEQ or PEq or Global or AMP, etc.)?

I was wondering as I seem to experience the FM curve at gig volumes and then would place a GEQ after the AMP block to shape and take out the harsh frequencies.

Since I am using a (Matrix GT1000FX-2U) into guitar cabinet on stage I use Output 2 to my guitar cab and then place an FXL block at the end of my chain with a CAB block going Output 1 to FOH.

Do you find it necessary to EQ? I play loud and mostly Hard Rock....just looking for opinions here since I still struggle with tweaking all the time. I do use the 'tweakistry' settings posted on the Matrix site to compensate some on the global EQ of Output 1

Depends on the speakers being used.
I found the g12-75 to get really harsh.
With v30 I don't use eq at all. I've been thinking
of making tonematch bloks to convert from different speakers.

Hey All,

I am wondering how many of you use an EQ (whether it be GEQ or PEq or Global or AMP, etc.)?

I was wondering as I seem to experience the FM curve at gig volumes and then would place a GEQ after the AMP block to shape and take out the harsh frequencies.

Since I am using a (Matrix GT1000FX-2U) into guitar cabinet on stage I use Output 2 to my guitar cab and then place an FXL block at the end of my chain with a CAB block going Output 1 to FOH.

Do you find it necessary to EQ? I play loud and mostly Hard Rock....just looking for opinions here since I still struggle with tweaking all the time. I do use the 'tweakistry' settings posted on the Matrix site to compensate some on the global EQ of Output 1

I am using the GBE 1240-V75 that are stock in my G-flex Gen Benz cabs for on stage. They are kind of bass'y since they are ported cabs etc. But still I find that the amp alone with no EQ tends to be harsh even when I compensate the bass,mid,treb settings alone?

I use the amp eq 75% of the time to get a bit of a a scooped tone. I usually lower 500 Hz -1db, 1kHz -2 db and 2Khz -1 db. Sometimes I'll increase 8 kHz 1 to 2 db. I like a bright sound. I'm not using IR's because I prefer micing my cabinets in the studio since I have a good collection of mics and preamps and guitar cabs. Maybe I'll try IR's when V10 is out. I use a Mesa Boogie 2 90 or an old B&K power amp which is a MOSFET power amp when I want a flat sound. I just don't find the IR's natural sounding to my ears. Maybe when I get a chance to experiment some more. I just switched to the Axe Fx 2 from the Ultra which I used for almost 3 years! The Axe Fx 2 amps sound way better!

I found using it was necessary to achieve some old school thrash mark mesa tones, other than that I avoid it as much as possible. High and low pass are all I do now. If it needs further adjustments to fit in a given mix, it's done in the DAW.

I use PEQ After the cab sim, same as I would do in s studio situation after recording tracks, to fatten up the sound... but I am running FRFR...

All good thoughts.....thanks
I understand the usage in an DAW situation for shaping and achieving the tone your chasing.

What I struggle with is whether or not it is necessary for guitar cab live sound. I can't seem to get a loud tone (that isn't harsh) with only an AMP block, and REVERB block into my guitar cab. ....well I can....but one that cuts through the mix fine....or isn't harsh to the ears per say
I am just saying in general....without tweaking any other settings besides the basics.

You can get rid of the harshness by decreasing the frequencies I discribed above using a graphic or a parametric is fine. The good thing about the parametric is that you can cut or boost frequencies and narrow widen the amount of the frequency your working on. Usually harshness can be fixed by decreasing 500 Hz to 2,000 Hz (anything in between)post distortion and sometimes pre distortion. I try to avoid using to much eq when mixing and if I do, is always cut instead of boost. I like boosting frequencies in the Axe Fx 2 before the power amp when micing my cabs because I feel that mics pick up the " excitement" that occurs when boosting certain frequency which the mics pick up. If I have to boost frequencies when mixing I rather use a hardware eq like my SSL eq, API etc which sounds more natural. This is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for that....

What I am wondering is....NOT using any EQ from the Axe going to a power amp (matrix 1000) then to a guitar cab for live sound. I seem to have to put an EQ block in to take it away. Anyone doing this at gig volume with high gain and finding no need to EQ? Curious on this also.

I use the global EQ to cut some lows because otherwise my Atomic FR will be a bit boomy. All the EQ options are there so you can get any tone you need so use them if you feel like they make your tone better. There is no right or wrong answer to this.

Since I use a Mesa Boogie 2 90 for live gigs I sometimes have to lower the brightness a bit or lower the presence on the Mesa 2 90. At rehearsal is also bright . I also use the global eq to lower it. My studio was built with great acoustics so it sounds different in my booth.

Hey All,

It is for this reasons that guys say tweaking needs to be done at gig levels and if you are using a real cab the tweak with out. I rarely encounter FM issue because I tweak for the environment I will be playing in some times I have to make small adjustments but never drastic oned. With that said if you need an eq to make the adjustments do it! Every tool in the box is there to be used if/as needed. Disregard that in the past you may have not needed an eq. All that matters is you think you do now so go for it

I use the amp eq 75% of the time to get a bit of a a scooped tone. I usually lower 500 Hz -1db, 1kHz -2 db and 2Khz -1 db. Sometimes I'll increase 8 kHz 1 to 2 db. I like a bright sound. I'm not using IR's because I prefer micing my cabinets in the studio since I have a good collection of mics and preamps and guitar cabs. Maybe I'll try IR's when V10 is out. I use a Mesa Boogie 2 90 or an old B&K power amp which is a MOSFET power amp when I want a flat sound. I just don't find the IR's natural sounding to my ears. Maybe when I get a chance to experiment some more. I just switched to the Axe Fx 2 from the Ultra which I used for almost 3 years! The Axe Fx 2 amps sound way better!

To me IR's do sound they way a close mic'd cab does but they don't have the in the room sound that we are used too. Why not shoot IR's of the cabs you have since you said you have some nice ones and are in a studio? That would be cool

it is generally good practice to have a set of presets for lower volume home / studio practice through studio monitors / cans
and a copy of them optimised for playing at high volume through your backline / live monitoring system
this is because the requirements and problems they present are often opposing

the lower volume stuff will want quite a bit more low end and possible highs too
live, these lows and highs could become problematic and may need taming some

also, your live presets may need slightly harder gate settings and some slight changes with other settings [reverb / delay etc]

it is generally good practice to have a set of presets for lower volume home / studio practice through studio monitors / cans
and a copy of them optimised for playing at high volume through your backline / live monitoring system
this is because the requirements and problems they present are often opposing

the lower volume stuff will want quite a bit more low end and possible highs too
live, these lows and highs could become problematic and may need taming some

also, your live presets may need slightly harder gate settings and some slight changes with other settings [reverb / delay etc]

Definitely...and this is what I end up doing. I am using the global EQ to compensate the Matrix and then I use a GEQ to tame the mix and things sound fine.
However, these presets do not play nicely going into my DAW....whole different world.

It is for this reasons that guys say tweaking needs to be done at gig levels and if you are using a real cab the tweak with out. I rarely encounter FM issue because I tweak for the environment I will be playing in some times I have to make small adjustments but never drastic oned. With that said if you need an eq to make the adjustments do it! Every tool in the box is there to be used if/as needed. Disregard that in the past you may have not needed an eq. All that matters is you think you do now so go for it

To me IR's do sound they way a close mic'd cab does but they don't have the in the room sound that we are used too. Why not shoot IR's of the cabs you have since you said you have some nice ones and are in a studio? That would be cool

I need to do some more experimenting, I just got the Axe Fx 2 a week ago an although is extremely easy to use it has so many great features that it will take me months to get through all the features. I would love to use IR'a because it's so convenient! But I work at my studio for a living and I'm so busy! I also have Ir's from OH and RW. I also love the way the Axe Fx 2 sounds with my Mesa 2 90, I have one of the new Crown D class power amps and the Mesa sounds way better! I miss the power amp parameters that you can adjust with Axe Fx 2 but the difference in sound is huge to my ears. I will eventually have to give up on the Mesa power amp because I have 2 herniated disk in my neck and I can't carry heavy gear. With the Axe Fx I cut my gear by 50 % because I don't have to bring 4 different amps to cover all the guitar sounds that my band requires because we do a 70's set, 80's and 90's. So I want to take advantage of the higher resolution of the Cab block of the Axe Fx 2.

Back
Top Bottom