Tips to thicken the tone in one guitar bands

FarleyUK

Inspired
Hi guys,

So I'm running dual DXR10'S with one of my bands where I'm the only guitarist. I'm looking for ways to thicken up the sound - I tried adjusting the delay in one of the cabs (I'm running stereo cabs) but all it did was make the stereo effect narrower.

Anyone have advise or tips on what I can do to make the guitar sound bigger and fuller, especially in solos?

Mix in a little small-room Reverb. Dial it back, and it won’t sound like reverb. It’ll just sound fatter.

For fatter leads, add a pitch shifter with two voices detuned by plus/minus a few cents.

What gauge strings are you using? I remember the difference when I went from 10s to 11s gave my tone a much thicker girth!

Before the amp, use both filters, peak gain tied to pitch controller, one to boost the higher pitched notes around 320hz, one to scoop them around 2500hz. Or one centered tilt Eq, same principle. To fatten the top end of an IR, use post cab drive (from delays, chorus..) Then early reverb (stereo width is the stereo enhancer) or digital delay, time 1ms diff time 10% (right post delay as stereo enhancer). At the end of the chain, studio comp, ratio 2.1.

You don't say what style you're playing but I find reducing the gain a little takes off some compression and thickens the sound up when I'm playing live.

Speaker resonance settings, reduce/increase the high/low resonance, and adjust the freq. to match the emulated cabinet speakers.

As for a "dual tracking" simulation, try splitting the signal right before the output, pan the channels, and put a PEQ in to darken/fatten one side after the split.

You can also add other FX to one channel, to get true stereo FX splits.

The output mixer is your best friend when trying to get separation.

Last edited:
Before the amp, use both filters, peak gain tied to pitch controller, one to boost the higher pitched notes around 320hz, one to scoop them around 2500hz. Or one centered tilt Eq, same principle. To fatten the top end of an IR, use post cab drive (from delays, chorus..) Then early reverb (stereo width is the stereo enhancer) or digital delay, time 1ms diff time 10% (right post delay as stereo enhancer). At the end of the chain, studio comp, ratio 2.1.

Wow. I understand some of that. :)

TC Mimiq works pretty well for a double track type of effect. Worked better on my Axe II since I could run each output to a different amp model, and two differently voiced amps, with slightly different timing, attack, pitch etc can sound pretty massive..... used too much and it sounds bad, but at minimal settings it worked like it said on the box...

Still could be worth a try with the AX8, though you'd want to put it in the loop after the mono amp block, and then run the dry and wet outputs into a stereo cab, panned hard L and R, improving on the effect of simply running the enhancer or any other chorus or short delay.

Doesn't work magic, but it does work reasonably well for leads and riffs. Won't replace a second guitarist or true laying or takes in the studio, but for like $100 its not bad

Back
Top Bottom