Wish Titanium FC

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I’d love to see a titanium edition of the FC 12. In fact, I think it would be cool to have titanium editions of the FM series.

I’m not an engineer, designer or anything, so I have zero idea of what that would entail, but preserving the strength of the current units while cutting down weight significantly and boosting the sexy factor by 12 would be amazing.

I wonder how much more expensive this would make the unit?

And this is not a serious wish by the way. Just imagining!

I’d love to see a titanium edition of the FC 12. In fact, I think it would be cool to have titanium editions of the FM series.

I’m not an engineer, designer or anything, so I have zero idea of what that would entail, but preserving the strength of the current units while cutting down weight significantly and boosting the sexy factor by 12 would be amazing.

I wonder how much more expensive this would make the unit?

And this is not a serious wish by the way. Just imagining!
Titanium is definitely lighter, and stronger. That strength results in it being a lot harder to cut, bend, punch or drill, which means that the tools used to do those things wear out faster, and that cost gets passed on to whoever requested them and ultimately to us. I don't know how much more it'd cost to fabricate an FC12 chassis, but it'd definitely cost more. And, considering that the demand wouldn't be very high Fractal wouldn't be able to get much of a break on their price unless they bought a bunch based on speculation, and then they would have to store them somewhere….

Aircraft aluminum would probably work better. It's light, it's strong, and it's not nearly as expensive to buy or work with. And, if they used welding on the seams it would look industrial. They could even anodize or power-coat it for some colors. :)

I'd like to see something made with carbon fiber with a sprayed-in conductive paint inside the shell, or maybe something made on a big 3D printer so it looks more organic.

You can't forge titanium. Every piece has to be machined, one at a time. That FC chassis that they can stamp out of a thin sheet of steel — that would have to be milled from a solid block of titanium, resulting in more than 90% waste of an already-expensive material, in an operation that would take 100 times longer.

That said, a titanium FC would be cool, and I'd be right in line to buy one — right after I get that ruby-encrusted guitar cable. :p

You can't forge titanium. Every piece has to be machined, one at a time. That FC chassis that they can stamp out of a thin sheet of steel — that would have to be milled from a solid block of titanium, resulting in more than 90% waste of an already-expensive material, in an operation that would take 100 times longer.

That said, a titanium FC would be cool, and I'd be right in line to buy one — right after I get that ruby-encrusted guitar cable. :p
Not really. There are manufacturing processes for that besides milling.

But I was not trying to be practical or talking about economy.

The Titanium FC would need synthetic sapphire screens and LED lenses, powered by a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator like the Voyager probes.

Back
Top Bottom