To cab or not

andyp13

Power User
I am experimenting with a carverPM300 amp (though I don't think it will be powerful enough for live) and my Zilla 2x12 cab loaded with eminance Tonkerlite speakers. Am I best bypassing the cab block (or even leave it out all together).
Will it harm my speakers to have cab sim on?

Shouldn't harm them but certainly won't sound very good in most cases. Don't really know why you'd want to use the cab block when your using a real cab ?

You can think of the cab block and IR's as sort of an EQ or filter on the signal. Running an already filtered sound into a real cab is going to sound muddy as heck

My experience has been that if I accidentally leave the cab blocks on (say, I've had the Axe at home, running direct) it sounds too muddled when run into regular guitar speakers. Obviously that can change based on the cab chosen in the Axe, as well as mic (or no mic) or even things like the 'room' setting in the cab block - and even the guitar speakers.

What sounds good to you?
That's a somewhat valid question, but don't forget that what seems to "sound good" isn't always the best criteria. This happens when mixing, and it happens when dialing in that amazing, sweet tone - only to later discover you've dialed yourself right out of "sounding good" and into something that doesn't actually work. It's important to have a reference.

I do both. I run output 1 to a Carvin DCM1540L power amp running a Fender 2x12 open back and a Marshall 4x12 without cab sims and also output 2 to PA with cab sim. Very large!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom