Tips for modeling my favorite drives? (SL Drive, Sovereign, Timmy)

Happy FX8 owner for about 9 months now. When I got the FX8, I thought the trickiest thing would be replacing my beloved dirt pedals, and that has indeed turned out to be the case. Currently I have an Emma Stinkbug, an Xotic SL Drive, a Wampler Sovereign, and a Timmy in MIDI-controlled loops (RJM Mini Effect Gizmo) in front of the FX8. It's actually a pretty slick setup, one stomp on the FX8 changes scenes and selects the appropriate drive pedal via MIDI PC.

However, for simplicity's sake I'm really interested in ditching the drive pedals and going 100% FX8 for everything, so lately I've been working on dialing in the FX8's drives to replace my pedals. I'm really close on the Stinkbug using the FX8's T808, but having a tougher time getting the other tones.

So - any tips and tricks for replacing the following pedals / tones using drives in the FX8?

-Wampler Soverign
-Xotic SL Drive
-Timmy

Interesting question. I only know the Timmy as I have one, so can't comment on the tone of the others. I'm guessing here, but maybe you'd have luck using EQs and compressors along with some of the drives in the FX8 to get you where you need to be?

Yes, I can shape the tone with EQ and compression, but the Fractal drives are so tweakable, with so many parameters, that I have to think a reasonable approximation of these tones can be had within the drive block itself.

Happy FX8 owner for about 9 months now. When I got the FX8, I thought the trickiest thing would be replacing my beloved dirt pedals, and that has indeed turned out to be the case. Currently I have an Emma Stinkbug, an Xotic SL Drive, a Wampler Sovereign, and a Timmy in MIDI-controlled loops (RJM Mini Effect Gizmo) in front of the FX8. It's actually a pretty slick setup, one stomp on the FX8 changes scenes and selects the appropriate drive pedal via MIDI PC.

However, for simplicity's sake I'm really interested in ditching the drive pedals and going 100% FX8 for everything, so lately I've been working on dialing in the FX8's drives to replace my pedals. I'm really close on the Stinkbug using the FX8's T808, but having a tougher time getting the other tones.

So - any tips and tricks for replacing the following pedals / tones using drives in the FX8?

-Wampler Soverign
-Xotic SL Drive
-Timmy

I feel your pain. I think the FAS guys need to put as much effort into modeling dirt pedals as they do amps, if they aren't already.

For simulating my Timmy pedal, I used the Esoteric RCB and changed the Clip Type to Variable. Then I have to tweak pretty much every parameter (drive, tone, hi/lo cut, EQ gains, clip shape, slew limit, and bias) and I can get really close to a "snapshot" of the current settings I have on the Timmy. If I want to adjust the gain as if on the Timmy, I have to adjust the drive and retweak other parameters. You just have to use your ears and iterate through each setting, A/B'ing with the real thing as you go.

This method gets me really close to the sound, but doesn't provide quite the same touch sensitivity.

I did this excercise for testing only though, as I still have the real Timmy on the board.

Back
Top Bottom