Tips/help for 13

J.C

Experienced
Any suggestions for bringing the tone forward like 12? Usually, with the wonderful presets provided I barely tweak anything but the basic amp controls and recently tube type. 13 is great and has the mojo, but the tone in FW 12 has really left a mark on me and I'm yearning for it. Especially that 15 watt vox.

I'd love to know what you pros are doing to personalize your tone. Thanks!

What firmware exactly were you on? 12.04 uses the same code as 13, so it should sound the same. The big thing about going from 12.03 to 12.04 is the speaker page in the amp block. Play around with the LF Resonance & HF Resonance parameters, and turn it up loud! :encouragement:

If you really dig firmware 12 you could always choose what firmware modelling you want to use (IIRC its in the Utilites menu. I don't have my axe here right now to check, but it is in there somewhere.)

EDIT: Cliff beat me to it, haha :p

That explains why there isn't much talk about it. I was just fooling around since I created the topic and I found that turning off the reverb helped. Maybe it has something to do with the new cab stuff?

Load the 10 UltraRes IR's that came with V13. Select your favorite patch. Change the effect type in the cab block to Hi/UltraRes. Set the mic modeling to null. Scroll through the UltraRes IR's you just loaded until you find the one you like. Play, play, play...

Reactions: J.C
Load the 10 UltraRes IR's that came with V13. Select your favorite patch. Change the effect type in the cab block to Hi/UltraRes. Set the mic modeling to null. Scroll through the UltraRes IR's you just loaded until you find the one you like. Play, play, play...

Thanks! I was just trying to open the discussion to those that hopefully have been finding their way with 13. Sorry if I've insulted anyone with my ignorance.

That explains why there isn't much talk about it. I was just fooling around since I created the topic and I found that turning off the reverb helped. Maybe it has something to do with the new cab stuff?

Try Utility -> Presets -> Update all presets

I can't tell a big difference between 12.04b and 13 in the factory presets. But I did the Update all presets thing after loading FW13 so maybe that would help? (I also did a system reset Utility -> Reset)

Reactions: J.C
The amp modeling in 13.xx is IDENTICAL to 12.04 beta.

Really? 13 feels and sounds a bit different to me….for the better actually. Some of my go to amps in 12.04 seemed to have lost their teeth….not enough high end and a bit dark. Now with 13 the bite is back

Hey Scary,

Sorry if my post sounded terse. Just typed the quick steps to get the UltraRes going. I read a few posts and farted around a bit before I got it. Work from there, good hunting.

Sorry for the maybe dumb question .... Why putting the mic modeling to null that make the proximity effect adjustable instead of letting on NONE that is ( actually IMO ) desiderable to listen and enjoy the tonal nuances of this incredible UR ?

Adjusting proximity is a powerful tool but at the moment of scrolling between various sounds I really don't see any advantage ...

From the release notes

Added “Null” microphone type to Cabinet block. This type has no coloration but allows the Proximity effect to be employed.

Went back and set it to none and the proximity doesn't do anything in that mode. Didn't want to add any mics, at least at first to the UltraRes IR's to check them out. Some of them have the mic's mixed in.

Hey Scary,

Sorry if my post sounded terse. Just typed the quick steps to get the UltraRes going. I read a few posts and farted around a bit before I got it. Work from there, good hunting.

Not at all machenmusic, thanks for the input. Between rebooting, and reseting everything I could, then resetting input values... I can now enjoy it in all it's glory.

Back
Top Bottom