AFIII To All The Pundits

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
This is a comparison between a real Deluxe Reverb and the model. I set the knobs on the model to the same as the amp. I stuck a 57 in front of the amp and captured an IR (didn't even use the Mic+DI method). The mic position sucks but that's not the point of the exercise.

I then played the Rush lick four times. Two times are the mic'd amp, two are the model w/ the IR.

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/stfu.mp3

Same here @jamn4jc, 3 stood out the most to me. But the differences are that minute no one is going to tell, or pick which one is which. Especially when you drop it in a mix. For all we know the 3rd track could very well be the Axe FX.

another example of the Axe FX being a great tool....just as any other piece of gear , amp , guitar and so on...
in my case : never cared if the Axe can sound like the 'original'.....BEST piece of gear I have ever owned and I did own , endorse quite some....:)

This is a comparison between a real Deluxe Reverb and the model. I set the knobs on the model to the same as the amp. I stuck a 57 in front of the amp and captured an IR (didn't even use the Mic+DI method). The mic position sucks but that's not the point of the exercise.

I then played the Rush lick four times. Two times are the mic'd amp, two are the model w/ the IR.

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/stfu.mp3
Sounds identical to my ears .. Love the file name ;)

sounds the same - wish there was a way to see a visual representation of "feel" which has become as or more important to me than anything else. I always come back to my AxeFx because it "feels" so darnn good to play in addition to the audible precision of the modelling against the original. I have lots of great sounding gear but, for me, the AxeFx separates itself by "feel" as much as by sound quality and/or exactness in modelling the original. I like to hear these comparisons and I'm never surprised that the AxeFx nails it every time, but, I'm less enthused than I used to be about them now after a long and expensive gear journey that has me concluding that AxeFx is in a league of it's own as much for it's dynamic feel as all the other benefits.

1 and 3 are the real amp for me, the only difference I hear is a "rumble" on the low frequencies especially when you play single notes, this gives the impression of a fuller sound on those and the fundamental stands out a bit more.
During chords instead 1 and 3 sound a bit less "phasy" in the top end.

But it could be just my imagination :D

I would gladly take very large bets against anyone who said they could pick this with any certainty at all.

Someone will get it right. They will then make a declaration about how they can always hear some non amp-like artifact in every Fractal model something to do with [choose one or more of the following: (a) unnatural compression, (b) fizz - always a safe bet, (c) real amp is more open, (d) lack of low end thump].

Back
Top Bottom