AFIII To All The Pundits

Not even guessing, ‘cause that’s all it would be. Too close, and if I just heard the track I’d never know there was more than one to chose from!

They all sound alike to my tinnitus ridden ears....How many here remember: "Is it real or is it Memorex ?".... Hint - a commercial where the taped recording is able to shatter glass just like the singer does in a live performance when a certain high note is reached. .

Last edited:
Pundits = haters ->
0d904dde619dc4c72c7d2ec0a680c31c.jpg

I liked 1 & 4 best and I'm also thinking they're the III, as from what I've heard from it so far, it's sounds just like the real amps it models, except quieter, a bit of extra sparkle on the top and a bit better bass handling. It's like every amp is just a really sweet sounding example of that particular amp, the II (and AX8) pretty much nail all the amps too, but they don't sound quite as sweet and open as the same models in the III.

Listening on an iPad, neither sounds better... Although I think 1&4 are the same source and 2&3 are the other.

As far as personal preference, I'd pick 1 or 4 as they are a bit less bright to my ears.

I gotta agree, 1&4 same source, 2&3 same source.
Personally I like 1&4 better, as they sounded more full to me...or maybe 2&3 sounded farther away to me.
Right or wrong doesn't matter any more. If I'm right, I want one and if I'm wrong, I want one.

Then again, I can't hear much difference these days, this is REALLY subtle.
Whatever it proves, I want one ;)

Thanks for taking the time Cliff

EDIT: I had to listen a couple of times to hear the slightest difference.

Last edited:
Ha, I know what you did here. You played 4 clips on your Axe-Fx 3 and made us throw wild blind guesses in the dark :)
I honestly cannot hear any difference...
Well played Sir. Well Played.

This is a comparison between a real Deluxe Reverb and the model. I set the knobs on the model to the same as the amp. I stuck a 57 in front of the amp and captured an IR (didn't even use the Mic+DI method). The mic position sucks but that's not the point of the exercise.

I then played the Rush lick four times. Two times are the mic'd amp, two are the model w/ the IR.

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/stfu.mp3
FLY BY...
The interesting thing is I had owned so many deluxe reverbs...and they are just awesome amps. But...for some reason I got into a deluxe / tubescreamer world the day I got my III...There is no question about it...that is some damn fine amp modeling.
I could easily go from clean George Benson stuff to full on SRV punchy...and even get into shred land.
the fender mods and pretty damn fine...all that good bubbly sound you want.

Thanks man

1. Real
2. .06 dB lower than #1
3. 2.5% dB more than #2 with -.5 dB compression at 256 kHz....might be 253kHz but not certain.
4. Axe-FX...... Unless I was wrong about #1. If so, switch #'s 1 & 4.

Outstanding Cliff!

It does? So you know which one is the real amp in the posted clip?

Please tell us which one is the Fractal and which is the amp. I thought they sounded more or less identical.

I love rush and especially Alex Lifsons guitar sound. I honestly do not hear any diffence sitting in front of my computer. I even raised the volume ... still no change.

Back
Top Bottom