Tired of band discussions about my git sound

Sii, I've had this happen, So a spent a few hrs with the whiner, Ok, fresh preset, nothing added, just direct guitar sound. no cab etc. He's like, thats it, perfect! Yess really! So I suggested he pullout some guitar sounds from music he likes, then deduct from there, haven't heard back.
I am reminded though, the cutoff for low frequency's often needs to be there to let the inadequate Bass (100 watt Fender Rumble) to cut through. I would like a nice powered Sub, so I can add the bass to the PA sound. Currently with EV ZLx 12's bass is muck in the small PA

Well, to keep things in perspective:

if I found out that a band member was complaining about other band members on an online forum, I would kick him / her out of the band without further ado. ;-)
I am not complaining about my bandmates, the opposite, we are good friends since years and I would never want to leave the band.

I am desperate that I am not able to get the sound they expect from a rock guitar with my FM3 nor through PA live, nor PA at rehearsal, nor through my monitor.

But thabks to the forum I have now some ideas more to test before going to buy a ext PA and Cab or even a tube amp ;-)

I am not complaining about my bandmates, the opposite, we are good friends since years and I would never want to leave the band.

I am desperate that I am not able to get the sound they expect from a rock guitar with my FM3 nor through PA live, nor PA at rehearsal, nor through my monitor.

But thabks to the forum I have now some ideas more to test before going to buy a ext PA and Cab or even a tube amp ;-)

Don't listen to those folks. :) I got oddly similar "rotten" advice when I posted a similar thread here a year
or so ago. Apparently, some of these "warriors" know so much about the actual relationships of the
band members involved that they feel empowered to go out on a Internet limb.... a limb that is not even theirs
to saw off in the first place. :)

Good luck. There is some good advice here, just not the band relationship advice.

if I found out that a band member was complaining about other band members on an online forum, I would kick him / her out of the band without further ado. ;-)

The worse comment I've seen him make is calling his mates 'stubborn'. Most of this discussion is centered on tone and amp/cab.

Anonymous discussion on a forum is benign. Ive seen whining. This ain't it.

The worse comment I've seen him make is calling his mates 'stubborn'. Most of this discussion is centered on tone and amp/cab.

Anonymous discussion on a forum is benign. Ive seen whining. This ain't it.

My comment was not aimed specifically at the OP, but more in general. I could have made that more clear.

When I first got the Fractal, I put it in a room next to a Brand New Fender Bassbreaker.... the Fractal through a Bose L1 system or whatever, turned by back to them and played. There was "no difference" at all in this case.
I've had great experiences with the L1 too... though I was using primarily clean to very mild breakup tones (Scofield type tunes). Haven't tried it with really gained up sounds. I don't own an L1... I just rent when I need something like that. It's nice getting the right tool for the gig.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I've had great experiences with the L1 too... though I was using primarily clean to very mild breakup tones (Scofield type tunes). Haven't tried it with really gained up sounds. I don't own an L1... I just rent when I need something like that. It's nice getting the right tool for the gig.

Sean Meredith-Jones
I bought it for my SO, they use it twice a week get a lot of compliments. I borrow it when I need a "pa" sound which is rare, I borrowed it just to test the Fractal vs the Brand New Bassbreaker 12in, sent the bassbreaker back caught I couldnt afford both a fractal and a new amp at the same time...

Oh c'mon dude. I don't see it that way. I think he's just reaching out for some tips from guys who know the Fractal products.

My comment was not aimed specifically at the OP, but more in general. I could have made that more clear.

Thanks for clarification! And also from my side, I really dont want to offend nobody here nor my bandmates ! So, now back to the topic ;-)

I prepared already some amp+cab presets without effects, just combining some amps with cabs concidering the mentioned tweaks here, even some of them are on the perform page :)

With these presets I want to meet my bandmates at rehearsal and to do a kind of comparison between FM3 and tube amp. Tweaking the presets till we get something that fits. Also I will record everything with a room mic to compare the recorded "FOH" sound of both.

I think we all have to remember, when we have a problem that involves a band-mate, and decide to post about it on a music forum, we don't tend to give all the background regarding that relationship, but instead, just what seems like the pertinent info of the current issue.

Like I've had trouble in the past with a certain great friend of mine, that I met when I was 15. That's 43 years ago! He's done many things for me that I wouldn't necessarily bring up, so if I posted about some of the issues we've had in a band, people understandably wouldn't have the entire picture. So if someone gave me advice that just didn't fit, I'd probably just say something like, "No, it's not that bad. There's more to our relationship." But I'm still not going to write a novelette of background info in my OP, and bore everyone. ;)

I think most everyone here just wants to be helpful, even if some comments seem harsh. The "forum" manner of discussing these sorts of things is far from ideal, and nothing like an in-person conversation.

Steve Vai likes Fractal....

Yes I saw that recently too. He favors it for fx for the most part... not so much for the amp sounds. I feel what he's arrived on is a compromise with those synergy modules. When it comes to an artist like that, I don't think he needs a lot of sounds... just his sounds. Although, I see he has included a bassman module into the fold. I still thought it odd that because Carvin folded he stopped using his Legacy heads. Perhaps because if something went wrong on tour, they would be hard to replace? Not like Fractal hasn't modelled the Legacy head, but I guess he feels more comfortable using the modules w/power amps and cabs.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Thanks for clarification! And also from my side, I really dont want to offend nobody here nor my bandmates ! So, now back to the topic ;-)

I prepared already some amp+cab presets without effects, just combining some amps with cabs concidering the mentioned tweaks here, even some of them are on the perform page :)

With these presets I want to meet my bandmates at rehearsal and to do a kind of comparison between FM3 and tube amp. Tweaking the presets till we get something that fits. Also I will record everything with a room mic to compare the recorded "FOH" sound of both.

Also, maybe keep in mind that you want a sound that is complimentary to your bandmates Engl, not exactly like it.
And room micing is a GREAT idea. Tape never lies and maybe you will all be surprised. Perhpas none more so than your
bandmates. :)

Good luck!

Now I'm late to the party.

However 2 things.

Do you like the AXM12 for the job? I find it to be a rather midrangey one, so in the long run you'll have to fight on and on to get it to sound hughe?

Biggest trap when dialing-in sounds is to make the sound crystal clear and present already at low volumes. So in the mix such a sound will not need much volume to shine through and it easily gets audible in the foreground. Which means in return it has no power there and it seems thin and weak. But since it's already sitting right in the foreground you won't turn it even louder to add some punch.
To fix that lower highs and presence and increase volume in return. You will notice that the highs in your sound stay in the same place in the mix, while your signal is getting fatter over the whole range. That's better than adding lows and so on, since it affects the whole range. It's the same advise that yek gave when he told you to lower the low cut down to 5,5k. It don't matters where and how you do it, but it works. And it's a trap, since your intuition would tell you to add highs, when it's a bit dull, but adding these last highs, that's wrong. If it's dull some, turn the volume up some. Your bandmate's 2x12 is also a bit dull at low volumes, it's normal that way.

Yesterday we had another rehearsal. I applied some changes to my preset - proximity increased, HiCut lowered and we did a "soundcheck" both guitars playing together and one after the other, I recorded everything with a room mic. Today at home I listened back the recording and I am totally happy with the result soundwise! My tone sounds great to me - what I realized is that the other guitar is way louder in the recording, in my InEar mix wasnt because different mix ;-) Also I used a 3db boost for songs that I play an intro or if there is just one guitar in the song - feedback from my colleagues confirmed that now is better.

For me this chapter is closed now - I like very much what I hear from FOH and it seems that volume was the secret incredient that my bandmates missed more than anything else.

But nevertheless, I learned a lot thanks to you guys and thanks for sharing your expierence !

@Jens973 I'm glad you were able to get it worked out. So the only changes you made were to proximity, low pass, and adding a boost for solo parts? Those are some pretty minor adjustments. There is just no substitute for dB's.

I know Ill get "jumped on" or ignored for this, but I do think its a failing of Fractal to not provide an END ALL solution. I am currently returning the Headrush 108's, and the ISP box (it suddenly developed a "tremelo sound "on its second use). I will not be going CLR or spending any obscene amounts of money. Fractal can produce software, hardware, DI, volume expression pedals, sattelite tap/scribble strip pedals--- Yet so many people searchig for a "tone" I wish you could just purchase the "Fradtal cabinet" and/or "Fractal power amp box." Again I know I will be told im wrong, but I am also exhausted trying to find workarounds. OPs problem here would be solved by him buying a tube amp. Case closed.

I go and head band play live with a tube amp which is incredible, but then I go home and my Fractal sounds even better. But I cant get it to the venue and sound the same or deal with all this sh-t of "amp in the room" and venues have different quality PA's etc.

Unfortunately the solution is to buy a tube amp.

The End.

Or for Fractal to make the End All solution from A-B.

I will not be purchasing another "FRFR" to "test out," I dont have time for it. Years ago I purchaed some Fender Tube amps and they just worked and they sounded incredible. Nothing more to say. Even the head of Fractal has more tubes than anyone here... so... what does that say.

They havent taken the plunge either.

Not eveyone has the pocketbook for this.

Just make a cab solution FROM FRACTAL please.

Or... gosh... an FRFR that ALSO can be swtiched to cab capabilities if the person so desires.

For some, they plug in and it works and thats great. For some, like myself... I just did a test last weekend, FRFR, then Power amd and cab, then finally a real tube amp.

It was like testing some firecrackers then an atomic bomb.

The solution is for Fractal to PROVIDE the solution.

Youve done the HARD PART, now to the easy part- put a speakr in a mdf or plywood cabinet and slap the Fractal name on it.

Back
Top Bottom