Tips for IEM and what you hear vs FOH send???

Do you use this on FOH? If not, how do you run the IEM separate/. I know you would need to use another output, but how to run from there?
Yes, I run the enhancer block right before output 1 which runs direct to the stage boxes. I don't run a separate line for IEMs, my IEMs generally come from a monitor console side stage. The enhancer block won't make a huge difference in FOH where there's not a huge stereo image. I've never heard anyone complain that my stereo image is "too wide," haha.

This is what the output section of all my presets looks like:

Untitled.png

This is what it would look like if I had a separate IEM feed and for some reason wanted to run the enhancer block to my IEMs and a non-enhanced signal to FOH. I would not recommend this as it just adds unnecessary complication to your setup:

Untitled2.png

Note that I do bypass the enhancer block while tracking at home or in the studio because if I want a wide stereo image for a part I will just double track the part and hard pan it, which is better than "faking" it with a widener or enhancer block.

Last edited:
Yes, I run the enhancer block right before output 1 which runs direct to the stage boxes. I don't run a separate line for IEMs, my IEMs generally come from a monitor console side stage. The enhancer block won't make a huge difference in FOH where there's not a huge stereo image. I've never heard anyone complain that my stereo image is "too wide," haha.

This is what the output section of all my presets looks like:

View attachment 84264

This is what it would look like if I had a separate IEM feed and for some reason wanted to run the enhancer block to my IEMs and a non-enhanced signal to FOH. I would not recommend this as it just adds unnecessary complication to your setup:

View attachment 84265

Note that I do bypass the enhancer block while tracking at home or in the studio because if I want a wide stereo image for a part I will just double track the part and hard pan it, which is better than "faking" it with a widener or enhancer block.
Modern, Classic, Stereolizer or Chocolate?

Modern, Classic, Stereolizer or Chocolate?
I use the modern because it's mono compatible.

Also it's worth noting that I dial in my tones through studio monitors in a treated room (my home studio) so I can be confident in how they will sound when running direct live. That is far more important than how they sound in my particular IEMs which are quite nice but not necessarily super flat. If I used my IEMs to dial in tones the results would be less than ideal in FOH, and that's what I get paid for, so that's what matters.

Adjustments for each room are made on the FOH console by the FOH engineer when he tunes for the room, using EQ on the main outs, not on an individual channel basis. 99% of the time when I work with a new engineer they leave my EQ basically flat because I do all the important EQ on my end.

Last edited:
Adjustments for each room are made on the FOH console by the FOH engineer when he tunes for the room, using EQ on the main outs, not on an individual channel basis. 99% of the time when I work with a new engineer they leave my EQ basically flat because I do all the important EQ on my end.
I totally second that. As also being a sound engineer, I always EQ my sends rather than each channel. Then the sends are as close to flat as can be, so each move on the channel level translates the same across each send. So I can EQ my mains, monitors, live streams, and whatever else I need and have my channel level EQ’s translate the same across each send and be much more effective. Also EQing out problem frequencies in the room on each channel would get extremely tedious and would cause problems in monitor and live stream mixes.

You can also use a stereo Cab block with panning... Not that I've got anything against the Enhancer. I also prefer it on in my IEM mix. But I like Stereoizer better.
Stock settings for the Stereoizer? Do you run he Stereoizer through FOH and keep it easy?

Stock settings for the Stereoizer? Do you run he Stereoizer through FOH and keep it easy?
I currently do run it on my main output... We have our own IEM system with a splitter snake for FOH.

I send the same signal to both but I have plans to send a different signal to FOH than to my IEMs so I can remove that and also potentially have a different Reverb for my ears.

I too like Unix-guy, prefer the Stereolizer best. I heard Modern is stereo collapsible. I use stereo for FOH and my IEM, but I dial tones in on a mono Xitone cab(that is unfreaking believable BTW!). Should I create patches with it off, then just flip the ENhance block on once the patch is dialed? Obviously I am trying to not run separate for FOH that does not have it. Just looking for a best practice scenario. Thanks!

Anyone have answer to my question above?

Sounds like a personal preference thing and shouldn't be hard to test it out for yourself.

You're using Out 1 for everything so use your in-ears from the headphone socket on the AxeFX to see what it sounds like with the enhancer engaged while the Xitone is still running the mono (turn it's volume down after dialling at a higher working volume).

If your aim is lower stage volume by going in-ear permanently now and using stereo to IEM/ FOH the mono Xitone is really of secondary importance as far as stage work is concerned - you personally won't really be hearing it - the FOH gets the DI feed and controls your levels and corrective EQ for the room. Might be best to use the Xitone facing you or as a side-fill rather than outward facing backline - it will be more for guitar/speaker interaction rather than volume.

Sounds like a personal preference thing and shouldn't be hard to test it out for yourself.

You're using Out 1 for everything so use your in-ears from the headphone socket on the AxeFX to see what it sounds like with the enhancer engaged while the Xitone is still running the mono (turn it's volume down after dialling at a higher working volume).

If your aim is lower stage volume by going in-ear permanently now and using stereo to IEM/ FOH the mono Xitone is really of secondary importance as far as stage work is concerned - you personally won't really be hearing it - the FOH gets the DI feed and controls your levels and corrective EQ for the room. Might be best to use the Xitone facing you or as a side-fill rather than outward facing backline - it will be more for guitar/speaker interaction rather than volume.
Sounds good and thanks. I have the Xitone in backline with shield in front of it. There probably will be times I won't use IEM and also the bassist and the singer use regular monitors and like to hear me onstage.

Sorry mate I don’t, trying to conceptualize this a little better for myself.
So all of these above options can only be done if you’re running stereo to FOH AND stereo in your IEM mix?
I think you can do whatever you want with the layout. Possibilities are almost endless

The best tip I can give after butchering a lot of presets on IEMs is to program your sounds through studio monitors and make sure they sound great when you give them some volume to make sure they’ll translate well at FOH. When you put your IEMs in, DO NOT tweak your tones. You’re much better off putting an EQ on your master mix and tweaking that so your overall in-ear mix is more neutral.

Most IEMs have hyped bass or top end, so correcting that at the monitor console will make your entire mix sound better.

I’ve got a pair of Ultimate Ears UE11’s that I hated (but that’s what the whole band and monitor tech have, so we all heard the same thing). I made an EQ curve at my studio to flatten them out and gave it to our monitor guy to put on my mix. He loved it and ended up using it for everyone’s mixes and everyone was able to hear the band more clearly by getting rid of the boosted frequencies the IEM’s were producing.

Hopefully this helps.

The best tip I can give after butchering a lot of presets on IEMs is to program your sounds through studio monitors and make sure they sound great when you give them some volume to make sure they’ll translate well at FOH. When you put your IEMs in, DO NOT tweak your tones. You’re much better off putting an EQ on your master mix and tweaking that so your overall in-ear mix is more neutral.

Most IEMs have hyped bass or top end, so correcting that at the monitor console will make your entire mix sound better.

I’ve got a pair of Ultimate Ears UE11’s that I hated (but that’s what the whole band and monitor tech have, so we all heard the same thing). I made an EQ curve at my studio to flatten them out and gave it to our monitor guy to put on my mix. He loved it and ended up using it for everyone’s mixes and everyone was able to hear the band more clearly by getting rid of the boosted frequencies the IEM’s were producing.

Hopefully this helps.
How did you figure out the EQ curve you needed to apply? Or how did you figure out which frequencies to change to achieve a flatter response?

How did you figure out the EQ curve you needed to apply? Or how did you figure out which frequencies to change to achieve a flatter response?
I’m imported a Paramore song into Pro Tools since that’s tonally the closest to what we do live. Then I pulled up FabFilter Pro-Q and listened to the song through my in ears and EQ’ed it to sound more natural by cutting low end, doing a wide Q midrange bump around 1dB, and then using a subtle low pass to even out the hissy frequencies up top. Once the song sounded natural, I copied the settings and handed them to our monitor guy who manually input the values on my mix master. My IEMs never sounded better.

I’m imported a Paramore song into Pro Tools since that’s tonally the closest to what we do live. Then I pulled up FabFilter Pro-Q and listened to the song through my in ears and EQ’ed it to sound more natural by cutting low end, doing a wide Q midrange bump around 1dB, and then using a subtle low pass to even out the hissy frequencies up top. Once the song sounded natural, I copied the settings and handed them to our monitor guy who manually input the values on my mix master. My IEMs never sounded better.
Dang that’s cool. Would you have any idea what the EQ curve for Shure SE535’s would be?

Dang that’s cool. Would you have any idea what the EQ curve for Shure SE535’s would be?
I’ve never tried them, so I don’t know what they sound like. You can take a shot using the method above and see how the results treat you. At the end of the day, your ears know what they want to hear, so try some stuff until it sounds good. Take a break. And then come back to it with fresh ears and make sure it still sounds good. If it does, you’re all set, and just copy your EQ settings. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom