To build a cab for the new Celestion F12-X200?

Chiguete

Experienced
Anyone here plans on building a custom cab when they get their hands on the new Celestion F12-X200 ? If so,anything special to take in consideration on the design of the cab?

I just don't get used to playing thru my monitors and the other day I watched this video and I think it makes sense because when I play thru a normal guitar cab I'm much happier with the feel and response I'm getting.

No need to build a new cab. Just get your favourite guitar 2x12 cabinet, replace the speakers, turn on cab sim in the fractal and you're good to go. It sounds amazing. If you want the sound to be even better, then I recommend just cutting the edges of the rear panel of the cab, so you're just creating a vent for the air to move in and out, as the speakers move. This improves the bottom end and adds some clarity. Otherwise the cones are compressed by the air pressure inside the cab.

Anyone here plans on building a custom cab when they get their hands on the new Celestion F12-X200 ? If so,anything special to take in consideration on the design of the cab?

I just don't get used to playing thru my monitors and the other day I watched this video and I think it makes sense because when I play thru a normal guitar cab I'm much happier with the feel and response I'm getting.

This video is not a very fair comparison. First of all he uses (close to) the least expensive PA cab built, and puts it against a high-end Friedman. Then we should mention mic placement in respect to the PA cab's horn/woofer arrangement. I am not trying to say that FRFR cabs give you AITR experience, but come on! Let's at least be intellectually honest in our comparisons!

I put two X200s in a used, home built 2x12 cab. No port. Closed back. I like it for some applications. I like my CLRs for other applications. They sound pretty great together. I'm planning on giving the 2x12 a little breathing room like @milan.pohancenik suggested. Maybe louvers that open for performance and close for transport. :)

I saw that and I got a friend of mine that is an amp builder to make me a powered cab but we did it as an openback cab because we didn't have the port and we didn't want to wait jeje. But it turned out great! I just allways wondered how different the openback vs the ported hole design actually sounds like.
20190411_132256.jpg20190411_132319.jpg20190411_132459.jpgIMG_20190321_143640_359.jpg

No need to build a new cab. Just get your favourite guitar 2x12 cabinet, replace the speakers, turn on cab sim in the fractal and you're good to go. It sounds amazing. If you want the sound to be even better, then I recommend just cutting the edges of the rear panel of the cab, so you're just creating a vent for the air to move in and out, as the speakers move. This improves the bottom end and adds some clarity. Otherwise the cones are compressed by the air pressure inside the cab.
I'm sure it works great out of the box in some cabs, but that's not my experience....
I have an XF212 cab where the F12-X200 doesn't fit (the F12-X200 is deeper than a regular speaker).
Tried it in an old cabinet that I had lying around, it was a Marshall Valvestate 8080 combo where the amp was broken.
It was an open back 112, didn't like the F12-X200 in it...
I bought a montage front-ported "Thiele" cabinet, at rehearsal volume it would sound as if the speaker was in a cardboard box.

Finally I built a cab myself as per the Celestion plans, and now the F12-X200 sounds great!
HIGHLY recommended.
It even sounds great for music, we use it as a party speaker as well.

How much does that end up costing, speaker plus materials to build the cab?
From memory...
Speaker: 135€
Wood (Birch multiplex 18mm): 60€
Glue: 10 €
Duratex paint: 15€
Hardware (Damping material, foots, screws, handle etc): +/- 25€

Optional: Plate amplifier PWR-ICE125 OR Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170: 360€

From memory...
Speaker: 135€
Wood (Birch multiplex 18mm): 60€
Glue: 10 €
Duratex paint: 15€
Hardware (Damping material, foots, screws, handle etc): +/- 25€

Optional: Plate amplifier PWR-ICE125 OR Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170: 360€
Hmmm, that's a bit over 600€, around $660 USD, more than I'd hoped.

It's not cheap, there are cheaper alternatives.
But it is a great setup and not as expensive as the high end FRFR cabinets (Xitone, Mission Engineering, Atomic CLR).
If you like building things, it's a great exercise.

And prices in the US will be lower, don't forget that we pay 21% tax on everything here in Belgium...

Hows the dispersion pattern on the F12-X200? Some Celestions can be very directional and beamy, especially in the highs.

This is how I'm using the F12. Two Laney IRT112 cabs, one got rear ported an some dampening from inside, the other one is just loaded without any mods to the cab. Both are connected in parallel to the Palmer. Nothing extra, but together with low freq resonance, de-phase and mic preamp modelling, the sound is thick and sits well in the band. I own the Matrix Q12 cabs and compared to this setup, they just sound boxy and unreal ...

IMG_20200429_144004.jpgIMG_20200504_215935.jpg

Back
Top Bottom