Tired of this bass flubbyness...

it just sounds like something is up downstream of the unit. if you're having to keep your level right down, then there's too much gain later in the chain. for example, a common problem that happens to people, is they plug the xlr outs into their audio interface and don't realise that the xlr inputs are set to mic level, not line level and wonder why it sounds terrible

Well the examples I recorded were done by having my Axe connected to my iMac via a USB cable and nothing else. So there isn't exactly anything in the middle of the equation, like some sort of audio interface. Also I get the same feeling about my tone if I am running it to my powered monitor, or with home I'm running it right this second, into the power section of my solid state Fender 2x12 combo amp. All different scenarios with similar outcome.

Okay so using B:ASSMASTER's patch did help me. Overall it is better but I still sense more woof that I believe their should be. So to use a different example, I tried to keep it simple and used the "Plexi LM" patch from the recent Larry Mitchell preset/cab pack from the Fractal YouTube video. In that specific patch Larry dimed the bass (obviously too much given my situation) and I put it down to 2 and made this recording. My thoughts are that even though he has the bass dimed, on a Plexi no less, it still sounds good. I'm sure if he used the neck pickup it might be too much but never the less it doesn't sound like it has to much fartyness, just an overly bassy tone. But mine, IMO, is more than noticeable, especially on the neck pickup of my PRS I'm using here. Again, turned the whole way down to 0.

That's a pretty decent tone IMO. I always struggle with that flubiness, and I consider it undesirable, and I end up using the Fas Crunch instead of the Plexis. HOWEVER, in a band situation, I don't even notice the flubiness, and the Plexis end up sounding more authentic.

Don't think much about it, the tone is pretty good I think.

I appreciate the comment. I understand what you're saying and overall its not like I'm just complaining about how bad the Axe is because of this flubiness blah blah blah...There are plenty of tones I use all the time are amazing and I honestly love it even more using the new beta. But I usually get discouraged when I see a video of someone just plugging straight into an amp and getting an awesome tone, then wanting to go for that tone and thinking "Well I can just do the same thing right?" and then coming to find out I pretty much have to take a ton of bass out just to get a more desirable tone. Its what has made me think somethings up. Also especially when I see the video with Larry Mitchell and him cranking the bass the whole way up, whereas I feel like I have no change of doing that because I just end up with flub city haha.

The guitar has a huge role in your tone. Try other types of guitars with other types of pickups (sorry If you already did, didn't read the whole thread)

Back
Top Bottom