To anyone else who also just received their Axe-Fx II ... how is your fan noise?

Replaced on my Ultra and it was rather simple to do. Made a world of difference. I think it was a SilenX. Had to pop the lid to make sure it was running, well almost, it really is quiet tho. :)

I also have to admit the recording may not do the noise justice - it seems much more prominent in person.

Your recording tells gives us zero information about how loud your fan is, it just tells us what it sounds like tone-wise. We would need to hear a recording of your Axe II fan and then compare it to a recording if an Ultra in the EXACT same position, same mic gain, same mic angle, etc etc to be of any value whatsoever. I could put a mic next to any tiny micro fan, crank up the micpre gain and make it sound like you're next to an Apache helicopter. And we are all listening at different volumes on different speakers. No fan noise level information is available from your clip.

Your recording tells gives us zero information about how loud your fan is, it just tells us what it sounds like tone-wise. We would need to hear a recording of your Axe II fan and then compare it to a recording if an Ultra in the EXACT same position, same mic gain, same mic angle, etc etc to be of any value whatsoever. I could put a mic next to any tiny micro fan, crank up the micpre gain and make it sound like you're next to an Apache helicopter. And we are all listening at different volumes on different speakers. No fan noise level information is available from your clip.

While all true, my goal was not to scientifically measure the SPL of the fan noise but really to see if anyone else was experiencing the fluctuations in the fan noise. Turns out a couple of people were and support confirmed it as normal. I've either got to get used to it or replace it.

Mine is definitely no louder than the one on my Ultra. Probably quieter. About the only time I'd notice it is when turning my rack on.

That's my same observation. It's about the same or a bit quieter than the stock Ultra/Standard fan was. If you need it quieter, then just swap it out for a quieter one.

if I buy an amp for $2300 and don't like the tubes in it, I just change out the tubes. I've never understood the anxiety about this topic. No knock on those that do find it upsetting, just my observation.

My take on the FAN.
I work with computers all day, so this is why I think this way.

When I hear a fan I know it's working!!!!!! If I don't hear a fan I hear my tinnitus and that sucks.

Cliff can you make the fan louder? :)

Mark

I am in the same boat as you. Much prefer the hum to the high pitch whine :)

I will replace the fan on the AxeII (if I get it). I can't stand most fan noise. Pink noise is usually ok but the Ultra is definitely white noise. For those who say "I don't understand why this is an issue" that's exactly it, you don't understand because it doesn't affect you like it affects us. It is true that you can't hear it above cabinets or even while using headphones but when you are doing other work (editing) it is very audible and honestly cuts down my work tolerance in half.

I thought Fractal indicated that the fan wasn't as loud as the Ultra due to the change in mount. While I assume the mount was changed, it sounds like it is actually louder than the Ultra. I'm keeping the Ultra so I will be able to compare the two for myself (I'll be replacing the fans on both).

If you don't understand this yet insist that it is not an issue you're bordering on physiological ignorance and elitism. Sure, these are strong words but it's really that bad. It's like telling a color blind person that you can read the white and brown road signs just fine and that you don't understand why there's a petition to have them changed to a different color scheme.

Check out this video example of an stock and modified Ultra fan noise:
YouTube - ‪Axe-Fx Replacement Fan Installation -- The End Result‬‏

I will replace the fan on the AxeII (if I get it). I can't stand most fan noise. Pink noise is usually ok but the Ultra is definitely white noise. For those who say "I don't understand why this is an issue" that's exactly it, you don't understand because it doesn't affect you like it affects us. It is true that you can't hear it above cabinets or even while using headphones but when you are doing other work (editing) it is very audible and honestly cuts down my work tolerance in half.

I thought Fractal indicated that the fan wasn't as loud as the Ultra due to the change in mount. While I assume the mount was changed, it sounds like it is actually louder than the Ultra. I'm keeping the Ultra so I will be able to compare the two for myself (I'll be replacing the fans on both).

If you don't understand this yet insist that it is not an issue you're bordering on physiological ignorance and elitism. Sure, these are strong words but it's really that bad. It's like telling a color blind person that you can read the white and brown road signs just fine and that you don't understand why there's a petition to have them changed to a different color scheme.

So it's not an issue for them, but an issue for you. Everybody just agree to disagree then, I see no problem here.

So it's not an issue for them, but an issue for you. Everybody just agree to disagree then, I see no problem here.

What he said.

"Bordering on physiological ignorance and elitism" and such is really dramatic overstatement of your case grape. If you require - for whatever reason - a quieter fan, there are solutions on the market. That's not condescending, snarky, snotty, or acting superior. That's a fact. Just change the fan to a quieter one than what comes stock if the stock fan proves to be bothersome to you. This really isn't a problem. A nuisance if you feel that way? Sure. But not more than that. Let's keep it real.

Which SilenX model do you recommend for the AxeII?

I don't know. I think - do NOT quote me - that the stock fan pushes 15.3 cfm so anything at or above that range should be ok.

Please, please, please fact check me on this one. I really don't recall where I read that but it is NOT official.

Scott, I'm going to be very direct with you. I appreciate about 1/2 of your comments. You provide good info. The other half I do not like. I'm mostly a lurker but I think you post 1/2 good info (why people tolerate the other half of your back hand).

Ignorance:
Failure to recognize that this fan issue is due to a genuine physiological difference among people. Many who say this is not an issue take it too far and belittle others. Look at this thread (admittedly mild) but filled with irrelevant jokes and not really honoring the person who was looking for help. I do call that ignorance.

Elitism:
Spawned from ignorance. Our issues don't matter because they don't matter to you (I'm not pointing at you Scott).

Has anyone replaced their AxeFX II fan yet? Will the same fan replacement instructions used with the Ultra/Standard work?

Y'all seem to have overlooked the possibility that there is some variation in how loud the fans are, both from unit to unit as well as over time. The fan in my Ultra went from barely audible to annoying over a period of six months.

Back
Top Bottom