To all fellow forumites

Kriig

Fractal Fanatic
Hi

A lot of users here ask for patches, some even demand them. When they are shared, many of the makers of patches or ir`s don`t hear anything from anyone again..
IMO this is not cool at all. If the patch does not work for you, you should still say thanks or at least hit "like".

Patches can take a long time to get perfect. Making an IR actually means that there is work with setting up things and making it.

I have had a lot of likes and comments, so i`m good, but i see other people sharing stuff, but nobody cares. That`s not a cool feeling.

So bottom line is:

If you guys want people to share:
Please donate... or at least say thanks or hit like, so the contributers can see the someone actually care.

To new/unexperienced users:

IR`s is EXTREMLY important!!! FW11.XX is so good that you should explore the ir side.
Try as many as possible. But take breaks when you do, because your ears get completly messed up with all those kind of eq changes.
I recommend the Ownhammer Packs/ir`s and Fractals IR packs.
I have not got the Fractal packs yet, because i`m working trough OH packs now. We have some of the mix versions from these packs in the AxeII and they sound killer.

We have very good things happening on this forum. With small adjustments it will be even better.

Peace.

Though I sympathize and would want the same, I still think you should share from the heart. If you go in with expectations, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. IMO, that is a general truth.

Everyone has taken stuff from the internet without emailing that person a TY. Life is too short to thank everyone on the internet that took time to write a good article, etc., etc. So you can see it as a way of giving back w/o necessarily needing TY's, but to even things out a tiny bit
icon_e_smile.gif

It's not cos someone spent days on a patch, that it is worth anything to someone else, because there are so many factors at play.

Actually that was part the opinion of almost all people a few years ago when there was talk of Don Petersen selling preset packs.
I was among literally not a handful that *did* support the possibility, even if the amp would sound wrong on my end, cause I know that some of the FX blocks alone could mean gold to someone. Most others cried: "All should be FREE!!!"

So yes, I support the callout, but I still think the one who shares should be without expectations ;)
For their own sake, cause you'll never win it anyway.
The appreciation is the number of downloads, job offers from Fractal ;) and other members, and that maybe even a superstar is liking / using your preset to build on!

OTOH, I feel for awesome sharers like Don Petersen and smilefan in the past too... They didn't get nearly enough appreciation.
AFAIK, they didn't put up a PayPal either... At least guys like fremen are getting something out of that.
But OTOH, these guys are remembered very fondly and will receive good karma. That is worth a lot too! :)

Last edited:
Though I sympathize and would want the same, I still think you should share from the heart. If you go in with expectations, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. IMO, that is a general truth.

I totally agree with this statement, share with out expecting anything back, honest sharing brings good Karma.

Well as one who doesn't generally seek patches from others and don't share either, I think first and foremost is manners. If you use you should thank or acknowledge. It has little to do with doing it from the heart or not.

If I see someone on the street who needs my help, whether helping an old lady across the street or opening the door for someone or helping someone who got hit by a mugger, I'd expect that person to say thank you. I didn't do it to hear that person thank me, but I'd be put off a little if they didn't at least say thank you. Simple manners.

Hi A lot of users here ask for patches, some even demand them. When they are shared, many of the makers of patches or ir`s don`t hear anything from anyone again. IMO this is not cool at all. If the patch does not work for you, you should still say thanks or at least hit "like". Patches can take a long time to get perfect. Making an IR actually means that there is work with setting up things and making it. I have had a lot of likes and comments, so i`m good, but i see other people sharing stuff, but nobody cares. That`s not a cool feeling. So bottom line is: If you guys want people to share: Please donate... or at least say thanks or hit like, so the contributers can see the someone actually care. We have very good things happening on this forum. With small adjustments it will be even better. Peace.

Word! :)

The OP was just a little heads up. It`s up to each and everyone to choose... If some has hard time to push like, it`s up to them..

It was not about expectations of the giver.. More about manners of the receiver.

Taking things from the big internet is not the same as getting something in this forum IMHO.. This is family :)

BTW: I allways say "thank you" after dinner. Would feel strange to walk from the table without a word ;)

PS: If anyone disagree, that`s fine by me.. Peace.

I would agree that being here (on this forum specifically) is like family. We take care one another...that means using manners that we were all taught. A valuable lesson learned I've learned over the years from my father is to never expect anything in return for your gracious deeds. You will get let down time and time again. If it so happens that someone says "thanks" or "excuse me" or "sorry", that's an added bonus, but you go on about your day as usual.

Just some rules I've lived by and always well, life is so much better when you have a positive outlook with so much negativity surrounding us every day!

Please and Thank You = good manners = courtesy and respect for others... Remember all the times as kids Mom and Dad scolding us for not using good manners... That's all I got without starting a forum brawl in the Colosseum with all the gladiators. :lol

Peace. Have a great day folks!

Sharing from the heart with no expectations brings the greatest reward, but thankfulness and appreciation for what you receive ,also requires a heart (Where's the sharing in in keeping this to yourself?),and expressing that is even greater!!!

I would also add that the use of emoticons in a post as to better interpret the attitude of the person posting ;). Thanks for posting Kriig

Reactions: LVC
I would also add that the use of emoticons in a post as to better interpret the attitude of the person posting ;). Thanks for posting Kriig

Emoticons isn't something I have a clear feel of how to use, I have not grown up with that, I use it only when it truly can add something and I certain I know what they mean.

Thanks for posting this thread Kriig.

I've generally found the members on this forum to be very supportive and generous. I've never posted presets or IRs because I am terrible at creating them, but with my software apps such as AxeFXReporter and AxeCabManager etc. I DID put out a request and paypal link for donation, and I have been ABSOLUTELY blown away with the support shown.

Many MANY people here have sent donations through, and that has really helped my motivation to keep working on those apps. I am very grateful for the support. Also, I enjoy the many 'Likes' and the posts of thanks in my threads for those apps. I really do read each and every thing that people post.

I wish there was a central method of making a financial contribution to people who provide presets and IRs for download. I know sometimes I have gotten a preset or IR via another party or a link embedded deep in a thread, then I don't get the chance to test it for a few days and by that time I have lost the link to the original creator and cannot thank them.

At least in my software I can embed my details in an 'About' screen or something, but I wish that preset and IR files could have some meta data along with them with more info on the creator and their paypal address etc.

Perhaps instead of .syx files, people can start bundling their collections in ZIP files along with a README file with extra details on usage, setups and contribution details?

Kriig, thanks for posting this.

Patches can take a long time to get perfect. Making an IR actually means that there is work with setting up things and making it.
Truth.

Please donate... or at least say thanks or hit like, so the contributers can see the someone actually care.
Speaking only for me, I'd prefer a comment. Things like:

"I used this on song X and it (worked|didn't work)"
"I tweaked it like X to get it to work in my setup which is using Y"

These kinds of comments are solid gold when you're making and contributing patches. Even if it's "I tried it and didn't like it because of X, Y and Z" that's still useful stuff to hear.

This is you're fault Chef :D anyway with all this talk of happy sharing I feel a warm glow but maybe it's just the Guinness ?

I'll prob get strung up for this, but someone needs to say it...

IMO its all a bunch of needless drama. If you want to share, simply do it without all the drama. Just because your upload was downloaded over 6 bazillion times does not entitle you anything.

If you want feedback then post a clip in the recordings section and don't share.

See my problem with all this is, asking for donations, or likes, or requiring feedback before you'll share, is not sharing, it's saying "I deserve recognition, and won't share until I receive it." Sharing is not required, neither is it expected, but the second you require something prior is the second you started selling, not sharing.

Back
Top Bottom