Tired of this bass flubbyness...

Something downstream has much more gain than you need/is way too sensitive. With USB, the output knob has no effect on level.
What do you suggest starting with trying? Or would a complete reset of the Axe Fx possibly help? I've never done that in the few years I've owned it now.

Just FYI, if you press the Utility button on the front panel a page over to the horizontal VU meters, you can see the actual output level values in percent for both Output 1 and 2.

Just FYI, if you press the Utility button on the front panel a page over to the horizontal VU meters, you can see the actual output level values in percent for both Output 1 and 2.
Ahh gotcha, well then its currently at 2%. So not very high haha

That's pretty low! would think it needs to be more than that, therefore taking that low signal and gaining it up down the stream may be part of the issue. Have you tried raising to 9:00 to12:00 and lowering gain down stream?

This is pretty common in my patches but as an example in this case, everything I'm going off of is from the patch I downloaded. But it seems quite common for the output level on a lot of patches I seem to try to be high so I just compensate by keeping my level knob down. In any case, I just tried lowering the level in my amp block and putting the output knob around 10 and it doesn't change anything tone wise. I also rolled the amp level back up and then lowered the main output volume for the patch and got the same results.

But overall what has helped the most so far was trying the bass cut switch, low cut in the preamp page, lowering bass in the drive block, and low cut in the cab block.

It seems weird to me that all that is necessary just to get a usable tone. Even if i take that patch and reset the amp block, put the parameters back to where they were, its nothing close to that video.

In addition to that, its great that all those low cut type things helped out but I don't feel like its normal? This whole having too much bass thing seems like a re-occuring issue for me. For instance if I take this preset I'm working with now, keep the same IR, choose the Two Stone J35 1, reset the amp block, and its a woofy mess. I don't get it.

On an additional note, if anyone has a preset that you're very familiar with and would like to share, or point me in the direction of, I'd be happy to load it up and record how it is right off the bat on my end.

What do you suggest starting with trying? Or would a complete reset of the Axe Fx possibly help? I've never done that in the few years I've owned it now.
What's your signal chain after the Axe?

I downloaded the preset and fired it up on my Mk I. Plugged in a Peavey T-60 (sort of a hillbilly Tele).

On the split bridge pickup, it sounded good. There was a bit more low-end than 'd like -- not surprising, given that Bass is dialed high -- but none of the flub in your clips. It got a little flubby on the neck pup, but Cut cured most of that. Also flubbed a bit with humbuckers. Anyway, that indicates that's something else going on with your gear.

Last edited:
What's your signal chain after the Axe?

Either USB straight to back of the computer or 1/4" out to either a monitor or currently into the power section of my fender amp. All sound slightly different because they are different (duh) but still have the same characteristics. Another thing to reiterate is that not every amp and preset I use is a woofy mess, but more than a few are. I'm fine with doing some tweaking but especially when I see a video of someone using an axe and their description of the tone is just "oh it's just model X with some tweaks and drive set to taste" then it's a bit discouraging when I go to do that and it doesn't even sound like I'm in the same world. And again, tweaking is fine with me, but one of the features about this unit is the fact that you can just pull something up and go at it with out having to mess with all these advanced parameters.

Lowering amp block master and raising output is still sending a very low signal. I agree with Rex , you have way too much gain somewhere downstream of the Ax fx!

Lowering amp block master and raising output is still sending a very low signal. I agree with Rex , you have way too much gain somewhere downstream of the Ax fx!

Anyway, that indicates that's something else going on with your gear.

Ideas on what I should check? This is going on with multiple outputs and multiple cables. So I'm not sure how to isolate the problem in that regard, since its so similar across different monitoring options. Even the headphone jack. Are you thinking hardware related within the Axe itself, or something funky going on with the software?

Alsooo if anyone would like to load up that patch and record something with some similar guitars for comparisons sake, it’d be great to see if they’re getting the same results right off the bat.
I loaded up the patch and went to scene 3. It's definitely bassy and farting out with my PRS Custom 22.

I made a lot of changes and came up with a great sounding preset. Just use scene 1 and see how it sounds on your end. I'll attach the new preset.

If you roll back the volume to 7 and use the neck humbucker, you can get a nice jazz fusion lead tone. Or put it on the bridge humbucker and turn your volume and tone knobs to 10 and rock out!

Attachments

• BASSMASTER 5F8 Tweed.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for that! I do notice a difference right away. Definitely not farty like before. I was trying to see what all changed about it and a big thing is not just changing the drive to the 3-knob but mainly turning the level down. When I turn that back up, instant woof. Now am I wrong in thinking that to set a clean boost type drive in the axe I should set it like I would in real life with my tube screamer? Drive almost down and level all the way up? Or does the level in the Axe not react the same as it would the actual pedal? Maybe thats a lot of my issue when using a TS type boost.

That still doesn't explain why simple choosing the Two Stone amp sounds super bassy right of the bat, but I'm getting somewhere!

Now am I wrong in thinking that to set a clean boost type drive in the axe I should set it like I would in real life with my tube screamer? Drive almost down and level all the way up?
Works just like in the physical realm. However, I wouldn't do that in front of that amp. That 5F8 is bass-heavy. Normally where I use a TS808 like that, is to tighten up a high gain amp. Works perfectly for that.

Ideas on what I should check? This is going on with multiple outputs and multiple cables. So I'm not sure how to isolate the problem in that regard, since its so similar across different monitoring options. Even the headphone jack. Are you thinking hardware related within the Axe itself, or something funky going on with the software?
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit. I was going off of your statement that you need to keep the output knob set to almost zero in order to control your tone. But when you're running digital output, that knob has no effect, so it doesn't matter what it's set to. So we're back to either too much bass going into the amp, or too much bass dialed into the preset.

To isolate the problem, we need to start by being consistent. Your complaint was too much bass flub, even with Bass dialed way down. But you gave us a preset where the Bass was cranked up to 6. Instead, post a preset that has the problem as originally stated: flubby bass with the bass turned down.

Your complaint was too much bass flub, even with Bass dialed way down. But you gave us a preset where the Bass was cranked up to 6. Instead, post a preset that has the problem as originally stated: flubby bass with the bass turned down.

If you go back to my original post the paragraph before the SoundCloud clip explains the differences in each part of the clip. So I do adjust the bass in the preset.

If you go back to my original post the paragraph before the SoundCloud clip explains the differences in each part of the clip. So I do adjust the bass in the preset.
Got it. Still, it would be good to see a preset that's giving you the flubs without being dialed up to be bass-heavy. Maybe that's no longer necessary, given your apparent success with @B:ASSMASTER 's preset.

there's still something funky going on with levels though. you need to get that sorted out
Can you expand on that? I'm not sure what to adjust or change properly. I understand I have the level knob on the outside set very low, but does turning the output of the preset down and then turning the knob actually make a difference. I always thought an adjustment of any level wasn't anything that would affect tone, just merely the volume of whatever that level is for. Or do they have their own different affects on the outputs of the unit?

Back
Top Bottom