Adam Kukulj

Hi, New here just wanted to know if there any tip's to avoid pit falls or to just start off right, for when you first hook up the unit and get started. I've read the owners manual once and realize it'll take a lot more reading, understanding and time. I'm expecting delivery mid December. There's so much to it, its insane. Cheers Adam

Welcome to the machine! It's easy to get confused and overwhelmed but take a week or so and simply get used to the workflow and gain an understanding of how things operate on the unit and in Axe-Edit III.

Download the manual to a computer. Using the search function within the PDF will make it easy to locate topics, I still use it after more than a year.
Bookmark the Axe Fx Wiki - https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx3

Go through all of the parameters in each block you use. Knowing how they affect the tone and where to find them will go a long way to making it easy to dial in exactly what you want. Try using the factory IRs before falling into the IR rabbit hole.

Don't be afraid to ask questions but do a little homework on terminology and basic operations of the Axe III.
When creating tones, approach it like you would a physical amp, cab and pedalboard.

Above all, have fun!

Welcome! Here are some quick tips that have helped me.

1. Once you have blocks setup how you like them, be sure and utilize the Blocks library save feature in Axe Edit
2. Once you figure out your preset layout, save as template, for quick access/recall
3. Utilize the Preset Leveling feature in Axe Edit
4. Dial in your presets loud (around 90db) if you are tweaking for live gigging preset
5. Try not and get caught up in advanced parameters
6. Don't get caught up in the vast library of IRs. Pick one that you like, and make it work for you
7. Low Cuts and High cuts in the Cab block (or the PEQ block) are very useful for dialing in live gigging presets

1606144210515.png

I made a folder of all of the following bookmarks when I was getting used to it. I find them each invaluable. Don't have time to copy paste all the links, but some googlefu should help you find everything here.

I would start by making your own presets rather than going through a million presets. A simple signal chain. Amp / Cab / Reverb.

I also posted this in another thread, but this helped me a lot:

I got a few helpful tips from long time users and pros and maybe they’ll be helpful to you as well:

• in the amp block under the speaker tab, make sure your impedance curve matches the speaker ir you are using in the cab. I definitely noticed that this is important in terms of feel. But you can always try out different things
  • in the cab block under the preamp tab, increase high cut to 20k. It will give you the most realistic response (you can always cut afterwards)
  • in the amp block under the dynamics tab, try the gain enhancer output compression around 1-2. Works really great for overall playing feel and with volume knob.

You've already done something great by RTFM.

Dive in, have fun, ask thoughtful questions – but whatever else you do, DO NOT MAKE FORUM SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE USER INTERFACE unless you have exceedingly thick skin...

Back
Top Bottom