Tired of Axe-Edit problems

Will Axe-Edit ever not be buggy?
Every iteration of Axe-Edit has issues with connecting, right now I'm using Windows 10 and periodically Axe-Edit stops recognizing my Axe-FX II for no reason and I have to restart the entire computer to get it working.
This has been like, at least for me, this since the Ultra and Axe-Edit regardless of PC or Mac.

Last edited:
Might be a problem with the operating system. I never ever had any connection issues, maybe because I use Linux and run Axe-Edit through wine (a software which allows me to run Windows applications on Linux). I'm not trying to say that Linux is better than other operating systems, all I'm saying is that Axe-Edit doesn't necessarily have to be the culprit here. The fact that a restart seems to fix it is another indicator that it's not caused by Axe-Edit. Another possibility is that the driver isn't stable. You Windows and OSX guys have to install a driver for the Axe-FX to work, right?

In the last few years I have never had that happen to me, not even once. I suspect you might have another sort of problem, maybe your USB cable? Have you tried using a different one? Give that a shot.

Maybe try introduce yourself a little better on your first post and you will get more people willing to help too.

I have had a long time association with FAS (9?) yrs now.. and have been closely involved with many earlier releases of AE, and never had this issue on XP, XP64, Win7x32, Win7x64 and win10x64.
My first question would be:
What other MIDI interfaces or apps are you running on your Wintel box?

Might be a problem with the operating system. I never ever had any connection issues, maybe because I use Linux and run Axe-Edit through wine (a software which allows me to run Windows applications on Linux). I'm not trying to say that Linux is better than other operating systems, all I'm saying is that Axe-Edit doesn't necessarily have to be the culprit here. The fact that a restart seems to fix it is another indicator that it's not caused by Axe-Edit. Another possibility is that the driver isn't stable. You Windows and OSX guys have to install a driver for the Axe-FX to work, right?

It's been a historical issue I've experienced across different operating systems both Mac and PC. Yes, a driver must be installed in order for the unit to be recognized.
I've tried new usb cables, re-installing the drivers and axe-edit, etc. Not sure what I'm doing wrong if others are not experiencing this but it's something I've associated with Axe-Edit ever since the Ultra days.

Maybe try introduce yourself a little better on your first post and you will get more people willing to help too.

I'm disregarding this extraneous comment.

I have had a long time association with FAS (9?) yrs now.. and have been closely involved with many earlier releases of AE, and never had this issue on XP, XP64, Win7x32, Win7x64 and win10x64.
My first question would be:
What other MIDI interfaces or apps are you running on your Wintel box?

As far as I know I have no apps other than what normally comes with Windows 10, I don't use this PC for much else.
I do not use MIDI interfaces on this computer either.
I've been using FAS products for a similar length of time and it's been such a characteristic issue that I've stopped using Axe-Edit (only to eventually come back since dialing in changes from the unit is laborious).

Reactions: NHD
I know some folks have had this issue.. and I have never been able to pin it down to one common factor.
The only common item that I have found is that prior to win10, people having this issue were connected via USB 3 ports using proprietary vendor drivers. AE is USB 2.0 compliant and I have never had an issue with any of my machines - and I can assure you I have installed many, many, many more versions of AE than most!
Can you confirm whether you are using a USB 2 or v3 port on Win10?

I know some folks have had this issue.. and I have never been able to pin it down to one common factor.
The only common item that I have found is that prior to win10, people having this issue were connected via USB 3 ports using proprietary vendor drivers. AE is USB 2.0 compliant and I have never had an issue with any of my machines - and I can assure you I have installed many, many, many more versions of AE than most!
Can you confirm whether you are using a USB 2 or v3 port on Win10?

Hmm, that's an interesting point. I'm actually not sure whether my ports are USB 2 or 3. I believe my comp has both but they're not distinguishable. Is it the sort of thing where it MAY work with USB 3? (as Axe-Edit does work after a re-start)

Hmm, that's an interesting point. I'm actually not sure whether my ports are USB 2 or 3. I believe my comp has both but they're not distinguishable. Is it the sort of thing where it MAY work with USB 3? (as Axe-Edit does work after a re-start)
Yes.. Under Win7 there were no generic USB 3 drivers from MS and it was often hit-or-miss! Under Win10 there are generic drivers. Most newer mobo's come with BOTH USB 2 and 3 ports.
In the "Device Manager" window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.
  • If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
  • If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
  • If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.
The tab inside a USB 3 port should be colored BLUE, and USB 2.0 BLACK !

http://www.euask.com/topic/3768-How-to-tell-USB-20-from-USB-30-ports

I've noticed that the FAS USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel is installed as a startup program when I install the driver. There have been times when I've removed the program from the startup list (not thinking it needed to be there at startup but only when I called up Axe Edit) and found that although Axe Edit will initially connect to the Axe, it frequently loses it's connection or tells me that it can't read the current revision. When I reinstate the FAS USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel as a start up program, there is much less difficulty if any. May not be a universal fix, but it helped me.

I know this is of no help to you in resolving your current issue, but never any connection problems with AxeEdit, on my end; been using it since it came out, with 2 or 3 different AxeFx's.
I was having some MFC connect issues for a bit that were traced back to cables, FWIW.

Yes.. Under Win7 there were no generic USB 3 drivers from MS and it was often hit-or-miss! Under Win10 there are generic drivers. Most newer mobo's come with BOTH USB 2 and 3 ports.
In the "Device Manager" window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.
  • If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
  • If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
  • If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.
The tab inside a USB 3 port should be colored BLUE, and USB 2.0 BLACK !

Thanks for this info, I will check this when I get home and see if I have any better results.

I've noticed that the FAS USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel is installed as a startup program when I install the driver. There have been times when I've removed the program from the startup list (not thinking it needed to be there at startup but only when I called up Axe Edit) and found that although Axe Edit will initially connect to the Axe, it frequently loses it's connection or tells me that it can't read the current revision. When I reinstate the FAS USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel as a start up program, there is much less difficulty if any. May not be a universal fix, but it helped me.

I tried re-installing the USB ACDCP but I haven't looked into whether it's a part of the start-up protocol. I'm open to checking all things out.

I know this is of no help to you in resolving your current issue, but never any connection problems with AxeEdit, on my end; been using it since it came out, with 2 or 3 different AxeFx's.
I was having some MFC connect issues for a bit that were traced back to cables, FWIW.

I'm assuming at this point it must be some sort of user-error on my part since most others seem to not have my experiences. It's just strange that I've seemingly had this issue across different platforms and versions of the Axe-Fx.

As far as platforms, all mine have been various pc/windows that have been current at the time - probably most W7 & W10, maybe some XP in there.

Mostly on my desktop, but I've also used a couple different laptops - no problems with any of them.

I tried re-installing the USB ACDCP but I haven't looked into whether it's a part of the start-up protocol. I'm open to checking all things out.
It needs to be.. by default, it should show in the win systray (bottom right of the task bar), but not sure how that works on a Mac.
I'm assuming at this point it must be some sort of user-error on my part since most others seem to not have my experiences. It's just strange that I've seemingly had this issue across different platforms and versions of the Axe-Fx.
Maybe, maybe not. It might be startup sequence or some other issue. I KNOW on windows that it doesn't matter how/where you use MIDI (USB or NOT) that there is only ONE hook at the system level to it. Whoever grabs it first, gets it!
On windows you can confirm this by installing any midi filer utility (Elekton C6, MIDI-OX or SendSX). Start up the midi utility and watch any conflicts get listed. If none, it will start. Shut it down, start AE, then start the MIDI utility again... See the conflict messages.

On my 2015 MBP I can plug in the USB anytime and turn the AxeFX on or have it on already unplug the USB, replug it in. There's never any connectivity problem. AxeFX just seems to run no matter how I sequence it.

It needs to be.. by default, it should show in the win systray (bottom right of the task bar), but not sure how that works on a Mac.
Maybe, maybe not. It might be startup sequence or some other issue. I KNOW on windows that it doesn't matter how/where you use MIDI (USB or NOT) that there is only ONE hook at the system level to it. Whoever grabs it first, gets it!
On windows you can confirm this by installing any midi filer utility (Elekton C6, MIDI-OX or SendSX). Start up the midi utility and watch any conflicts get listed. If none, it will start. Shut it down, start AE, then start the MIDI utility again... See the conflict messages.

Well I checked and it IS part of the start-up protocol. I also checked and it's connected to USB2 with a working USB cable. The FASUSBAudio Control Panel shows the Axe-FX is connected and I can run all the computer sound through the Axe-FX so clearly that's not the issue.
HOWEVER Axe-Edit no longer connects at ALL despite re-installing it and the drivers several times as well as re-booting the computer numerous times.

I do not believe there are any Midi/Usb conflicts simply because I have nothing else hooked up to the computer other than my keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end with Axe-edit but thanks for the help regardless, it's appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom