Here All the Axe fx lll

...and also,

Everywhere All the real amp
Everywhere All the Axe fx lll!!!

But I like the British "Hear, hear!" thing,
so perhaps it should be,

Hear All the real amp
Hear All the Axe fx lll.

Which I won't be doing, not for some time yet, since I didn't get on the waitlist until Feb 6. :(

For me it's four times the same thing; no difference. BTW I got a cooler more soft crunched sound of my DLR when I used to own one. Setting a bit brittle on this sample.

This is f#@cking cool! The variation between those 4 is equal to the variation one would hear with any fixed amp - just from picking attack and where the strings are hit.

This is f#@cking cool! The variation between those 4 is equal to the variation one would hear with any fixed amp - just from picking attack and where the strings are hit.
OMG I forgot that one : I'm sure you were using just the Axe Fx iii and but the strings in a different angle ! How could I forget that possibility ?

Wow. I honestly have no clue. I listened to it 3 times pretty loud on my headphones and I couldn't tell a difference. Just to play along I'll say 1 and 2 amp 3 and 4 the III.

I guessed 2 and 4 because I thought they sounded better than 1 and 3. Things have come a long way. Just simply amazing...

1. Amp
2. Axe
3. Amp
4. Axe

Two people got it right, everyone else got it wrong. Statistically the number of people who got it right is about the same as would have by random guessing.

Well, I got it exactly backwards. I thought it was...

1. Axe3
2. Amp
3. Axe3
4. Amp

I could tell which ones were the same but not which ones were the real amp from the Axe3. I’m pretty impressed with how the Axe3 sounded. It sounded more like I expect a Deluxe to sound than the actual amp did.

Ha, i preferred the Axe version. This is sort of like “i’ve changed my amp models, so many times now,
I don't know what they should sound like!”

Apologies to Talking Heads

Also, many a Rush tune, including FBN, are my go to tone testers.

Agreed. Those are my bread and butter. In some cases I’m happier with the Axe3’s Fender Twin and Deluxe models than I am with the actual Twins and Deluxes I own.

I've been loving the Deluxe too, and spend a ton of time playing it. Which while sounding awesome, always makes me feel a little strange, like thinking "okay, there are 200+ amp models in here, and all these ultra rare/expensive models that I'll probably never get to play in person, not to mention this near limitless amount of FX", on this flagship $2499 unit, and yet what did I spend 2 hours just playing ? A Deluxe model with nothing but the cab block and some reverb....

Its like if your playing a racing video, Fonza on XBox or whatever, most folks probably pick the super exotic cars, Ford GT40 in my case, because you can. The game does have things like a Honda Civic among its 500+ car choices, but how many people are picking those bone stock, everyday type of cars right ??

But that Deluxe just sounds and feels "right" to me, I just love the tone it gets, it works with my playing and my guitars. I've owned Deluxes in the past and honestly the model sounds better than the real thing. Probably because I couldn't often play my real ones past 2 or 3 without neighbors banging on the wall.

It kind of feels like I 'should' be setting up patches with dual amps, something like a TrainWreck in there, add in 4 delay blocks because now we can, have at least half of the grid utilized, 6 outputs running and all that cool stuff the unit can do, but then here I am using a $2499 modeler to get the sound of a guitar plugged straight into an amp that is like $1000 or so..... go figure

I've been loving the Deluxe too, and spend a ton of time playing it. Which while sounding awesome, always makes me feel a little strange, like thinking "okay, there are 200+ amp models in here, and all these ultra rare/expensive models that I'll probably never get to play in person, not to mention this near limitless amount of FX", on this flagship $2499 unit, and yet what did I spend 2 hours just playing ? A Deluxe model with nothing but the cab block and some reverb....

Its like if your playing a racing video, Fonza on XBox or whatever, most folks probably pick the super exotic cars, Ford GT40 in my case, because you can. The game does have things like a Honda Civic among its 500+ car choices, but how many people are picking those bone stock, everyday type of cars right ??

But that Deluxe just sounds and feels "right" to me, I just love the tone it gets, it works with my playing and my guitars. I've owned Deluxes in the past and honestly the model sounds better than the real thing. Probably because I couldn't often play my real ones past 2 or 3 without neighbors banging on the wall.

It kind of feels like I 'should' be setting up patches with dual amps, something like a TrainWreck in there, add in 4 delay blocks because now we can, have at least half of the grid utilized, 6 outputs running and all that cool stuff the unit can do, but then here I am using a $2499 modeler to get the sound of a guitar plugged straight into an amp that is like $1000 or so..... go figure

Yeah, that’s the thing I love about Fractal. I’ve been following digital modeling since back in the Roland VG days and as much as I wanted the tech to be ready, it just wasn’t. You could get some OK sounds out of it but it was never quite right. I play a lot of different styles but the bulk of my creative/personal output is post-punk/new wave/no wave/early goth and more ambient stuff where I’m pushing the limits of both the amp (and some cases, taste) and earlier modelers just didn’t do those kinds of sounds very well.

A few weeks ago Cliff posted a clip of a model that was pushed to it’s limits and compared it to a current competitor and the Axe3 clip sounded like I have come to expect an amp to sound when it was pushed that hard. Once modeling crossed that threshold of realism there was no reason for me not to use digital modeling all but exclusively moving forward.

Guitarists are a nit-picky bunch even without considering many of our ilk’s propensity for mythology and voodoo and I can imagine it can be frustrating making a product with such genuine potential to be all things to everyone but no one does that better than Fractal in my honest opinion...shaky buttons and lack of a polyphonic tuner aside, of course. ;)

Back
Top Bottom