Tips for Hi-Gain Lead Tones?

drawnacrol

Inspired
Hey, I'm having trouble getting juicy hi-gain lead tones so any tips you guys could share would be really appreciated!!

I've no trouble with rhythms since they tend to follow a typical chain:
Tubescreamer Drive 0 Tone 5 Level 5-7 - Peavey or Diezel Amp set to taste - Cab - Hi+Lo Pass - Shelf EQ to sometimes cut highs or lows

What drive - amp - cabs do people recommend for tones like this?

Necrophagist:
Muhammed Suiçmez - Solo Compilation - YouTube

Scar Symmetry:
Scar Symmetry - Ghost Prototype I - Measurement of Thought - YouTube

Unearth:
Unearth Top 10 Solos - YouTube

Cheers!

Hi, sorry I don't have answers on this one, but I'm very interessted what one of the "tone-hunting-pros" says about this.

For Hi-Gain rhythms I really like the 5150 (FAS6160 to be exact.), but else the same as you.

For leads, well it really depends on my daily mood. :D
Sometimes I give the mentioned setup just a bit more gain and add a bit delay/reverb.. done!

Recently GuitarDojo posted a nice sounding patch imo. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...brit-800-mod-reminds-me-dokken-lynch-mob.html
And I really think it's a good base for a decent lead tone.

I saw only one of the bands you mentioned live: Necrophagist.
Wikipedia says Muhammed used different Engl Amps. But iirc I saw one of them using a Marshall, but well, years ago.

On youtube I found some videos showing them using a Marshall and a Mesa (the hell knows which stuff they play there)? Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains (Live at Unirock Open Air Fest Istanbul, 03.07.10) - YouTube
And there, idk tbh: Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains - Hellfest 2010 - YouTube

I hope this gives this thread a bump and gets the needed tone-pro here. ;)

OT: I hope they new album is coming "soon". *SCNR* :lol

a great place to start is the 5153Red
turn on the bright, sat and boost switches
drive about 4 or 5
MV between 3 and 4
set the comp [in the amp block] to 20 to 30
you can even pop a vol block in front with the level set to 10dB to hot up the signal

pop it through the 4x12 Basketweave TX Mix cab
if it gets a little fizzy, hi-cut down to 7500 to 8000
or for a softer cut on the extreme highs, go to the amp block: EQ page and drop the 8k fader by 4dB to 6dB

pop is through about 3s to 5 sec of reverb [cathedral type]
add a delay, one louder repeat followed by one soft on the feedback control with a time around 600ms

eq to taste and it should sing...

Cheers guys! I'll try all those later and see how I get on.

Would you recommend using drives in front of the amps?

says here that the Scar symmetry guys are using Engl
Scar Symmetry, amps? - Ultimate Metal Forum]
I posted a Powerball shred patch up here that I kind of "honed in" while playing "Calculate the Apocolypse" and it works pretty well for rhythm and lead
find the thread in the forum because I use to IRs that I forgot to post on the exchange but I added them to the thread and give it a try and see if it works for you.
here's the thread
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/67328-heavy-powerbal-7-string-patch.html
Ir's are attached to last post in thread

Back
Top Bottom