Tired of band discussions about my git sound

I tend to agree, but I had a thought the other day that may possibly help explain why some people insist they can perceive extremely low latency levels...

You know how it's impossible to hear a complex piece of music one time, then sit down at the piano and play it perfectly? Yet some people can do just that. It's one of the ways autism plays a role into what they can and cannot do, and the things they are able to do are nothing short of astounding. Yet for the vast majority of us, it's impossible. But it proves that the human brain can have some amazing capabilities.

So, what if the ones claiming they can detect those low latency levels just happen to have something going on in their brains that truly, for them, makes it possible?

For sure! :)

We all definitely perceive the world in unique ways. Some people have sensations of smell and taste when
shown various colours. How wild is that? Different key signatures elicit different emotions. We don't like
music just because it sounds good, but because it makes us feel different emotions through our ears. Wow! :)

To just sweep the ways in which we perceive (via any of our senses) all under the rug and dismiss it all---simply
because we don't perceive it ourselves---seems both short-sighted and disingenuous. There is so much we still
don't know about the brain, and the human body/mind as an whole, to draw lasting conclusions in some kind
of absolute way.

Edit: Sensitivity seems like a spectrum. Just think of how someone without any musical appreciation perceives
music in a different way from Yo Yo Ma. :)

Sensitivity seems like a spectrum.
I agree! I've said it a lot, that I think everything about us is on some type of spectrum. I am so glad that my music appreciation level is high up on mine. I can hear certain chord changes that really amaze me in ways I can't explain, yet fall on deaf ears to others. But then again, I have no interest in throwing a hook on the end of a line into water. And waiting. ;)

I can only imagine what someone like Miles Davis heard and why he was so pissed off and angry
that so few people could relate to him. :)

Rather than extraordinary "ability" I would say extraordinary "perception", which in most cases can be a nuisance, like the person with extraordinary sensitivity for pollen. A person with pollen allergy has difficulties to enjoy open nature, and a person with latency allergy has difficulty to enjoy modelers, whether if that is psychological, biased, an amplifier manufacturer/sponsor, or real.

The example of the piano player is different. That is a case of photographic memory.

Last edited:
I think most musicians can perceive minute amounts on latency on some level be it conscious or not. Otherwise how would we be be able to play in time with each other at all? Your brain is always compensating for it when you play, but I think some people get thrown off more when the latency is 'weird' or uncharacteristic for the particular situation that they've learned to adapt to previously.

-Aaron

Last edited:
I was referring to the lag in performance of response in the FM3. The lag from hitting a foot switch to the time it takes for the unit to respond. Not the the latency one might feel playing guitar into it. I can understand how that might be misconstrued. I guess I should have used a different term.

I was referring to the lag in performance of response in the FM3. The lag from hitting a foot switch to the time it takes for the unit to respond. Not the the latency one might feel playing guitar into it. I can understand how that might be misconstrued. I guess I should have used a different term.

When a footswitch on the FM3 has a HOLD function assigned, the switch's TAP function will activate only after releasing the switch. That gives the impression of lagging / latency. The FM3 manual explains how to change this behavor and make the unit respond faster.

Remove hold functions.
Without hold functions and with scene controllers, there is ZERO lag.

Hi all,

I am using modellers since years - from Pod II, X3 to AX8 and now FM3. I am playing in a classic rock cover band, very old school and so the band members are (less me ;-) ). Yesterday we had again discussion, bandmates complain that my sound is not "cool", has no "punch" and is even too thin to start songs like "Highway to hell". To be honest I am tired of that kind of discussion and I am wondering if they are right or just deaf. Btw. my sound is always compared to the one from our other guitarist playing an Engl 120W Head with 2x12 Engl cabinet. I play through a Dynacord AXM12A and through PA Yamaha DXR Stuff 2x15" + 2x12" and a Behringer XR18 console.

I attached the preset that I am currently using, would be great to get some opinions here. AC/DC for example I play with Scene 2 plus overdrive activated.

Thanks so much in advance !
Maybe offer to sit with your critical band mates and tweak/compare tones.

I really appreciated the educated ears of my band mates and gained valuable insights at times.

If dudes are just hatin' get a new gig.

When I first got the Fractal, I put it in a room next to a Brand New Fender Bassbreaker.... the Fractal through a Bose L1 system or whatever, turned by back to them and played. There was "no difference" at all in this case. This is what really showed me "what" the Fractal was. Immediately, I could not tell the differences, and the nuances I loved were in both. Indistinguishable.

With the recent FRFR like the Headrush 108, it definitely has a "sound" that kind of sounds like paper...

I think the ISP+ box and a cab was the same, but perhaps I didnt break in the ISP box... I only played it once.
Love the L1, fills the room without tearing your head off!

Maybe offer to sit with your critical band mates and tweak/compare tones.

I really appreciated the educated ears of my band mates and gained valuable insights at times.

If dudes are just hatin' get a new gig.
Thats a good idea ! I hope my bandmates are patient enough and not too stubborn ;-)

OP, I had the same issue for years. We don’t mic during rehearsals or many of our shows (very small gigs) and I was getting buried by real amps. Deep tweaks to the Fractal didn’t solve this for me… I really tried. I had all the top FRFR amplification and power amp/cab options. Playing through the rerun of an amp was the best option, but then I wondered what was the point of also bringing an amp to amplify my modeler. LOL.

I finally came to the conclusion that for my personal situation a small tube amp head (Mesa TA-15) into a real cab gave me just what I wanted with almost no tweaking. Clearly, to each his/her own.

The Fractal is an epic product and if I could convince my band to go silent stage or if we had more mic’d situations then it would be a no brainer. The weak link is not the Fractal, it’s how it is amplified. I have A/B’d extensively through the same cab (using Radial Tone Bone) and any Fractal + power amp + real cab option just didn’t “feel”as good to me personally (including the Fryette PS2). Others may have had different experiences.

Side note, I got to see Def Leppard recently and their guitars sounded SO great in the mix. Truly amazing. I reminded my bandmate that they have no amps whatsoever!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi Yesterday we had again discussion, bandmates complain that my sound is not "cool", has no "punch" and is even too thin to start songs like "Highway to hell". To be honest I am tired of that kind of discussion and I am wondering if they are right or just deaf.
Tell those dweebs to talk less and play more or say goodbye. Your time in this world is too short to waste on these people.

Back
Top Bottom