TMA's using a Two Notes Torpedo Live

steve_k

Inspired
Gonna set up to so some TMA's of some of my tube amps using the TNTL. Should be easy enough with the line level compensated output of the TNTL. But, does anyone have any experience or pointers?

Going to get me some true Mark IIC+ TMA's and some with my Fortin NATAS as well as some good Marshall TMA's using my Cameron Ocean.

Oh, and the new XL arrived yesterday......

Steve

Make sure you turn off the power amp modeling in the Two Notes.

Be sure to set the TMA Mode to Live.

....Going to get me some true Mark IIC+ TMA's and immediately share them with my good pal shredi knight.

Fixed. :)

But seriously, if you could share these (especially the IIc+), that would be great. It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the tone of the Mesa Mark series amps, so to be able to have a TM of an actual IIc+ would be amazing.

Last edited:
Fixed. :)But seriously, if you could share these (especially the IIc+), that would be great. It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of the tone of the Mesa Mark series amps, so to be able to have a TM of an actual IIc+ would be amazing.
LOL. It took me a minute before realizing why I couldn't find the quote that you included in your post. Kept reading back and forth but just got confused...

LOL. It took me a minute before realizing why I couldn't find the quote that you included in your post. Kept reading back and forth but just got confused...

You've got to read between the lines..........

.........of what I'm imagining in my head. :mrgreen

Will certainly share both of them.......

Thanks Steve!!!!

If I could make a suggestion (really more just me spitballing) regarding the Mesa's graphic eq/the Amp block's graphic eq, there's 3 ways you could set them for the amp-match that I think would work:

#1 - Set both the Mesa's and the Amp block's eq's flat while performing the amp match, then add your usual eq curve (I'm assuming you probably use some form of the Mesa "Classic V") to the Amp block's graphic eq afterwards, then save the preset.

#2 - Set both the Mesa's and the Amp Block's eq's to your usual curve.

#3 - Set the Amp block's eq flat and add your usual eq curve on the Mesa only.

I originally thought #1 would be the best way since you wouldn't have any eq settings "baked in" to the sound of the preset, giving the user complete control over the eq curve. Then it occurred to me that no matter how you set the eq in the amp block, it still has to run through the Tone-Match block that has the flat eq setting from the Mesa baked in. It seems like that would counteract the Amp block's eq, but I could be wrong.

#2 will work and has the added benefit of giving the user a visual representation in the Amp block of the curve that's baked into the Tone-Match block. The only possible downside to doing it this way is that it seems kind of redundant to me to have both eq's set to a curve, that it might not give you the best possible result. But again, I could be wrong. I believe this is the method fellow forumer Dimebucker used with his recent Mark IV amp-matches, and they came out sounding great.

With #3, the amp block stays flat and the Tone-Match block handles the eq curve. This just seems to me like it might be the best way and will give you the purest and most accurate result....but I could be wrong. :D

Anyway, if you are up for experimenting, I would try both 2 & 3 and see what gives the best and most accurate result (you might even try way #1 if you have the time). Maybe Cliff will chime in again and give a suggestion on the best way to go about setting the eq's.

P.S. Yes, I have way too much free time to think about stuff like this. :mrgreen

Last edited:
Those are very valid points on the GEQ of the actual amp. I can try it both ways and see what comes best.

While we are on the subject of the IIC+, here's a couple of things with their EQ and trying to achieve "that" tone. The frequency centers of 80/240/750/2200/6600 on the faceplate are not what James' amp actually used. And, even though the resulting output was the well known V, the amp was actually set up (at some point) with the upper and lower mids pushed, not scooped. An external PEQ (4 band) was then used to achieve the final tone of the amp. This PEQ was centered around 120/500/1200/4800. You can model this by ear by setting up a IIC+ amp in the Axe and setting the GEQ up as I said, then a PEQ between the amp and cab. Change the stock PEQ centers and adjust the gain. Set them to peaking instead of shelving. You can get so damn close to the real thing. It will probably end up better than any TMA that I can do. But, still intend on giving it a try.

Steve

Thanks Steve!!!!

If I could make a suggestion (really more just me spitballing) regarding the Mesa's graphic eq/the Amp block's graphic eq, there's 3 ways you could set them for the amp-match that I think would work:

#1 - Set both the Mesa's and the Amp block's eq's flat while performing the amp match, then add your usual eq curve (I'm assuming you probably use some form of the Mesa "Classic V") to the Amp block's graphic eq afterwards, then save the preset.

#2 - Set both the Mesa's and the Amp Block's eq's to your usual curve.

#3 - Set the Amp block's eq flat and add your usual eq curve on the Mesa only.

I originally thought #1 would be the best way since you wouldn't have any eq settings "baked in" to the sound of the preset, giving the user complete control over the eq curve. Then it occurred to me that no matter how you set the eq in the amp block, it still has to run through the Tone-Match block that has the flat eq setting from the Mesa baked in. It seems like that would counteract the Amp block's eq, but I could be wrong.

#2 will work and has the added benefit of giving the user a visual representation in the Amp block of the curve that's baked into the Tone-Match block. The only possible downside to doing it this way is that it seems kind of redundant to me to have both eq's set to a curve, that it might not give you the best possible result. But again, I could be wrong. I believe this is the method fellow forumer Dimebucker used with his recent Mark IV amp-matches, and they came out sounding great.

With #3, the amp block stays flat and the Tone-Match block handles the eq curve. This just seems to me like it might be the best way and will give you the purest and most accurate result....but I could be wrong. :D

Anyway, if you are up for experimenting, I would try both 2 & 3 and see what gives the best and most accurate result (you might even try way #1 if you have the time). Maybe Cliff will chime in again and give a suggestion on the best way to go about setting the eq's.

P.S. Yes, I have way too much free time to think about stuff like this. :mrgreen

While we are on the subject of the IIC+, here's a couple of things with their EQ and trying to achieve "that" tone. The frequency centers of 80/240/750/2200/6600 on the faceplate are not what James'....

James????

I thought when the IIc+ and "that" tone were the topic, we were talking about John. :mrgreen

Mesas Eq is placed between the preamp and poweramp, it affects the way the gain hits those power tubes so my suggestion is that you have to have it on a set for that TM.

Many years ago I saw some notes from the studio where James recorded and it showed some EQ settings, can't remember if they where from the amp or the board, this where in the Mesa Boogie forum.

Dont know if the Axe Fx amp graph EQ affects the power amp stage gain, I don't hear a gain boost as I hear on my Mesa amps.

Any progress on these Steve? Not that I'm inpatient or anything - No rush............

stock-illustration-23189623-pointing-at-watch-emoticon.jpg

5216-Kto-znaet-skoka-stoit-operatsiya-po-korrektsii.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom