Tips for single coil presets?

Fatjac

Inspired
As per the title. Does anyone have any tips or advice for choosing amps/ cabs/ drives for use with single coil guitars. Mostly strats. I'm getting some fantastic sounds with clean sounds, delays, reverbs etc but there's just something amiss when I'm trying to get a crunch or heavier tone. Thin, brittle is the way that I would describe it.

I reckon that quite a few of this community will have been through the same process so I would appreciate the benefit of your experience please!

As per the title. Does anyone have any tips or advice for choosing amps/ cabs/ drives for use with single coil guitars. Mostly strats. I'm getting some fantastic sounds with clean sounds, delays, reverbs etc but there's just something amiss when I'm trying to get a crunch or heavier tone. Thin, brittle is the way that I would describe it.

I reckon that quite a few of this community will have been through the same process so I would appreciate the benefit of your experience please!
I think the quickest way to tame the brittleness of single coils is to roll-off the tone knob on the guitar to 5-6.
Otherwise try a peq or a drive like a ts808 or similar in front of the amp (my favourite lately has been the ruckus ge) to boost the mids and cut the highs.

Wow thanks for the quick responses!

I did try a search before but I guess that it's just down to the search string used...

Thanks all. I aim to get the Austin Buddy sometime soon.

Belfast great preset! Adapting to my needs as we speak.

Boost the amp input parameter to 1.7-2.0 and add a FET boost or clean set drive pedal like TS. Check and choose IR, eventually push up a bit the null mic between 2 - 5 and cut highs above 7k. Then eq to taste. A little reverb with 40-100ms predelay might help to fatten up or try room parameter in cab block.
It's really easy no need to buy anything. Eventually try the modified Glenn Delaune matchless patch I put on axechange.

Back
Top Bottom