To anyone else who also just received their Axe-Fx II ... how is your fan noise?

Just got my AXE II yesterday.
My fan sounds just like the original poster.

It does not bother me when I am playing, but when I am not it is a bit loud IMO, but I am in a quiet basement home studio setup.
I did replace the fan in my Ultra with the Silenx 12dba that meets the specs noted by Cliff and was happy.

Will do the same here.

By the way- The AXE II sounds and feels great.
Very impressed.

I can't hear the fan - replacing the stock one was the second thing I did - after playing two hours with the Patch 000 ;)

I just really do not hear mine at all. I f i struggle to listen i can. I would have to say that my Axe II is quieter than the Ultra a little. Neither one distract me.

Sensitivity to fan noise does vary from person to person. It drives me nuts, and the Fx2 is easily the noisiest I've heard in stuff intended for studio use
The Mk2 noise is OK when playing Live, but much much too loud to be next to me in a studio

In over 20 years owning computers and cooled audio gear, this is the first time I've seen a fan inside a sealed box. Seems odd, unless you are only catering for sealed road-rugged rack units where noise is not a problem (since these DSPs kick out so little heat, they can do without ventilation holes with the noisy stock fan, since the whole chassis acts as a heatsink)

There are loads of GPUs that must kick out more heat than this and use just large passive cooling heatsinks or very slow large quiet fans above such heatsinks, see the range of this firm I've used for 10 years: Quiet PC UK - Silent Motherboard and RAM Cooling

No issue on my Axe2...or at least not enough to bug me. On my Ultras it seemed to be louder...although still didn't bug me.

My fan has same issue as original poster.

Ok, in all fairness, I'm very very pleased with the Axe-Fx II. I own a lot of nice gear and it's my #1 fav. :) Thank you Fractal team!

With that out of the way, I notice that, just like the original poster, my fan is not only louder than the ultra, but constantly fluctuates RPM's and I can't help but think about it every few seconds. It sits at my studio desk about 4 ft from my head. I use to work in the computer industry and run my own small repair shop "back in the day," and what it sounds like is a fan that is about to go bad. I'm afraid to open up the unit unit until long past the warranty expires. I don't record vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. in this room, so I'm not worried about any bleed. I guess the good thing is that if the fan ever does fail, I'll notice immediately. :) I'm sorry, I didn't read all 15 pages worth of posts, just the first 3 or so, but I'm thinking ya'll don't think I'm crazy--apparently some Axe-FX IIs have either something in the voltage supply or the fan themselves that is different from unit to unit.

IMO, This Thread is a better place for fan discussions now.
However, there are several, and some good advice lies within some of them, making all of them worth reading. Would be nice to keep it all in one thread though, complete with follow ups.

Further, Cliff has commented on this before. IIRC, he stated that the fan specs (size, CFM, etc) are by design, along with placement in the case, no venting, etc. If the fan is replaced, do so with a new stock one, or one that meets the original's specs. I would contact support prior to doing anything though.

My FX II is definitely noisier than the Ultra. It is just a louder fan noise and not rattling or such. I do notice it when I turn the FX II on, but as the music and playing get louder I do not notice it till I am ready to turn it off. I would be annoyed if I had to use it for recording.

Just crank it up! Problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom