tips for taming the CPU

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
For those out there who want to get the most out of their Axe-FX II, here are some tips to tame the CPU. Some are obvious, some not.

• disconnect the USB-cable (0.6%)
  • use X/Y instead of implementing 2 blocks
  • reduce the shunts (0.1%)
  • reduce the controllers (0.5%)
  • set the input gate to OFF (2%)
  • use a PEQ (1,2%), GEQ (0,7%), FILT (0,9%) or controllers on the TRIM/DRIVE/BOOST/MASTER parameters (0.5% each) instead of a DRIVE block (9.1%)
  • use CAB Lo Resolution instead of HI/ST (6,5%) or even better a TONEMATCH instead of HI/ST (8,5%)
    (you can easily tonematch your stereo cab http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/59224-tone-matching-internal-cab.html)
  • Use a different type in a block. As an example here are the procents of the different DELAY TYPES:
    • digital mono/stereo: 4.3%
    • analog mono/stereo: 5.8%
    • mono tape: 6.7%
    • stereo tape: 5.9%
    • ping-pong: 5.3%
    • dual delay: 5.3%
    • reverse: 3.1%
    • sweep: 6.7%
    • ducking: 5.5%
    • vintage digital: 5.3%
    • 2290 with mod: 5.2%
    • ambient stereo: 7.8%

Any other tips are welcome!

use a RING MOD instead of a PITCH - OCTAVE DIV will save you 0.8%

also the drive parameter set to 0 will save you 0.6% on the DELAY, FLANGE, CHORUS, WAH block. (it does not affect on the ROTARY and CAB block)

Last edited:
Use the internal Graphic EQ in the AMP BLOCK instead of an extra GEQ BLOCK (0,7%)

Another CPU saver is to lower the density in the Reverb block. That will save around a percentage point for each value you lower it.

You can also change the number of springs - makes a CPU difference of a couple %

How much does scenes affect the CPU?

How much does the FX loop affect the CPU?

Is the CPU for amps, cabs, and effects getting larger with each firmware update, or are they figuring out ways to make it smaller with each firmware update?
Will version 10 increase the CPU?

Is it possible to update the memory on your Axe FXII like you can on computers so this isn't a problem? If so, how do you do it?

Any other tips? I am hitting the CPU wall on the Axe FXII way too much when trying to create presets.

How much does scenes affect the CPU?
AFAIK scenes don't take more CPU.

How much does the FX loop affect the CPU?
FX Loop is only taking 0.8 %

Is the CPU for amps, cabs, and effects getting larger with each firmware update, or are they figuring out ways to make it smaller with each firmware update?
Will version 10 increase the CPU?
Hard to predict. AFAIK the latest firmware updates didn't need more CPU. In fact, Cliff sometimes decreases the CPU on an update

Is it possible to update the memory on your Axe FXII like you can on computers so this isn't a problem? If so, how do you do it?
No

Any other tips? I am hitting the CPU wall on the Axe FXII way too much when trying to create presets.

I myself have a very complicated Routing, but with these tips I managed to control them. This is my current routing

Axe-FX II FX-chain.jpg

I like to see a patch with your routing

Attachments

• Axe-FX II FX-chain.jpg
    Axe-FX II FX-chain.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I myself have a very complicated Routing, but with these tips I managed to control them. This is my current routing

I like to see a patch with your routing

Thanks for your answers to my questions.

My routing is very similar to yours.
I took a screen shot of my routing but was unable to attach it.

My routing is Gate / blank (was a compressor but had to delete it) / Wah / Pitch / Phaser / Drive 1 / Drive 2 / Amp / Cab (had to change it to mono lo res) / Chorus / Flanger / Send / Return / Rotary / Trem / Vol / Delay 1 / Delay 2 / Multi Delay 1 / Reverb 1 / Looper.

The amp in my chain is a 65 Bassman and the cab is a lo-res 4x12 Basketweave G12M25.
I wanted to use a stereo cab but it overloaded the Axe FX.
I changed the cab to mono hi-res but it still overloaded.
I wanted a compressor but that overloaded it also.

I had to delete the compressor and change the cab from stereo to mono, then again to mono lo res to get the CPU to 91. The Axe FX does not work at all if I try to add anything else. The sound turns to total distortion and the CPU overload starts flashing if I try to add anything else, even add a compressor.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers to my questions.

My routing is very similar to yours.
I took a screen shot of my routing but was unable to attach it.

My routing is Gate / blank (was a compressor but had to delete it) / Wah / Pitch / Phaser / Drive 1 / Drive 2 / Amp / Cab (had to change it to mono lo res) / Chorus / Flanger / Send / Return / Rotary / Trem / Vol / Delay 1 / Delay 2 / Multi Delay 1 / Reverb 1 / Looper.

The amp in my chain is a 65 Bassman and the cab is a lo-res 4x12 Basketweave G12M25.
I wanted to use a stereo cab but it overloaded the Axe FX.
I changed the cab to mono hi-res but it still overloaded.
I wanted a compressor but that overloaded it also.

I had to delete the compressor and change the cab from stereo to mono, then again to mono lo res to get the CPU to 89. The Axe FX does not work at all if I try to add anything else. The sound turns to total distortion and the CPU overload starts flashing if I try to add anything else, even add a compressor.

Take out the 2nd DRIVE and I think your problem is solved. The Drive block needs much CPU.

To compensate the loss of the 2nd DRIVE, try:

• using X/Y on drive1
  • using a Filter or PEQ for a boost
  • using a second AMP with the same amp-type but hotter setting. Set bypass mode of both to MUTE and use CC's to switch between them

For the COMP use pedal1/2, they don't need that much cpu as studio.

CAB mono Hi-Res is the same as Stereo for CPU-cost. But you can't hear the difference using Lo-Res.
If you want to use stereo cabs, then I suggest you use the http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/59224-tone-matching-internal-cab.html solution.
You can either use the TMA-block or export them as a Lo-Res IR Cab (I use the last solution since I mostly use the same Stereo Cab)

Good Luck!

Take out the 2nd DRIVE and I think your problem is solved. The Drive block needs much CPU.

To compensate the loss of the 2nd DRIVE, try:

• using X/Y on drive1
  • using a Filter or PEQ for a boost
  • using a second AMP with the same amp-type but hotter setting. Set bypass mode of both to MUTE and use CC's to switch between them

For the COMP use pedal1/2, they don't need that much cpu as studio.

CAB mono Hi-Res is the same as Stereo for CPU-cost. But you can't hear the difference using Lo-Res.
If you want to use stereo cabs, then I suggest you use the http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/59224-tone-matching-internal-cab.html solution.
You can either use the TMA-block or export them as a Lo-Res IR Cab (I use the last solution since I mostly use the same Stereo Cab)

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the tips. Really useful info. Ideally I like to use stereo cabs with different cab and mike settings. I will check into the tone matching internal cab solution. I have no idea how to do that right now, but I'll learn.

I noticed a lot of pro players like Steve Vai use the Axe FXII for effects only in the fx loop of their real amps, and still use their favorite wah and drive pedals etc, on the floor. This would save CPU.

Adrian Belew uses a Boss compressor in front of his Axe FX and a fuzz pedal and harmony machine on the floor, and uses a looper in his laptop.

I haven't tried it yet but I am considering adding an fx loop block in my Axe FX signal chain and using my Eventide and TC pedals to do pitch, delay, and reverb to save CPU on the Axe FXII. Where in the chain is the best place to add an effects loop block for something like that?

I am also considering using my old drive pedals and wah in front of the Axe FXII to save CPU.

This thread is very helpful. I am trying to make a template that is capable of doing all the things my old pedalboard did, and just change the amps and cabs for different presets. So far I keep running into CPU limits, but I am closing in on a solution. Getting closer every day.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet but I am considering adding an fx loop block in my Axe FX signal chain and using my Eventide and TC pedals to do pitch, delay, and reverb to save CPU on the Axe FXII. Where in the chain is the best place to add an effects loop block for something like that?

Anywhere after the AMP-block I would suggest

I am also considering using my old drive pedals and wah in front of the Axe FXII to save CPU.
Wah is only 1%, but the DRIVE blocks use a lot of CPU

Using mono lores CAB and this tip from Sean did it for me. suddenly I had +5% on my patches!

Another CPU saver is to lower the density in the Reverb block. That will save around a percentage point for each value you lower it.

Thanks for all your help. I experimented with all the tips from this thread and was able to create a preset that had all of the effects I originally wanted at 84 CPU.

I had to use one mono lo-res cabinet instead of a stereo cabinet which I would have liked, but it helped lower the CPU. I lowered the density in the reverb which helped also. I changed from a straight row with everything in series and send and returns to extend it into a second row, to one row with some effects in series and some in parallel on either side of the main row. It cut down on the amount of cables and shunts. I used almost all of the tips in this thread. It made a big difference.

What about the midi option "Send Realtime SysEx" (NONE/ALL/TUNER/TEMPO)? Fine-tuning it makes a difference?

What about the midi option "Send Realtime SysEx" (NONE/ALL/TUNER/TEMPO)? Fine-tuning it makes a difference?

Doesn't seem to affect the CPU.

What does affect is the use of USB (roughly 1%)

Back
Top Bottom