Tips to get Pitch block to NOT sound like a Ring Modulator

elchampion

Inspired
Hi guys,

This weekend I was messing with the Pitch block and added a control switch to raise the pitch an octave up and down. It performed that function great but when playing notes at the higher octave it would sound like a ring modulator. Don't remember this happening before. Maybe there's a setting I'm missing to get it to work right. My patch has the Pitch block before the amp block in series to the output. Thanks guys!

I think it sounds better at the beginning of the chain for certain applications, like drop tuning. After the amp for harmonizer effects.

Reactions: JTI
Well whenever I do that scene with it I feel like it doesn't sound good or lose volume or something happens. More than welcome to try it for yourself and give me your opinion.

It is the Dr Z one. It is there I promise. Check it out please tell me what you think.

Attachments

• [TM] Mr Z Mz-38.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 16
When adding in a second voice, you have two level options: keep the dry tone level consistent or keep the overall mix level consistent. You can't have both. For nearly all the blocks, the Mix parameter compensates the overall block level to stay the same as you change the wet/dry blend. As a result, the dry level will drop with any mix setting higher that 0% wet. The Delay block is the exception as it has a different mix law. To keep the dry level consistent for all the other blocks, either put the block in parallel at 100% wet and use its output level to control the mix, or keep it in series and boost the output level proportionate to the mix setting. Just make sure you set any blocks in parallel to "Mute In" bypass mode to keep from doubling the dry level when bypassed.

It is the Dr Z one. It is there I promise. Check it out please tell me what you think.

You've got the type set to Fixed Harmony and both Voice Shifts are set to 0, which means no pitch shifting. You're losing volume because you're blending dry with almost dry (there is some hi cut going on), so phase cancelling is probably happening.

Since you have the Voice2 Level at 0, I'm going to assume you're only intending on doing one shift, and if I had to guess I would say an octave down.

Here's what the Voice1 Shift should be for an octave down:

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 6.37.27 PM.png

Reactions: JTI
Yeah shift is set to zero. 4 dB block level boost compensates for the 30.2% mix nicely and the dry stays the same level for me. If you turn both voice levels to zero you can compare the active and bypassed dry signals. I hear no difference at all.

You've got the type set to Fixed Harmony and both Voice Shifts are set to 0, which means no pitch shifting. You're losing volume because you're blending dry with almost dry (there is some hi cut going on), so phase cancelling is probably happening.

Since you have the Voice2 Level at 0, I'm going to assume you're only intending on doing one shift, and if I had to guess I would say an octave down.

View attachment 35956
Thanks for this visual. I was SERIOUSLY struggling with the pitch block on the AX. I am not sure if I had it before the amp or what but it sounded terrible. I matched the settings in this screenshot as well as adding a +24 on the second voice and moved it after the filter and amp block in my preset. MUCH, MUCH better. I had given up on pitch shifting but this was a very pleasant turnaround.

View attachment 35956
Not sure you want to pitch after the cab since the soakers resonance frequencies influence it. If go between amp and cab

Back
Top Bottom